Music: Last Album You Listened to and Rate It II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Surfer Rosa (1988) by Pixies - Decided to listen to this one again after reading a bunch of interviews with Steve Albini, a man who's artistic reasoning I have a lot of respect for. Unfortunately, his own work, whether as a musician or producer, has never done much for me, although I'm far less familiar with the former. My opinion of the record didn't change much. I found it bland with a kind of false power/in-your-face effects that felt a little poseur-ish to me. I couldn't really make much of a difference between the tracks, as they all felt like similar and shallow variations of the others. I did like Kim Deal's voice, though. It's the only thing that adds something truly distinct to the record.

Favorite track: River Euphrates

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^ I used to be a huge fan of Pixies and that album in particular (I think it's stronger than Doolittle) when I was a bit younger, but over time and as I got into other albums, my fondness for them has turned into complete ambivalence/disinterest.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Falling deeper and deeper into appreciating Tim Hecker, although his later stuff kind of sucks, IMO.

Ravedeath 1972 by Tim Hecker - 4.0 or 4.5 (Flawless/Brilliant)
Harmony in Ultraviolet by Tim Hecker - 3.5 (Great)
Haunt Me, Haunt Me, Do It Again - 3.5 (Great)
Virgins by Tim Hecker - 2.5 (Good)
Radio Amour by Tim Hecker - 2.0 (Positive)
An Imaginary Country by Tim Hecker - 1.0 (Negative)
23 by Blonde Redhead - 1.0 (Negative)
The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid by Stars of the Lid - 0.5 (Bad)
Love Streams by Tim Hecker - 0.5 (Bad)
Mirages by Tim Hecker - 0.5 (Bad)
Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons by Blonde Redhead - 0.5 (Bad)

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
John Mayall - Nobody told me

johnmayallnobodytoldme.png

The guy hasn't changed in 50 years, still a great blues singer.
A plethora of guest guitarists makes for an enjoyable listen, if you're a blues fan.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
John Mayall - Nobody told me

johnmayallnobodytoldme.png

The guy hasn't changed in 50 years, still a great blues singer.
A plethora of guest guitarists makes for an enjoyable listen, if you're a blues fan.
:thumbu:
I got my first album of his, Blues from Laurel Canyon, a couple months ago and Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton in a bargain bin just yesterday! I'll have to give the new one a listen.

Reactions: peate

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis (1960) - I loved it. There was something deeply scenic about the music, and I couldn't help but imagine vast landscapes and marching soldiers throughout the listening of the record and it made for a deeply entertaining experience. The record plays like a soundtrack to a story and there was something particularly theatrical about the record, and while this is an adjective that I'll usually mean negatively, it isn't the case here. The classical tinge to the jazz recordings converged extremely well to create a certain accessibility to the tracks despite their seeming complexity. While less harsh and boundary-stretching as Bitches Brew, Sketches of Spain is a considerable achievement. I haven't listened to a lot of pure jazz (like ambient music, I've always highly appreciated it as a spiritual ally/pinch of salt to more rock recordings) but it definitelty makes me want to dig deeper into the genre. Vivid records like Sketches of Spain makes it worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hippasus

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
^ I used to be a huge fan of Pixies and that album in particular (I think it's stronger than Doolittle) when I was a bit younger, but over time and as I got into other albums, my fondness for them has turned into complete ambivalence/disinterest.

I like Kim Deal though, although I've never given a shot to The Breeders. Have you?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I like Kim Deal though, although I've never given a shot to The Breeders. Have you?
Yeah, I have. I didn't think much of them, personally, and have a much higher opinion of Pixies than them. From what I remembered, they seemed to be a one hit wonder, where the hit was just whatever for me. I agree that Kim Deal has a nice voice though.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

Pod is a good album and probably all you really need. It’s only like 30 minutes long. For me it’s an album I only appreciated after a few listens. It goes by so quick. They’re unlikely to blow your mind or change your outlook on music but I love their mix of poppiness and spikiness.

Reactions: Amerika

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Suede - Bloodsports (2013) - 3.5/5
Kinda fades in the end but first 6 or 7 songs are fairly good with a few great singles on here. Also this was an impressive comeback album.

James - Laid (1993) - 2.5/5
The title track of this album is a fantastic piece of Britpop, the rest is meh.

Desperate Journalist (2019) - 3/5
Failed to grow despite a promising first few listens but it has 3 fairly strong songs on it and not really any bad ones. Desperate Journalist end the second half of the decade as probably the most consistent British band to release 3 or more albums since 2015.

Supergrass - Life On Other Planets (2003) - 3/5

Has those tight polished rhythms but is a bit of an incohesive mess and without the number of catchy songs that some of their other work had. Still, they were always good for at least 2-3 songs on every album, though this one needed a trimming and had some bad ideas on it.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
One album that's really been shooting up for me and that I reviewed here is In Dreams by Roy Orbison. I always find myself going back to it. It's so perfect.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Ramones - Leave Home - 10/10. After exploring the Ramones on a surface level, I've been digging into specific albums (really just the first 4 "classic" ones) and this is their best effort and is flawless.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not a classical guy at all and have no real knowledge of it-- Took another crack at it-- Started with the obvious/most often recommended Beethoven.. uhh.. albums (?)-- Going to show a lot of ignorance with this, but it's been rewarding so far.

1. Piano Sonata No. 29 (Hammerklavier) by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Uchida) - 4.0 (Flawless)
2. Piano Sonata No. 23 (Apassionata) by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Richter) - 3.5 or 4.0 (Great/Flawless)
3. Symphony No. 3 (Eroica) by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Furtwangler) - 3.5 (Great)
(had more of a natural/organic feel to it that hit me more instinctively than some of the others)
4. Piano Sonata No. 8 (Pathetique) by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Horowitz) - 3.0 (Very Good)
5. Symphony No. 9 by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Gardiner) - 3.0 (Very Good)
6. Symphony No. 7 by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Kleiber) - 3.0 (Very Good)
7. Symphony No. 5 by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Kleiber) - 3.0 (Very Good)
8. Piano Sonata No. 21 (Waldstein) by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Pollini) - 3.0 (Very Good)
---
9. Piano Concerto No. 5 (Emperor) by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Gilels) - 2.5 (Good)
10. Symphony No. 6 (Pastoral) by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Klemperer) - 2.5 (Good)
11. Piano Sonata No. 14 (Moonlight) by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Kovacevich) - 2.5 (Good)
12. Piano Concerto No. 4 by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Serkin) - 2.0 (Positive)
13. Große Fugue by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Takas) - 1.5 (Neutral)
(didn't really 'get' this one)
14. Fur Elise by Ludwig Van Beethoven (Brendel) - 1.5 (Neutral) (feels schmaltzy and less interesting/tasteful to me compared to the others)

Favorite Parts (pretty typical choices, I guess):
1. Piano Sonata No. 29 (Hammerklavier) Pt. I (Uchida)
2. Symphony No. 3 (Eroica) Pt. I (Furtwangler)
3. Piano Sonata No. 23 (Appassionata) Pt. II (Richter)
4. Symphony No. 9 Pt. II (Gardiner)
5. Symphony No. 7 Pt. II (Kleiber)
6. Piano Sonata No. 23 (Appassionata) Pt. I (Richter)
7. Symphony No. 3 (Eroica) Pt. III (Furtwangler)
8. Piano Sonata No. 29 (Hammerklavier) Pt. III (Uchida)
9. Piano Sonata No. 8 (Pathetique) Pt. II (Horowitz)
10. Symphony No. 6 (Pastoral) Pt. I. (Klemperer)
11. Piano Sonata No. 21 (Waldstein) Pt. III (Pollini)
12. Piano Sonata No. 14 (Moonlight) Pt. I (Kovacevich)
13. Piano Concerto No. 4 Pt. III (Serkin)
14. Symphony No. 9 Pt. III (Gardiner)
15. Symphony No. 5 Pt. I (Kleiber)
16. Piano Concerto No. 5 (Emperor) Pt. I (Gilels)
17. Piano Sonata No. 21 (Waldstein) Pt. I (Pollini)

This was the height of it for me:

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Also listened to the Devilman Crybaby OST by Kensuke Ushio and it's pretty cool. I'm not aware of anything from the synth-wave genre that I think all that highly of, but this works for me.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Attempted to do the same with Mozart/Bach/Chopin. Definitely had more blind-spots where I felt like I just wasn't going to get it (whereas with Beethoven it was more that the stuff I didn't like I just didn't like). Mozart's especially tough for me because most of his acclaimed stuff seems to be lengthy operas and I can't seem to stomach that format at all. Still got something out of it though.

1. Goldberg Variations by Johann Sebastian Bach ('55 Gould) - 4.0 or 4.5 (Flawless/Brilliant)
2. Nocturnes Op. 9 by Frederic Chopin (Moravec) - 4.0 (Flawless)
3. Nocturnes Op. 15 by Frederic Chopin (Moravec) - 4.0 (Flawless)

4. Symphony No. 41 (Jupiter) by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Walter) - 3.5 or 4.0 (Great/Flawless)
5-6. Brandenburg Concertos No. 2 & 3 by Johann Sebastian Bach (Pinnock) - 3.5 (Great)
7-10. Brandenburg Concertos No. 1, 4, 5 & 6 by Johann Sebastian Bach (Pinnock) - 3.0 (Very Good)
11. Nocturnes Op. 55 by Frederic Chopin (Moravec) - 3.0 (Very Good)

---
12. Symphony No. 40 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Bohm) - 2.5 (Good)
13. Ballade No.4 by Frederic Chopin (Moravec) - 2.5 (Good)
14. Nocturnes Op. 27 by Frederic Chopin (Moravec) - 2.5 (Good)

15. Piano Sonata No. 11 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Uchida) - 2.5 (Good)
16. Polonaise Op. 53 (Heroic) by Frederic Chopin (Argerich) - 2.0 (Positive)
17. Piano Concerto No. 24 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Walter) - 2.0 (Positive)
18. Nocturnes Op. 32 by Frederic Chopin (Moravec) - 2.0 (Positive)
19. Nocturnes Op. 48 by Frederic Chopin (Moravec) - 2.0 (Positive)
20. Piano Sonata No. 2 by Frederic Chopin (Moravec) - 2.0 (Positive)
21. Piano Sonata No. 15 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Uchida) - 2.0 (Positive)

Either couldn't get a handle on these, went over my head, had a sound that for whatever reason I seem to not be receptive to, felt lukewarm, or didn't care for:

Requiem by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Bohm)
St. Matthew Passion by Johann Sebastian Bach (Gardiner)
Cello Suites by Johann Sebastian Bach (Casals)
Symphony No. 36 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Walter)
Clarinet Concerto by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Pay)
24 Preludes by Frederic Chopin (Moravec)
Sinfonia Concertante by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Midori)
Mass in B Minor by Johann Sebastian Bach (Gardiner)
Piano Sonatas No. 18 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Uchida)
Polonaise Op. 62 by Frederic Chopin (Moravec)

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
1. Preludes: Book 1 by Claude Debussy (Michelangeli) - 4.0 (Flawless)
2. Piano Sonata No. 21 by Franz Schubert (Richter) - 3.0 (Very Good)
---
3. La Mer by Claude Debussy (Martinon) - 2.0 (Positive)
4. Symphony No. 8 by Franz Schubert (Karajan) - 2.0 (Positive)
5. Images by Claude Debussy (Gieseking) - 2.0 (Positive)
6. Suite Bergamasque by Claude Debussy (Gieseking) - 2.0 (Positive)
7. Preludes: Book 2 by Claude Debussy (Gieseking) - 1.5 (Neutral)
8. Trout Quintet by Franz Schubert (Serkin) - 1.5 (Neutral)
9. Etudes by Claude Debussy (Gieseking) - 1.5 (Neutral)

There's a really satisfying sense of character to some of the music in Preludes: Book 1 that I haven't really heard in any of the other classical stuff that I've listened to so far.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
1. Preludes: Book 1 by Claude Debussy (Michelangeli) - 3.5 or 4.0 (Great/Flawless)
---
3. Symphony No. 8 by Franz Schubert (Karajan) - 2.0 (Positive)
4. Images by Claude Debussy (Gieseking) - 2.0 (Positive)
5. Suite Bergamasque by Claude Debussy (Gieseking) - 2.0 (Positive)
6. Preludes: Book 2 by Claude Debussy (Gieseking) - 1.5 (Neutral)
7. Trout Quintet by Franz Schubert (Serkin) - 1.5 (Neutral)
8. Etudes by Claude Debussy (Gieseking) - 1.5 (Neutral)

There's a really satisfying sense of character to some of the music in Preludes: Book 1 that I haven't really heard in any of the other classical stuff that I've listened to so far. It would be rated higher if not for the fact that there was the occasional track/piece (??) that didn't quite get me as much.
Debussy is definitely one I listen to often. I first heard of him on an album by Isao Tomita, Snowflakes are dancing. Was great, but listening to the original on piano is my favorite. I even learned the intro somewhat cheaply.

Check out La Mer by the OSM and Charles Dutoit.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Village Green Preservation Society by The Kinks (1968) - Extremely groovy, although outside of a couple of colossal tracks towards the end of the second-half (Wicked Annabella and Monica) the first half is a lot stronger than the 2nd half, where the album starts leaning a little too much on the twee side and becomes overly theatrical, which I often find off-putting. Almost as if it's trying too hard to put on a show at the detriment of organic performance. The Ray Davies vocals are often fantastic, and are by moments accentuated by very simplistic but effective lyrics. The album is a little overwrought though, and I think a leaner cut may have made it more effective as a whole, for some songs feel utterly forgettable. With that said, the album has some great peaks and baroque composition which work well within the pop elements consistent throughout the album. Highly accessible as well, but not at a loss of genuine artistic sensibilities.

Favorite tracks: Do You Remember Walter, Johnny Thunder, Wicked Annabella, Monica.

Reactions: Jtown and mmvvpp

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
1. Preludes: Book 1 by Claude Debussy (Michelangeli) - 3.5 or 4.0 (Great/Flawless)
---
3. Symphony No. 8 by Franz Schubert (Karajan) - 2.0 (Positive)
4. Images by Claude Debussy (Gieseking) - 2.0 (Positive)
5. Suite Bergamasque by Claude Debussy (Gieseking) - 2.0 (Positive)
6. Preludes: Book 2 by Claude Debussy (Gieseking) - 1.5 (Neutral)
7. Trout Quintet by Franz Schubert (Serkin) - 1.5 (Neutral)
8. Etudes by Claude Debussy (Gieseking) - 1.5 (Neutral)

There's a really satisfying sense of character to some of the music in Preludes: Book 1 that I haven't really heard in any of the other classical stuff that I've listened to so far. It would be rated higher if not for the fact that there was the occasional track/piece (??) that didn't quite get me as much.

Ever tried Bela Bartok and John Cage?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Debussy is definitely one I listen to often. I first heard of him on an album by Isao Tomita, Snowflakes are dancing. Was great, but listening to the original on piano is my favorite. I even learned the intro somewhat cheaply.

Check out La Mer by the OSM and Charles Dutoit.
Thanks. I couldn't find the Dutoit version, but I tried another one and it's interesting/promising but hasn't quite clicked yet. Seems very atmospheric and textural compared to other classical music.
Ever tried Bela Bartok and John Cage?
I did, but way back when it definitely would have gone over my head. It might still, but I'll work my way to it again at some point in this process, thanks.

Any specific works, btw?

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Of the composers I've tried so far, I'm definitely the most underwhelmed by Tchaikovsky, and this time, I don't think it's just a matter of accessibility or having to understand/warm up to it. I found it surprisingly accessible and easy to listen to, it just doesn't quite do it for me, although I wouldn't say it's outright bad or anything. It's very catchy, memorable, and technically competent (the latter of which is pretty much going to be a given every time with this stuff), but everything just had an underlying sense of cheesy soundtrack-y grandiose melodrama to it that put a ceiling on its appeal for me. I liked what Symphony No. 6 was going for, though.

1. Symphony No. 6 (Pathetique) by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Mravinsky) - 2.5 or 3.0 (Good/Very Good)
2. Nutcracker Suite by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Karajan) - 2.5 (Good)
3. Piano Concerto No. 1 by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Argerich) - 2.0 (Positive)
4. Violin Concerto by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Stern) - 1.5 (Neutral)
5. Symphony No. 5 by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Mravinsky) - 1.5 (Neutral)
6. Swan Lake Suite by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Karajan) - 1.5 (Neutral)
7. 1812 Overture by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Dorati) - 1.5 (Neutral)
8. Romeo & Juliet by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Abbado) - 1.0 (Negative)

Also...

Syro by Aphex Twin - 4.0 (Flawless)
Surfing on Sine Waves by Aphex Twin (Polygon Window) - 2.0 (Positive)
Xylem Tube by Aphex Twin - 1.5 or 2.0 (Positive)
Joyrex 4 & 5 by Aphex Twin (Caustic Window) - 1.5 (Neutral)
Analogue Bubblebath by Aphex Twin (AFX) - 1.0 (Negative)
(just skimmed through these ones)

Syro, which seemed to have so-so critical reception, continues to grow on me (this is blasphemy, but I actually like it more than Selected Ambient Works 85-92 now), while I do not for the life of me understand why so many hardcore Aphex Twin fans consider these other side-project albums to be among his best work or anywhere close to better than his mainline stuff. A lot of it sounds technically accomplished but repetitive (not in the good way), uninspired, and lacking in soul/charm, to my ears, at least compared to the mainline studio albums.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Thanks. I couldn't find the Dutoit version, but I tried another one and it's interesting but hasn't clicked yet. Seems very atmospheric and textural compared to other classical music.
Debussy was definitely out there. They had good stuff in those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad