Status
Not open for further replies.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
The Clash (1977). 3/5

Kraftwerk (1970). 1.5/5

In The Court of the Crimson King (1969) by King Crimson. Prog' Rock. Classic album, but it doesn't blow me away. Strong 3.5/5

Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ (1973) by Bruce Springsteen. Ugh, not what I was expecting for someone who is supposedly one of the greats. Two of my biggest pet peeves in music are when it has an exaggerated seriousness to it, and when it is overly dramatic sounding. Unfortunately I hear both in this album. His talk-singing makes me cringe and his "normal" singing is over-the-top, like it is the last thing he'll ever sing. Then there is the rock n roll saxophone..lol. Hopefully his subsequent albums are much better, but I don't have high hopes. 1/5

That does it for round 1 of the 53 discographies i'm going through.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Puscifer - Money $hot

Yet another great album by Maynard. Whether the majestic Grand Canyon or mostly spoken word Simultaneous it is just a great piece of art.

4.5/5

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
5.0 (Masterpiece)
1. Songs of Love and Hate by Leonard Cohen
2. Ambient 3: Days of Radiance by Brian Eno

4.5 (Brilliant)
3. Atlantis by Sun Ra

4.0 (Perfect)
4. Station to Station by David Bowie
5. Feed Me Weird Things by Squarepusher
6. Amnesiac by Radiohead (now their clear #2 for me, way ahead of In Rainbows and OK Computer)

3.5 (Great)
7. Incunabula by Autechre
8. Debussy: Preludes Book II by Michelangeli

2.5 (Good)
9. Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath
10. Paul's Boutique by Beastie Boys
11. Paranoid by Black Sabbath

2.0 (Positive)
12. Master of Reality by Black Sabbath
13. Blow by Blow by Jeff Beck
14. Sunbather by Deafheaven
15. Wired by Jeff Beck

1.5 (Neutral)
16. Nothingface by Voivod
17. Aces of Spades by Motorhead

1.0 (Negative)
18. Iron Maiden by Iron Maiden

0.0 (Terrible)
19. Black Metal by Venom

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
1970 Amboy Dukes - Marriage/On the Rocks. 3/5

Stumbled on this back in the day, recently listened to it again.

Take The Beach Boys, rent a motel and invite Spirit, Pink Floyd (with Syd Barret) and...well Ted Nugent then run from room to room opening those shared doors along the way and you get the picture. Amboy Dukes at their Psychedelic best, only 2 years after it was fashionable. Too bad it took so long for them to get it right. By far their best album as far as writing and performance. I am not a huge Nuge fan but I actually like this album. His guitar sound is a little thin though. "Children of the a Woods" and "Marriage" are highlights while "inexhaustible quest for the cosmic cabbage" explores some contrived yet classic psychedelia.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

Take The Beach Boys, rent a motel and invite Spirit, Pink Floyd (with Syd Barret) and...well Ted Nugent then run from room to room opening those shared doors along the way and you get the picture. Amboy Dukes at their Psychedelic best, only 2 years after it was fashionable. Too bad it took so long for them to get it right. By far their best album as far as writing and performance. I am not a huge Nuge fan but I actually like this album. His guitar sound is a little thin though. "Children of the a Woods" and "Marriage" are highlights while "inexhaustible quest for the cosmic cabbage" explores some contrived yet classic psychedelia.

Sounds like you would enjoy the Nuggets box sets, especially the first one. Check them out if you haven't heard them:

http://www.amazon.com/Nuggets-Original-Artyfacts-Psychedelic-1965-1968/dp/B00000AFWZ

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Sounds like you would enjoy the Nuggets box sets, especially the first one. Check them out if you haven't heard them:

http://www.amazon.com/Nuggets-Original-Artyfacts-Psychedelic-1965-1968/dp/B00000AFWZ

Yes thanks. I got turned on to the Nuggets collection in the eighties. Will have to give it a listen again. By the way, I am a fan of Todd Rundgren too. I had a few albums and liked Utopia (RA was my favorite) also I followed Rick Derringer and they had a close professional relationship, producing and playing with each other at various stages. I had "Moogy" on vinyl, (Mark Klingman solo album as I am sure you know was a member of Utopia early on) Ralph Shuckett, Derringer, And Rundgren playing on various tunes. Great album. It's hard to find on Cd but I am always looking out for it.

3133572.jpg

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Yes thanks. I got turned on to the Nuggets collection in the eighties. Will have to give it a listen again. By the way, I am a fan of Todd Rundgren too. I had a few albums and liked Utopia (RA was my favorite) also I followed Rick Derringer and they had a close professional relationship, producing and playing with each other at various stages. I had "Moogy" on vinyl, (Mark Klingman solo album as I am sure you know was a member of Utopia early on) Ralph Shuckett, Derringer, And Rundgren playing on various tunes. Great album. It's hard to find on Cd but I am always looking out for it.

3133572.jpg

Tbh I don't know much Utopia so thanks for the info on the band members! Love solo Todd and Nazz, though.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
ROD STEWART - Gasoline Alley(1970) 8.5/10 My new favorite from a great three year run(Every Picture Tells A Story '71 and Never a Dull Moment '72) of pure folksy, funky, dirty rock and roll. Highlights include the title track, Jo's Lament and turn it up to eleven rockers My Way of Giving, Cut Across Shorty and You're My Girl(I Don't Want to Discuss It). Oh, and Ronnie Wood on Guitar.
You're My Girl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2B1AatyvKo
My Way of Giving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAu7wUUoNhQ
Cut Across Shorty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYwzUakW2i8

FUTUREBIRDS - Hotel Parties(2015) 7/10 Described as psychedelic country or indie rock, I really like the sound of this album. Reminds my of Phosphorescent's excellent(9/10) 2010 album Here's to Taking it Easy. I'm a sucker for some good reverb and pedal steel.
Hotel Parties:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He1xRFuMHNk
Rodeo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvRc5aL7jkY

PERNICE BROTHERS - Goodbye, Killer(2010) 5/10 Bargain bin find. One good song and nothing else stands out good or bad. This CD will mostly likely get lost in my collection for the next few years. But hey, here's some nice jangly pop rock.
Jacqueline Susann:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyEjLG91Dp4

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I very much liked Yo-Yo Ma's version of this.
I kind of think of Ma's interpretation of Bach's Cello Suites as "the superstar version." No question that Ma is a great cellist, but he doesn't have much of a feel for Baroque music to my ears. Give a listen to Anner Bylsma's set on Sony (1993).

Alvvays_2014.jpg

Over the last two years, I thought that Alvvay's debut album might eventually wear thin. It hasn't in the least. 9/10

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
The Definitive Lead Belly(2009) 8/10
ca5d3fb8-6016-4299-acb4-8947e98d19ab.jpg

Huddie "Lead Belly" Ledbetter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Belly

Classic songs made famous by other artists like Cotton Fields, Goodnight Irene, House of the Rising Sun, Midnight Special, Black Betty, Rock Island Line and Where Did You Sleep Last Night. Plus a bunch of great songs and stories I had never heard before.
Black Betty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYrK464nIeY
Pick a Bale of Cotton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY7rkam4FtU
Don't You Love Your Daddy No More:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBmdq4nbNfc

Check out "Legend of Lead Belly" on The Smithsonian Channel(airing tonight in the USA).
http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/legend-of-lead-belly/0/3416955

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
I kind of think of Ma's interpretation of Bach's Cello Suites as "the superstar version." No question that Ma is a great cellist, but he doesn't have much of a feel for Baroque music to my ears. Give a listen to Anner Bylsma's set on Sony (1993).

Alvvays_2014.jpg

Over the last two years, I thought that Alvvay's debut album might eventually wear thin. It hasn't in the least. 9/10

Such an incredible album.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Laughing Stock by Talk Talk - 4.5 (Brilliant)
Fear of a Black Planet by Public Enemy - 3.5 (Great)
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back by Public Enemy - 3.0 (Very Good)

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Kraftwerk (1970). 1.5/5

In The Court of the Crimson King (1969) by King Crimson. Prog' Rock. Classic album, but it doesn't blow me away. Strong 3.5/5
On Kraftwerk, I think their good stuff (if one is into early electronic music) was Autobahn through Computer World (a pretty long stretch of time). I haven't heard the album you rated, but I believe I heard they didn't hit their stride until later (in this documentary on them I saw).

Regarding that album by King Crimson: I've heard it hailed so many times as a classic of progressive music, but every time I give it a try I feel like I can't get into it for some reason.

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
On Kraftwerk, I think their good stuff (if one is into early electronic music) was Autobahn through Computer World (a pretty long stretch of time). I haven't the album you're talking about, but I believe I heard they didn't hit their stride until later (in this documentary on them I saw).

Regarding that album by King Crimson. I've heard it hailed so many times as a classic of progressive music, but every time I give it a try I feel like I can't get into it for some reason.

I think it's really good, outside of the aimless meandering of Moonchild. But their best album is definitely Red.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My favorite Kraftwerk related thing is "Tone Float". There's something about their electronic stuff that feels underwhelming to me. I mean, I guess the influence is undeniable, but to me it always felt like the Krautrock happening around the same time by the same musicians or friends of the same musicians were consistently far superior to them but doesn't seem to get quite as much credit.

Agree on the King Crimson thing. They're solid, but I can't bring myself to considering them that incredible. The music always sounded so simultaneously melodramatic, self serious, yet silly to me. In the Court of the Crimson King represents alot of the things that don't feel quite right about progressive rock as a genre to me. Red is alot better but still has alot of that about it that doesn't quite work for me.

Kensu

Nov 1, 2011
New York City
Eno - Here Comes the Warm Jets (1974)
art rock, experimental rock
2002022.jpg

Its been a while since I've listened to Another Green World (1975) and I really didn't care for that album, but something about this one ticked with me. Maybe because it's a bit more experimental and glam rocky? Regardless been listening to it non-stop.

5/5

Manuel Göttsching - E2-E4 (1981)
progressive electronic
4209122.jpg

4.5/5

Klaus Mitffoch - Klaus Mitffoch (1985)
post-punk
3686173.jpg

3/5

pile of crap:
Daughters - Daughters (2010) 0.5-1/5
Girls - Broken Dreams Club (2010) 1/5

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Eno - Here Comes the Warm Jets (1974)
Its been a while since I've listened to Another Green World (1975) and I really didn't care for that album, but something about this one ticked with me. Maybe because it's a bit more experimental and glam rocky? Regardless been listening to it non-stop.
I prefer it as well. I absolutely love the first three tracks of Another Green World (where there's more of a brooding, rhythmic twinge), but I'm less interested in the feel of it after that (felt a little too precious or something).

Not sure if you're alluding to the same thing, but I'm starting to notice that I'm strangely developing the opposite natural instincts that other people seem to. I think the typical person would have an easier time getting into Another Green World than Here Come the Warm Jets because easy-listening, meticulously careful and deliberately perfected craft is easy to grasp/enjoy/appreciate while extreme weirdness and jarring sounds are off-putting and alienating..... but for me my immediate instincts seem to work the opposite way-- things that are rounded and crafted to perfection and have this serious, dramatic, easy-on-the-ears tone to it, I find harder to find something about it to grab onto (and sometimes unfairly write off as bland), whereas extreme maddening/alienating weirdness tends to be easier to grab onto and "grasp the gimmick", and that ends up strangely being more accessible to me (and sometimes I run the risk of prematurely mistaking that for greatness).

An example of this is that I had a far easier time getting into *****es Brew than I did Kind of Blue, for example-- it sounds more immediately accessible, infectious, inviting and penetrable to me for some reason, which seems to go against consensus. Similarly, Pere Ubu actually sounds more accessible and easy to get into than Neil Young or Talk Talk to my ears.

It's weird

Last edited:

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
To me Another Green World resonates on a level akin to Discovery by Daft Punk or MBDTF by Kanye West, but that's just me.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Agree on the King Crimson thing. They're solid, but I can't bring myself to considering them that incredible. The music always sounded so simultaneously melodramatic, self serious, yet silly to me. In the Court of the Crimson King represents alot of the things that don't feel quite right about progressive rock as a genre to me. Red is alot better but still has alot of that about it that doesn't quite work for me.

Prog rock in a nutshell ;)

(from someone who loves King Crimson but can't stand most of the rest of the genre)

Apparently Ted was such a square that he didn't even realize songs like "Journey to the Center of Your Mind" were about drugs. Oh Ted.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Prog rock in a nutshell ;)

(from someone who loves King Crimson but can't stand most of the rest of the genre)
Yeah. And I would kind of put Metal in the same category, personally. They both tend to feel bloated and melodramatic/overly pleased itself while lacking substance/tastefulness that warrants it, IMO.

OT, but what's always been a pet peeve for me is that everyone who likes metal tends to jump to the conclusion that people don't like it because it's loud, noisy, and barbarically aggressive, but I've always felt like.... "No, it has nothing to do with that-- I love those attributes-- It's the corniness, garishness, and melodrama that puts me off about it."

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Here Come the Warm Jets by Brian Eno - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
Loved it before but decided to listen to it again and it shot-up ten-fold. Mind-blowing, creatively liberating/exhilerating, and perfect in just about every way.

Brian Eno Albums
1. Here Come the Warm Jets - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
2. Ambient 3: Days of Radiance - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
3. Taking Tiger Mountain - 4.5 (Brilliant)
4. Ambient 4: On Land - 4.5 (Brilliant)
5. Another Green World - 4.0 (Perfect)
6. Fourth World Volume 1 w/ Jon Hassel - 4.0 (Perfect)
7. Ambient 1: Music For Airports - 4.0 (Perfect)
8. Cluster and Eno w/ Cluster - 3.5 (Great)
9. Discreet Music - 3.5 (Great)
10. Before and After Science - 3.5 (Great)
11. Music For Films - 3.5 (Great)
12. Thursday Afternoon - 3.0 (Very Good)
13. Ambient 2: Plateaux of Mirror - 3.0 (Very Good)
14. No *****footing - 3.0 (Very Good)
15. The Pearl - 2.5 (Good)
16. My Life in the Bush of Ghosts - 2.5 (Good)
17. Apollo - 2.0 (Positive)
18-24. In no order, Tracks and Traces, The Equatorial Stars, Nerve Net, Shutov Assembly, Neroli, Evening Star, Wrong Way Up - 1.5 or less (Neutral or worse)

Masterpieces
1. The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel by Miles Davis
2. Bootleg 4: Live 1966 by Bob Dylan
3. White Light White Heat (Mono) by The Velvet Underground
4. Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan
5. ******es Brew by Miles Davis
6. Revolver (Mono) by The Beatles
7. Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart
8. Complete Village Vanguard Recordings by John Coltrane
9. And Nico (Mono) by The Velvet Underground
10. A Love Supreme by John Coltrane
11. Live at the It Club by Thelonious Monk
12. Complete Village Vanguard Recordings by Bill Evans Trio
13. Goldberg Variations (1981) by Glenn Gould
14. Unit Structures by Cecil Taylor
15. Plastic Ono Band by John Lennon
16. In A Silent Way by Miles Davis
17. Faust by Faust
18. Free Jazz by Ornette Coleman
19. Three Ragas by Ravi Shankar
20. Debussy: Preludes Book I by Arturo Bendetti Michelangeli
21. The Velvet Underground by The Velvet Underground
22. Tago Mago by Can
23. Fun House by The Stooges
24. Lick My Decals Off Baby by Captain Beefheart
25. The Black Saint and Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus
26. Here Come the Warm Jets by Brian Eno
27. The Ascension by Glenn Branca
28. Closer by Joy Division
29. Confusion/Gentleman by Fela Kuti
30. The Clash UK by The Clash
31. Freak Out! by The Mothers of Invention
32. Songs of Love and Hate by Leonard Cohen
33. Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division
34. Marquee Moon by Television
35. Ambient 3: Days of Radiance by Brian ENO
36. Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan
37. Spiritual Unity by Albert Ayler
38. Sgt. Pepper's (Mono) by The Beatles
39. Rubber Soul (Mono) by The Beatles
40. Neu!75 by Neu!
41. Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
42. Entertainment! by Gang of Four
43. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis
44. Faust IV by Faust
45. Live at Birdland by John Coltrane

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Yeah. And I would kind of put Metal in the same category, personally. They both tend to feel bloated and melodramatic/overly pleased itself while lacking substance/tastefulness that warrants it, IMO.

OT, but what's always been a pet peeve for me is that everyone who likes metal tends to jump to the conclusion that people don't like it because it's loud, noisy, and barbarically aggressive, but I've always felt like.... "No, it has nothing to do with that-- I love those attributes-- It's the corniness, garishness, and melodrama that puts me off about it."

Man, for somebody who doesn't like metal you sure do like to bring it up a lot...

Anyway - here are some thoughts on what I've been listening to lately; some old favourites and some things that were new to me.

Classical

Anton Bruckner - 9th Symphony; Conductor: Carlo Maria Giulini; Orchestra: Wiener Philharmoniker

This has been melting my face off ever since I first heard it a few months ago. To me, Bruckner's music always seems imbued with a profound understanding of the mysticism surrounding belief and religion. Giulini's conducting really accentuates that feeling. Solemn, ceremonial and utterly devastating - it has weltschmerz!

10/10

Anton Bruckner - 9th Symphony; Conductor: Herbert von Karajan; Orchestra: Berliner Philharmoniker

I think hearing the Giulini probably ruined this for me a little bit. Normally I quite like von Karajan as a conductor but something is a little off here. Just doesn't quite capture the essence of the piece - could be because it doesn't sound as clear as the Giulini version maybe? Still good, but a distant second right now.

7.5/10

Metal

Molested - Blod-Draum (1995/Norway/Death Metal)

This album never gets it's due from people into this sort of music and I'm not sure why? Guitars weave an unnatural set of melodies, each song accentuated by a particular motif. Sort of like a demented version of folk music, which is made apparent by the album's title track. A ghastly and dreamlike atmosphere is everpresent. Loses half a point for some production qualities that I take issue with.

9.5/10

Adramelech - Psychostasia (1996/Finland/Death Metal)

Contemporaries of the legendary Demilich, but not quite as good. Definitely more streamlined and overtly melodic but they've got that unusual sort of riff phrasing which seemed unique to Finnish bands at that particular time - I think it's in the way certain tremolo picked riffs are accented. A nice balance between the familiar and the unusual. Heroes Of The Godly Blaze and As The Gods Succumbed are particularly strong tracks.

8/10

Other Stuff

Sun City Girls - Torch of the Mystics (1990/USA/???)

First of all this band has an absurdly large and intimidating discography so I'm wading through some of it with the help of a friend who raves about the group.

It's bizarre music that's for sure, I guess you'd call it experimental rock with elements of arabic folk music, psychedelia and free improvisation. Album doesn't seem terribly cohesive, and some individual tracks seem but maybe that's the point? I'm pretty much a philistine when it comes to this sort of music. The strong tracks (Esoterica of Abyssinia, Space Prophet Dogon, etc.) are interesting enough that I'll revisit this to try to get my head around it.

4.5/10 with the caveat that this could change substantially on future listens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->