8. Edmonton Oilers
  9. Montreal Canadiens
  10. St. Louis Blues

Who are your top 5?
swap Boston for Carolina and that is my 5

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Why are the defending champions at #3 and why are the Avs at the top?

Tampa Bay
Colorado
Boston
Carolina
Toronto

Philadelphia
Vegas
St Louis
Dallas
NYI

I believe Vegas goes by some betting odds and teams fluctuate based on the amount of bets placed???? Someone here probably can elaborate on it...

Reactions: Another AZ

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
I believe Vegas goes by some betting odds and teams fluctuate based on the amount of bets placed???? Someone here probably can elaborate on it...

You nailed it. Vegas changes their odds and payouts based on betting patterns. If one team is getting too much action, Vegas will be at risk of losing money. So Vegas changes the odds to push some action on to other teams. The way no matter who wins, Vegas profits.

That's a simplified explanation, but it's all about Vegas diversifying the bets people place. Has nothing to do with the likelihood of those teams winning.

So if Montreal is favored by 3 to win tonight, it's not because Vegas thinks they're going to win by that number. It's because that's a safe number to start with to get action on both sides. Ideally half the people will bet for Montreal and half will bet against Montreal. Since Vegas doesn't pay out a 100% return on that bet, Vegas wins no matter what happens in the game.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
I have Tampa Bay, Las Vegas, and Toronto as the top three favourites.

I really like Vegas this year. Absolutely unbelievably well coached team.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
These aren’t actual rankings based on who a person/group of people think will win the Cup, it’s just an attempt to get people to bet money on certain teams.

Reactions: Another AZ

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The Canadiens lost two games in a row to OTT, fired their coach and then lost two games in a row to WPG and they're in the top ten... lol.

If you exclude games against the Canucks, they're below .500 on the season.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Gambling odds are designed to balance the bets. They don't necessarily reflect who the bookies think will win.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We’ve been at the top since the list came out. Looks a little funny because that’s not where we are in the standings, but our underlying numbers are really good. People are betting on our PDO not being garbage moving forward/in the playoffs.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Montreal and Edmonton on that list is hilarious.
Any list set up by odds is always going to overrate big name teams with large fanbases. Not everyone who bets is a professional gambler, there are a lot of people who just throw money after their hometown team to get more into the game or feel like they have a stake or whatever, and others who just bet on big names assuming they're good because they're gambling habitually.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
Montreal and Edmonton on that list is hilarious.
What's wrong with Edmonton? They've been the 2nd best team in the North this year, were 2nd in the Pacific last year, and have two of the best players in hockey. Now, I don't like Koskinen, but at least Mike Smith has played well. Oh, and Darnell Nurse is having himself a season too.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
As of today I'd go

Tier one
  • Tampa
Tier Two
  • Boston, Colorado, Vegas
Tier Three
  • Carolina, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Toronto, Washington
Trades will likely shift some of these teams around.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
What's wrong with Edmonton? They've been the 2nd best team in the North this year, were 2nd in the Pacific last year, and have two of the best players in hockey. Now, I don't like Koskinen, but at least Mike Smith has played well. Oh, and Darnell Nurse is having himself a season too.
I mean they didn't even make the playoffs last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad