Las Vegas/Nevada Regional Sports Network

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well FSN does stuff like horse racing among other things when live local sports aren't being played. You can do UNLV. Maybe high school football and basketball games. I know Bishop Gorman would love that action as they occasionally end up on ESPN

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Well FSN does stuff like horse racing among other things when live local sports aren't being played. You can do UNLV. Maybe high school football and basketball games. I know Bishop Gorman would love that action as they occasionally end up on ESPN

Yeah, Gorman needs more exposure. :sarcasm:

Getting a little local high school football could be fun though.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It is a pretty tough draw. Maybe we can share a network with FS San Diego.

I'm hoping for Root Sports Utah. They're rolling with the Jazz and Big 12, MWC, and Big West sports. I'd much rather work with Utah than California, I just think there's a lot more room for people to pick Vegas as their team. I doubt people in SoCal with their favorite hockey teams are in the market for a switch. Utah might be a little more open.

Plus, Fenway mentioned on the BoH that Root sends Jazz basketball into the PacNW, it would be great if we could get some Vegas hockey coverage in that region until they get into the league somehow.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
That's fair. Definitely better. Utah's default hockey support goes to Colorado or Arizona I'd think.

I'm sure it does, I think Arizona has the claim on Utah now. If we drag the Grizzlies up to the AHL as our farm team and I think we can make a little splash there. Especially since there's already a pretty decent connection from past iterations of Vegas/SLC hockey.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I'm hoping for Root Sports Utah. They're rolling with the Jazz and Big 12, MWC, and Big West sports. I'd much rather work with Utah than California, I just think there's a lot more room for people to pick Vegas as their team. I doubt people in SoCal with their favorite hockey teams are in the market for a switch. Utah might be a little more open.

Plus, Fenway mentioned on the BoH that Root sends Jazz basketball into the PacNW, it would be great if we could get some Vegas hockey coverage in that region until they get into the league somehow.

I don't think they will even be considered. Can't show Jazz games per contract rules so it's not really worth it to enter the market just to show one new team.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't think they will even be considered. Can't show Jazz games per contract rules so it's not really worth it to enter the market just to show one new team.

Can't show Jazz games in Vegas? I'm not super knowledgeable on the media thing, where's there an issue?

I'm assuming Vegas is claimed by some team or a group of other teams that doesn't include the Jazz, is that correct?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Can't show Jazz games in Vegas? I'm not super knowledgeable on the media thing, where's there an issue?

I'm assuming Vegas is claimed by some team or a group of other teams that doesn't include the Jazz, is that correct?

Vegas is Lakers and to a lesser extent Clipper territory and I don't think the Lakers want to relinquish the Vegas market.

Even if you get on with the Jazz you'd be left with tons of schedule conflicts with both teams' seasons going on at the same time. I think in order to really grow a fanbase here Vegas needs to get on it's own RSN or at least one without a another pro winter sport competing with it for air time.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

MLB is the only sport that allows so many teams to be shown in Vegas. The others except NFL have distinct home teams in the market. It's why even though I can watch Giants and A's, I can't watch the Sharks here. The Jazz don't get the right to be shown because the Lakers and Clippers have exclusive rights. You can't watch the Suns either and they are closer than the Jazz. If you want any of these other teams games you have to buy the TV package which is big bucks to the leagues.

As much as there is a lot of wishful thinking around this, remember there are networks already in market. Fox West and Prime Ticket aren't going away because they have been around for decades and have lots of content to show. They may be forced to black out the Kings and Ducks in a year, but they still will try to hang on. Without the Lakers and Dodgers which they had for a long time until recently they may consider going to one network if their NHL team is blacked out, but getting the LV team might be enough to keep both around. But you won't see another outsider come in. Maybe TWCSN gets them, but they are already in market. Those are the choices, none will involve bringing in Root or someone from another state

segelrj

Jun 22, 2016
Ohio via Las Vegas
Foley said at the McPhee press conference that the NHL has given the team all of Idaho, Nevada, and Utah, as well as northern Arizona and parts of eastern California (mentioned Fresno County, Kern County, and San Bernardino County) as their market.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Foley just said in the McPhee press conference that the league was very generous with Vegas' secondary market.

All of Nevada, all of Utah, all of Idaho, all of Montana, Northwest Arizona, parts of San Bernardino County, Kern County, other places in the Central Valley.

Did anyone else catch that? Did I miss any areas?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Just noticed we hit submit at the same time. I've got Montana, segal doesn't.

Anyone else get the list?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Foley just said in the McPhee press conference that the league was very generous with Vegas' secondary market.

All of Nevada, all of Utah, all of Idaho, all of Montana, Northwest Arizona, parts of San Bernardino County, Kern County, other places in the Central Valley.

Did anyone else catch that? Did I miss any areas?

Wow nice.

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
Montana eh? I thought they'd be more Calgary or Avs territory.

Utah used to be part of the Arizona market, but that's no longer the case, as Coyotes games aren't blacked out up here anymore. Avs games are, though. Right now, they have all of Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and parts of northern New Mexico and northeast Nevada as well. The Coyotes have claim to Arizona and New Mexico.

Living in Utah, most of the NHL support here tends to be for the popular, hip teams: Red Wings, Blackhawks, some Kings/Ducks/Sharks, and a few Leafs and Canadiens fans. Utah also has significant cultural (historical LDS) ties to southern Alberta, so there's also a sizable contingent of Flames fans in the area. With the nearest NHL team (Avs) being ~450 miles away, most hockey fans in the area just pick a team that they think is cool. That said, I don't see many of these folks switching to Vegas; to us here, it's just another option amongst a pool of many.

I haven't met any native (or almost native) Utahns that are diehard Avalanche or Coyotes fans. The other Arizona teams (Cardinals, Diamondbacks, and obviously the Suns) aren't well-supported up here.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Montana eh? I thought they'd be more Calgary or Avs territory.

Utah used to be part of the Arizona market, but that's no longer the case, as Coyotes games aren't blacked out up here anymore. Avs games are, though. Right now, they have all of Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and parts of northern New Mexico and northeast Nevada as well. The Coyotes have claim to Arizona and New Mexico.

Living in Utah, most of the NHL support here tends to be for the popular, hip teams: Red Wings, Blackhawks, some Kings/Ducks/Sharks, and a few Leafs and Canadiens fans. Utah also has significant cultural (historical LDS) ties to southern Alberta, so there's also a sizable contingent of Flames fans in the area. With the nearest NHL team (Avs) being ~450 miles away, most hockey fans in the area just pick a team that they think is cool. That said, I don't see many of these folks switching to Vegas; to us here, it's just another option amongst a pool of many.

I haven't met any native (or almost native) Utahns that are diehard Avalanche or Coyotes fans. The other Arizona teams (Cardinals, Diamondbacks, and obviously the Suns) aren't well-supported up here.

Hey even if it's just small pockets of support, the Vegas team could use all the help it can get. And people from around the country come to Vegas all the time. Having a team to support just adds another reason.

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
Hey even if it's just small pockets of support, the Vegas team could use all the help it can get. And people from around the country come to Vegas all the time. Having a team to support just adds another reason.

That's certainly true! I just don't really see Utah being a real "stronghold" of LV fans.

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
Hey if we can get like a few hundred to a thousand out there, I'm peaches

Now that I think about it, the St. George and Cedar City areas might go for a Vegas team. Vegas is two hours from St. George, compared to four from STG to Salt Lake, and I know you can get the Review-Journal from stores down there. I don't know how well that'll translate to interest in an NHL team or self-identification with a sports team in another state, but like you said, you should be able to snag at least a few hundred out of the 100K in the Utah Dixie, and perhaps more further north.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->