Music: Last Album You Listened to and Rate It II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
David Bowie (1967). Dull and monotonous. Sorry Mr. Bowie. 1/5

Freak Out! (1966) by The Mothers of Invention. Hard to believe this album came out in the 60's. It's so unconventional for its time, but I guess that's kinda the point. For now i'll give it a 3 or 3.5, but I think I need more time with Zappa's style to totally sort out my feelings for this album. (Yes, I get the concept)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I can't think of a single thing "Loaded" does better than "The Velvet Undergound", personally. Very hit or miss for me
David Bowie (1967). Dull and monotonous. Sorry Mr. Bowie. 1/5

Freak Out! (1966) by The Mothers of Invention. Hard to believe this album came out in the 60's. It's so unconventional for its time, but I guess that's kinda the point. For now i'll give it a 3 or 3.5, but I think I need more time with Zappa's style to totally sort out my feelings for this album. (Yes, I get the concept)
The second half/last two sides might be my favorite album-length stretches out there.

Trouble Every Day -> Help I'm a Rock -> Return of the Son of Monster Magnet

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Darkthrone_-_A_Blaze_in_the_Northern_Sky.jpg

9/10

Pantera > Darkthrone? Blasphemy!

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
I can't think of a single thing "Loaded" does better than "The Velvet Undergound", personally. Very hit or miss for meThe second half/last two sides might be my favorite album-length stretches out there.

Trouble Every Day -> Help I'm a Rock -> Return of the Son of Monster Magnet

Seeing how you're having trouble thinking;) I'll give you a few things "Loaded" does better.

1. Rock & Roll
2. Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
3. Head Held High
4. Who Loves the Sun
5. Sweet Jane

But seriously, I've had "Nico" and "Loaded" for a couple decades and "Velvet Underground" for a couple weeks so it might take some time for it to grow on me.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
The Smiths (1984). Overrated. 2.5/5

The Composer of Desafinado, Plays (1963) by Antonio Carlos Jobim. Bossa Nova. The songs all seem to sound basically the same, but I don't know the genre well. 2/5

Vincebus Eruptum (1968) by Blue Cheer. Early Heavy Metal/Psychedelic Rock. Very loud and in-your-face. Only 6 songs, but you might feel tired by the end of it. Features one of the best cover songs I've heard in "Summertime Blues". Light 4/5

Surfin' Safari (1962) by The Beach Boys 2/5

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
61ElipafBlL._SY300_.jpg

Panic! At The Disco : Death of a Bachelor.

Pretty solid album, very fun and very catchy. With PATD only being one member now their/his sound has changed over the past few years and I really like it. Out of 11 tracks i'd say 2 are skippable but I think they could grow on me. I really appreciate the drums on the album, at most points very minimalistic and in the pocket only to then break out with some crazy fills. Some raw sound to them as well. Horns are used pretty creatively in some of the songs to, especially in the track L.A Devotee. My favourite track is probably a toss up between The Good, The Bad and The Dirty, Victorious and L.A Devotee. Its nothing too special and won't necessarily stand out in 2016 as a top album (could crack my top 10 or top 5 if 2016 is lacking for me) still worth a listen.

7/10

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Seeing how you're having trouble thinking;) I'll give you a few things "Loaded" does better.

1. Rock & Roll
2. Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
3. Head Held High
4. Who Loves the Sun
5. Sweet Jane

But seriously, I've had "Nico" and "Loaded" for a couple decades and "Velvet Underground" for a couple weeks so it might take some time for it to grow on me.
I just meant that alot of those peak songs, to my ears, have similar-ish equivalents that are just as successful on "The Velvet Underground". And there are stinkers/underwhelming tracks on Loaded (to my ears) that don't appear on the latter.

Rock and Roll and Sweet Jane aren't too different from What Goes On, Oh Sweet Nuthin' isn't too far off from Pale Blue Eyes/Candy Says, Who Loves the Sun and Head Held High isn't too far off from I'm Set Free, That's The Story of My Life, and Beginning to See The Light...... And I'd actually take the latter in each case.

Surprised you didn't mention New Age. I like Cool It Down alot too.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
8/10:
Anderson .Paak - Malibu (fav. track - "Without You")
Dr. Yen Lo - Days With Dr. Yen Lo (fav. track - "Day 0")

6/10:
GZA - Pro Tools (fav. track - "Paper Plate")

3/10:
Future - Purple Reign (fav. track - "Inside the Mattress")

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Speak & Spell (1981) by Depeche Mode. German Synthpop. :dunno: I like some of the melodies, but the music still doesn't click. 2/5

The Dubliners (1964 original 14track version). Irish Folk. Simple and charming storytelling. I love it when the ensemble joins Luke Kelly to sing the choruses. Something about it really gets me. The banjo and tin whistle are beautifully played too. Strong 3.5/5

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'm about 3/4ths of the way through Ruby Sparks on Netflix and the guy playing the writer is such a boring punchable faced guy. Have this on the Netflix queue, nothing exciting but wanna get through it:

Minority Report, The Verdict, The Hustler, Kingsmen (this one I'm actually excited to watch), Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Fifth Estate, Super Troopers, Miller's Crossing, O Brother Where Art Though, Raising Arizona, This Isn't Funny, Seven Psycopaths, Senna

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Speak & Spell (1981) by Depeche Mode. German Synthpop. :dunno: I like some of the melodies, but the music still doesn't click. 2/5

The Dubliners (1964 original 14track version). Irish Folk. Simple and charming storytelling. I love it when the ensemble joins Luke Kelly to sing the choruses. Something about it really gets me. The banjo and tin whistle are beautifully played too. Strong 3.5/5

That Depeche Mode album is pretty weak. They got better though I can't say I ever loved them. Seems like you're doing a few things chronologically. I like to do the same but for most artists it means wading through some mediocre work.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Paid in Full (1987) by Eric B and Rakim. Hip Hop. I can see why this was called "The Golden Era" of Hip hop. Light 4/5

Faust (1971). Krautrock/Experimental Rock. Enter the strange theatre of sound. :huh: /5 ....actually i'll give it a light 2.5

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
That Depeche Mode album is pretty weak. They got better though I can't say I ever loved them. Seems like you're doing a few things chronologically. I like to do the same but for most artists it means wading through some mediocre work.

Yeah i'm going chronologically or reverse with 53 bands from a variety of genres. But yeah, it definitely takes a lot of time and some patience to get through it all. It sucks that it's going to be so long before I get to What's Going On by Marvin Gaye. And apparently Pulp came out with a great album, but I've only heard their first two and they are absolutely awful. :banghead:

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Faust is one of my favorite albums of all time. Blows my mind, especially the last two tracks. Definitely not for everyone, though. I actually had a harder time with it than Beefheart's weirdest stuff.

Faust IV is much easier to get into and more physically impressive-- also pretty incredible.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Why Black Man Dey Suffer (1971) by Fela Kuti. Afrobeat. Only two songs: One at 15min and the other at 13, but they kept me engaged the whole way through. Strong 3/5

Young Team (1997) by Mogwai. Post-Rock. I can see why it was so well received, but it is just too dramatic sounding for my taste. Light 2/5

This is Your Bloody Valentine (1985) by My Bloody Valentine. Post-Punk. I enjoyed this more than I expected. "The Last Supper" is a great song. 3/5

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
71MG18Z3PCL._SY355_.jpg

Bach's Cello Suites/Philip Higham 9.5/10

Bach's solo cello suites aren't usually the province of young men, but Philip Higham is an exception to that general rule. These suites are played with real insight. The sixth suite, unlike the others played on a modern 5-string cello, is so characterful and fresh that it is startling.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
The Modern Dance (1978) by Pere Ubu. Avante-garde-garage-art punk something or other. 3/5

The Wailing Wailers (1965). Ska. Light 2.5/5

Red Roses For Me (1984) by The Pogues. Celtic punk/Irish Folk. Strong 4/5

It (1983) by Pulp. Indie Pop. Is this **** a joke? 0.5/5

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Just Cool (1982) by Yellowman & Fathead. Dancehall. Light 2.5/5

The Specials (1979). 2 Tone Ska. Strong 3/5

The Stooges (1969). Garage Rock. 2.5/5

A Sun Came (2000) by Sufjan Stevens. Alternative Rock/Folk. Light 3.5/5

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
71MG18Z3PCL._SY355_.jpg

Bach's Cello Suites/Philip Higham 9.5/10

Bach's solo cello suites aren't usually the province of young men, but Philip Higham is an exception to that general rule. These suites are played with real insight. The sixth suite, unlike the others played on a modern 5-string cello, is so characterful and fresh that it is startling.
I very much liked Yo-Yo Ma's version of this.

Last edited:

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
WUSSY - Left for Dead(2007) - 8/10 I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of this band. First nine songs are fantastic, last three are just decent. Great mix of loud rockers like Rigor Mortis and What's-His-Name and slower songs like Mayflies and Jonah.
Rigor Mortis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjDXceXFicM
Jonah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yGcJduz8Z0

WILLARD GRANT CONSPIRACY - Mojave(1999) - 6.5/10 My first album from this alt-country/americana group. They must not be very well know, as I can't find a YT of one of the best songs(Love Has No Meaning).
Right On Time is a good example of what most of the album sounds like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mCXRcnB-8c
The last song and the highlight of the album sounds more like the Velvet Underground. The Visitor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV59z8o6SQI

THE VOLEBEATS - Solitude(1999) - 6/10 Again, first crack with these dudes. They remind me of the Sadies, part surf reverb and country jangle. Makes me want to pop it in the car stereo and drive across the desert southwest. What a coincidence, they even have a Desert Song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X5pF7PEhio
Beautiful Night is my favorite of the songs with vocals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTdenHaFhFg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad