Music: Last Album You Listened To And Rate It III

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
The Jesus & Mary Chain - Darklands (1987) - 4/5

Most of the songs sound the same so I had to give this a lot of listens before rating but most of them grew. The first six songs in particular are good and it's a nice 37 minute length. I'll also say that it's far better than their debut because of how there isn't a buzzsaw running in the background the whole time. Might buy this one on CD if I see it for under $5 or so somewhere.

Reactions: Darren Lamb

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Orbus Terrarum by The Orb - 2.5 (Good)

This would have been perfect and a lot more cohesive if it just ended at White River Junction (making the album a good 40-50 minutes long) instead of messily meandering on for two extra weaker tracks that take forever and feel kind of out of place.

Beyond that, I prefer this style much more than the Orb's other acclaimed albums-- it sounds a little less dated, IMO.

Montagne D'or and Plateau are great, Oxbow Lakes is good, Valley and White River Junction are modestly solid and serviceable, and Occidental and Slug Dub are misses.

Last edited:

stringerbell

Dec 26, 2018
Im currently doing a project where i try to listen to each album in the 1001 albums you must hear before you die book.
There's a lot of stuff in there thats great and i havent heard before. Obviously some not so great stuff as well, but i try to at least give each album a fair chance.

To my help, i use this neat little site. Giving me a new album each day and then i can rate it: 1001 Albums Generator

For today i got this, which i've listened to before and its excellent. Great energy and really nice lyrics.
Probably my favorite Sonic Youth album together with E.V.O.L.

7dd333d532859aa7a3b2c863daa6b7074c91f07d

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Facepuller: Auditory Surgical Technicians.

Had this CD sitting around in my collection since the early 90's, but I realized I couldn't remember ever having listened to it. Facepuller were a local Vancouver band from the time when I was in the local music scene, and they were good friends with Matt Goode's first bass player, who was a good friend of mine, and who worked at the rehearsal space where a lot of bands hung out. Honestly can't remember if I bought the CD or if it was given to me at some point; anyway, finally got around to listening to it last night. For some reason, I remembered Facepuller as being thrash or metal, but they're much more punk and noise rock. Lead singer's a tuneless shouter. CD sounds like it's recorded in a tile bathroom. Drums sound like plastic tubs. I remember the bass player had a habit of breaking strings a lot because he deliberately used strings for a 5-string bass and tuned them up; b string in place of the e string, e in place of the a, etc. That was more interesting than anything on the CD.

Thoroughly meh. Never been a huge punk fan.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Loop-Finding-Jazz-Records by Jan Jelinek - 2.5 or 3.0 (Good/Very Good) [really minimal, pristine, and clinical although it continues this weird trend of calling things that aren't jazz jazz]
Cirque by Biosphere - 2.5 (Good) [really great chilly, modern sound. Less atmospheric and transporting than Substrata, but more conventionally musical and pleasant]
Systemiche by Oval - 2.0 (Positive) [love the sound but it does feel a bit directionless and same-y]
Apollo by Brian Eno - 2.0 (Positive) [would like it more without the overly warm/sentimental/twangy guitar pieces]

1.5 or lower (Neutral or worse, aka. Didn't care):
Orblivion by The Orb [it's tightly produced but front-loaded and a bit uninteresting]
Serial Hodgepodge by Lusine
The Ship by Brian Eno
Not For Threes by Plaid
Fahrenheit Fair Enough
In Sides by Orbital
Surrounded by Tipper
Asect: Dsect by Richard Devine

Lunatic Harness by u-Ziq [His melodic sensibilities seem really cornball, to my ears]

Didn't really aggressively hate anything, though.

Highlights:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Def Leppard - On Through The Night

I was a huge fan of Def Leppard as a kid. I was born in 1985 so I got to listening to them pretty early on in my life, which happened to be during their peak. Everyone talks about Pyromania and Hysteria but OTTN gets very overlooked.

This is very late 70s/ early 80s hard rock. A little bit of synth in songs like Hello America, but for the most part it’s just straight hard rock. Some great guitar work from Steve Clark and Pete Willis and a fantastic drum performance from Rick Allen. The vocals are a bit hit or miss from Joe Elliott, some off key notes here and there. Lyrically, it’s mostly songs about women and sex, but this album features probably the darkest lyrics Def Leppard have ever written in When The Walls Came Tumbling Down. As far as the songs go. Most of them are really solid to great, the only 2 I usually skip are Rocks Off and It Don’t Matter. If you like 70s/80s hard rock this one is right up your alley.

Overall score: 8.5/10

Highlight tracks: Rock Brigade, Hello America, It Could Be You, Satellite, When the Walls Came Tumbling Down, Wasted, Answer to the Master, Overture.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Pop by Gas - 4.0 (Flawless) [still think this is his strongest album]
Konigsforst by Gas - 3.0 (Very Good) [track by track it's incredible, but I don't think it comes together that well as a cohesive whole]
Zauberberg by Gas - 1.5 or 2.0 (Neutral/Positive) [the bookends are great, but it's too beat-heavy in the middle for my liking-- his ambient stuff is more interesting than his techno stuff for me]

Also, Confield continues to solidify itself into absolute favorite/untouchable album territority for me.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Listened to the 2nd Lush album, got really excited, listened to the 3rd, it really sucks. Ironically my least favourite song on it has Jarvis Cocker of Pulp on it.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Eagles Live at the Inglewood Forum, with Vince Gill sitting in. Also, Glenn Frey's son on guitar.

Also on video. 10/10. Flawless. Harmonies to kill.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oversteps by Autechre - 1.5 (Neutral) [I skipped to this one because I was a little hesitant to try the other post-Confield stuff, which are supposedly inaccessible and don't necessarily have the best reputation/reward at the end of the tunnel. Love See On See-- Reminds me of 14:31 by Global Communication but far better in my opinion. Was looking at reviews for this after listening to it, and man, there are a lot of Autechre fans *****ing all over Confield and what came after and calling this a return to form. I don't know, it's a pretty okay album, but not spectacular, while Confield's a masterpiece. I'm expecting a lot of the stuff in between the two to be tedious though.]

Supermodified by Amon Tobin - 2.0 (Positive)
Out From Out Where by Amon Tobin - 1.5 (Neutral)
Permutations by Amon Tobin - 1.0 or 1.5 (Negative or Neutral)
Bricolage by Amon Tobin - 1.0 (Negative)

I'm not really sure what to make of Amon Tobin. Seems like a technical perfectionist who has a lot of skill and has an appealing sound that's right up my alley, but the albums have a lot of drag despite a variety of ideas and it just never really comes together into anything all that memorable or that I really want to listen to again.

Highlight:

[some Amon Tobin tracks were better than others, but this is the only track out of the albums I listened to that I actually think highly of]

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Oversteps by Autechre - 1.5 or 2.0 (Neutral or Positive) [I skipped to this one because I was a little hesitant to try the other post-Confield stuff, which are supposedly inaccessible and don't necessarily have the best reputation/reward at the end of the tunnel. Love See On See-- Reminds me of 14:31 by Global Communication but far better in my opinion. Was looking at reviews for this after listening to it, and man, there are a lot of Autechre fans *****ing all over Confield and what came after and calling this a return to form. I don't know, it's a pretty okay album, but not spectacular, while Confield's a masterpiece. I'm expecting a lot of the stuff in between the two to be tedious though.]

Supermodified by Amon Tobin - 1.5 or 2.0 (Neutral or Positive)
Out From Out Where by Amon Tobin - 1.5 (Neutral)
Permutations by Amon Tobin - 1.0 or 1.5 (Negative or Neutral)
Bricolage by Amon Tobin - 1.0 (Negative)

I'm not really sure what to make of Amon Tobin. Seems like a technical perfectionist who has a lot of skill and has an appealing sound that's right up my alley, but the albums have a lot of drag despite a variety of ideas and it just never really comes together into anything all that memorable or that I really want to listen to again.

Highlight:

[some Amon Tobin tracks were better than others, but this is the only track out of the albums I listened to that I actually think highly of]

Given how much you like Confield, you might want to listen to Draft 7.30 some time soon. It's among Autechre's best works, and generally held in much higher regard than both Quaristice and Oversteps. It manages to somehow be less melodic than Confield, but also less austere - so not a terribly difficult listen.

On the other hand, Untilted is a strong contender for their most challenging record, so I would tend to agree about this one being somewhat inaccessible. It has a very aggressive, percussive/staccato feel. Extremely dense tracks.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Bring Me The Horizon - Post Human: Survivor Horror

8.5 / 10

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Given how much you like Confield, you might want to listen to Draft 7.30 some time soon. It's among Autechre's best works, and generally held in much higher regard than both Quaristice and Oversteps. It manages to somehow be less melodic than Confield, but also less austere - so not a terribly difficult listen.

On the other hand, Untilted is a strong contender for their most challenging record, so I would tend to agree about this one being somewhat inaccessible. It has a very aggressive, percussive/staccato feel. Extremely dense tracks.
Will do, thanks

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Louis Prima - The Wildest! (1956)
9/ 10

This album is thirty-two minutes of pure, unadulterated fun and there isn't anything wrong with that. Prima, who most here probably best recognize as an animated Disney orangutan, was already a wily veteran at this time with a sound that blended his native New Orleans with the then-emerging mystique of Vegas. Prima's enthusiasm and exuberance--a major influence on Elvis' performances--come across masterfully here. Newly-minted wife Keely Smith gives Prima's zaniness a humorous check a la Alice Kramden.

The standout track here, of course, is "Jump, Jive an' Wail", which sounds every bit as fresh today as it did almost 65 (!!!) years ago. The opener, famously covered by David Lee Roth, is another gem, and Smith makes a compelling case for her future solo career on "(Nothing's Too Good) for My Baby". With its blaring sax, lively scat, and party atmosphere, his is truly an album that wouldn't feel out of place in almost any record collection.

EDIT: Bumping up to a 9. Finally put together a top 100 list and it made the cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: plank

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Analord 10 by Aphex Twin - 3.0 (Very Good)
The start to the Analord series (weirdly begins at 10) is some of his best work and probably a perfect EP from start to finish (both tracks are great). Only thing is that it's not as meaty as album albums because of the length.

Analord 1-9 & 11 by Aphex Twin - 1.5 and lower (Neutral/Didn't really care)
Analord 2 is okay, but I was told that the entire series was incredible, and to my ears, it just sounds like a bunch of EPs with a few minor gems here and there and a whole lot of less impressive and repetitive B-side sounding stuff, not unlike the EPs of most great artists. I liked Phonatacid a lot.

Highlights:
1. XMD5a

2. Fenixfunk 5

3. Phonatacid

Richard D. James albums:
1. Surfing on Sine Waves - 4.5 (Brilliant)
2. Drukqs - 4.0 (Flawless)
3. Selected Ambient Works Vol. II - 4.0 (Flawless)
4. Rushup Edge - 3.5 (Great)
5. Syro - 3.0 (Very Good)
6. Analord 10 - 3.0 (Very Good)
7. Richard D. James Album - 2.5 (Good)
8. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 - 2.5 (Good)
9. Hangable Auto Bulb - 2.0 (Positive)
10. I Care Because You Do - 2.0 (Positive)

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Draft 7.30 by Autechre - 2.5 (Good)
It's definitely more accessible than Confield, but in a way that I found less appealing than Confield (has a very industrial hip-hop sound to it, and seems to rely on some tracks a lot more than others). Still really good, though, with some great standout tracks like Surripere and Reniform Puls. Weakest track for me was TAPR, and I think I still have Amber ahead of this album, but it feels like a grower.

LP5 by Autechre - 1.5 (Neutral)
It's fine, but kind of overrated, and not even that much more accessible than the others, IMO.

Highlights:
1. Surripere

2. Reniform Puls

3. V-PROC

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Happyness - Floatr (2020) - 4/5

dEUS - In A Bar, Under The Sea (1996) - 3/5

Amy Macdonald - The Human Demands (2020) -
3.5/5

Doves - Kingdom of Rust (2009)
- 3.5/5

Lush - Lovelife (1996)
- 2/5

The Cooper Temple Clause - Kick Up the Fire, and Let the Flames Break Loose (2003)
- 3/5

The Cribs - Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever (2007) -
Unlistenable/could not listen to enough times to rate

Oasis - Don't Believe the Truth (2005) -
2.5/5

Travis - 10 Songs (2020) - 3/5

James Dean Bradfield - Even In Exile (2020) - 3.5/5

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Paris Concert: Edition 1 by Bill Evans - 2.5 (Good) [like this alot-- could be a grower]
The Paris Concert: Edition 2 by Bill Evans - 2.0 (Positive) [similar to edition 1 but with fewer standouts]
At the Montreaux Jazz Festival by Bill Evans - 1.5 (Neutral) [I've never been able to click with this one-- not a fan of the drumming and pacing in particular]
Listening to Pictures by Jon Hassell - 0.5 (Bad) [amazing that he's still making music at 80+, but it really pales in comparison to his fourth world stuff]
Seeing Through Sound by Jon Hassell - 0.5 (Bad)

Highlights:

My Romance

I Loves You Porgy

Nardis

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Untilted by Autechre - 4.5 (Brilliant)
This was way easier to listen to than I was lead to believe. To my ears, this Confield -> Draft 7.30 -> Untilted period is WAAAYY more accessible than the Chiastic Slide -> LP5 period. I also largely prefer this fewer long tracks approach over Quarastice's more short tracks approach, and I think I prefer the aesthetic style over Draft 7.30. LCC, Pro Radii, and Ipacial Section were my favorite tracks, but the whole album is very good and nothing struck me as particularly weak. The experimentation feels very immediately interesting and satisfying to me, despite not sounding like anything else I've heard. My favorite Autechre after Confield.

Edit: Starting to become really obsessed with this album. It's incredible. The first half of it is among the best things I've heard.

Quarastice by Autechre - 1.0 (Negative) [the tracks near the beginning and end were okay, and honestly, I love the idea of a more ambient Autechre album (which this only flirts with), but other than that, I didn't get much out of this]

Highlights

LCC

Pro Radii

Ipacial Section

Not sure if I want to keep going through the rest of their discography, though. They're so long and expansive that they seem more like bonus/compilation material rather than real albums, and I'm usually not a fan of massive material dumps in general.

Last edited:

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Louis Prima - The Wildest! (1956)
9/ 10

This album is thirty-two minutes of pure, unadulterated fun and there isn't anything wrong with that. Prima, who most here probably best recognize as an animated Disney orangutan, was already a wily veteran at this time with a sound that blended his native New Orleans with the then-emerging mystique of Vegas. Prima's enthusiasm and exuberance--a major influence on Elvis' performances--come across masterfully here. Newly-minted wife Keely Smith gives Prima's zaniness a humorous check a la Alice Kramden.

The standout track here, of course, is "Jump, Jive an' Wail", which sounds every bit as fresh today as it did almost 65 (!!!) years ago. The opener, famously covered by David Lee Roth, is another gem, and Smith makes a compelling case for her future solo career on "(Nothing's Too Good) for My Baby". With its blaring sax, lively scat, and party atmosphere, his is truly an album that wouldn't feel out of place in almost any record collection.

EDIT: Bumping up to a 9. Finally put together a top 100 list and it made the cut.

Top 100 list goes here:nod:

Music: - Your top-25 albums

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's fun to see someone else loving Closer, people always go with Unkown pleasures (which is still a great album) but Decades is the magnum opus of Joy Divison.
I don't think that's as rare of a sentiment as it might seem. I feel like it's a pretty common trend for people to initially gravitate towards Unknown Pleasures (because the bassy sound is more immediately satisfying and addictive) but then realize that Closer is the tighter and more immaculate/fully realized album.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I don't think that's as rare of a sentiment as it might seem. I feel like it's a pretty common trend for people to initially gravitate towards Unknown Pleasures (because the bassy sound is more immediately satisfying and addictive) but then realize that Closer is the tighter and more immaculate/fully realized album.

I don't know, a lot of my friends that are into post punk pretty much all side with Unknown Pleasures. I personaly enjoy the Warsaw album where they are pretty much a pure punk and 'The leaders of men' is probably my second favorite song of theirs with New dawn fades just behind it, isolation is also up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad