Las Vegas/Nevada Regional Sports Network

segelrj

Jun 22, 2016
Ohio via Las Vegas
One thing that I know might not be on the top of people's minds right now, but is really intriguing to me is what will Foley and Co. do about a regional sports network to cover the team?

Every major league franchise has a regional television affiliate (i.e Fox Sports, Altitude, Comcast, etc.), so I'm wondering when the team may announce the development of a new sports channel to cover the team. Something like Fox Sports Nevada or Cox Sports could cover not only the team's games and magazine shows, but also cover the team's AHL affiliate, UNLV, UNR, CSN, WNC, and NIAA athletic events and magazine shows, as well.

Has anyone heard of any rumblings about something like this, yet?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
One thing that I know might not be on the top of people's minds right now, but is really intriguing to me is what will Foley and Co. do about a regional sports network to cover the team?

Every major league franchise has a regional television affiliate (i.e Fox Sports, Altitude, Comcast, etc.), so I'm wondering when the team may announce the development of a new sports channel to cover the team. Something like Fox Sports Nevada or Cox Sports could cover not only the team's games and magazine shows, but also cover the team's AHL affiliate, UNLV, UNR, CSN, WNC, and NIAA athletic events and magazine shows, as well.

Has anyone heard of any rumblings about something like this, yet?

I was talking to a few of the media guys last night, and the consensus seemed to be that nobody really has a clue what they're going to do.

I really wish they'd hook up with Utah, throw the AHL team in West Valley City and try to work a two state regional through Root Sports. I think it would be a lot easier to pick up casual TV fans out of Utah than trying to fight it out in California by hooking up with a Cali Fox Sports or CSN network.

I don't think Nevada has enough population or sports content to support our own RSN. There's only so much someone can say about UNLV football.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
In the early years here in Arizona, the Coyotes often had games on one of the local unaffiliated (meaning no NBC, CBS, etc) networks called 3TV. That could be a viable option for Las Vegas.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
In the early years here in Arizona, the Coyotes often had games on one of the local unaffiliated (meaning no NBC, CBS, etc) networks called 3TV. That could be a viable option for Las Vegas.

That's the first thing that popped in my head too. I'm betting the local CW affiliate would love to have an exclusive broadcast license for the hockey team. I'd say that perhaps the Cox channel would work but IMO you need to have the inaugural season broadcast in its entirety OTA if possible to generate local support.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
The Kings being blacked out would make the switch to being a fan of the Las Vegas team first a lot quicker. I don't know if that would ever happen as long as the Kings were televised locally.

Will it even be possible for the Kings and Ducks to be aired locally starting in 17-18?

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
That's the first thing that popped in my head too. I'm betting the local CW affiliate would love to have an exclusive broadcast license for the hockey team. I'd say that perhaps the Cox channel would work but IMO you need to have the inaugural season broadcast in its entirety OTA if possible to generate local support.

That's what I thought of too. Those early days in PHX were pre-HD, so the LV market already has a leg up with the broadcast channel coverage. It would actually be watchable on broadcast TV.

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
As a Kings fan I am hoping your team shares Prime ticket/FSW
With the Lakers gone to TWC there is space to show a third hockey team. Unless all three are at the same time, then one can go to local channels.
It would be great to have LA hockey fans watching as well

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

I remember for a year or two they also used AZTV (Cox 7 and Channel 27 OTA).

Didn't have cable for a while so you could get them over the air. Then they were the first in AZ to go digital OTA and I lost a half season. :cry:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
What are the radio options like in Vegas, since that's how most out-of-state folks will be listening in? I must admit I've never even tried to listen to a Nevada station while visiting.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What are the radio options like in Vegas, since that's how most out-of-state folks will be listening in? I must admit I've never even tried to listen to a Nevada station while visiting.

Radio is pretty sound. We've got a few conglomerates that control most of the radio, but the sports side of radio here is really top notch. This is a sports town, and a lot of people out some money down on the games since they can. Those people want real talk and I think we're better for it, sports talk wise.

Radio won't be the issue as far as I can tell.

Jun 6, 2016
Radio is pretty sound. We've got a few conglomerates that control most of the radio, but the sports side of radio here is really top notch. This is a sports town, and a lot of people out some money down on the games since they can. Those people want real talk and I think we're better for it, sports talk wise.

Radio won't be the issue as far as I can tell.

Yea, ESPN 1100 has a nice lineup. Pregame Betting Hour, to Mitch and Pritch which is more of a serious sports topics insight show, then Cofield and Company which is more of a social talk show and all those guys are MMA experts or actual local beat writers so you get inside takes on there.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I thought word was a holdup in getting a team was what they have to pay the LA teams. Implies to me this coming year will be the last on the airwaves in Las Vegas for the Kings and Ducks. The networks probably will stay, but those games will be blacked out as they will just show generic content in its place. This happens already in San Diego with Angels games and in Sacramento where Warriors games aren't shown to protect the local team's market.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I thought word was a holdup in getting a team was what they have to pay the LA teams. Implies to me this coming year will be the last on the airwaves in Las Vegas for the Kings and Ducks. The networks probably will stay, but those games will be blacked out as they will just show generic content in its place. This happens already in San Diego with Angels games and in Sacramento where Warriors games aren't shown to protect the local team's market.

LA and Anaheim both apparently have claims to Vegas. Perhaps the high hockey ratings here in Vegas will work against us in this situation, but overall it's best to get them out of the market.

Like I've said a few times, I'd much rather put the AHL in Utah and try to plant a flag there/battle it out with Arizona than try to fight for airtime and coverage on an RSN shared with the State of California.

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV
This is one of the mysteries that I feel like no one wants to actually attack. I've got an open question out to the team about what they plan on doing but it's been almost always met with "we'll figure that out later."

To me it's a pretty massive deal as that's the primary means of getting their product to the fans. Should be top of mind IMO.

That being said, here's my guess.

TV - They'll begin the process of "building" what they call the Black Knight Sports Network, but it won't be ready in time for October 2017-18. In the interim they will share with Fox Sports Arizona/Prime Ticket/West/San Diego and the games will fit in where they can.

Radio - I personally believe they'll buy their own air time rather than license the game out to one of the media conglomerates in town. It makes much more sense in this town to own your own product and own everything that comes in from the broadcast while paying yourself to be on air as opposed to getting paid to have someone air your product.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
This is one of the mysteries that I feel like no one wants to actually attack. I've got an open question out to the team about what they plan on doing but it's been almost always met with "we'll figure that out later."

To me it's a pretty massive deal as that's the primary means of getting their product to the fans. Should be top of mind IMO.

That being said, here's my guess.

TV - They'll begin the process of "building" what they call the Black Knight Sports Network, but it won't be ready in time for October 2017-18. In the interim they will share with Fox Sports Arizona/Prime Ticket/West/San Diego and the games will fit in where they can.

Radio - I personally believe they'll buy their own air time rather than license the game out to one of the media conglomerates in town. It makes much more sense in this town to own your own product and own everything that comes in from the broadcast while paying yourself to be on air as opposed to getting paid to have someone air your product.

Good thoughts. I'm just hoping they learn from the debacle with the Dodgers and the Padres up until a few years ago and don't tie themselves in with Cox. This team needs wide distribution day one, not the easy money I am sure Cox would offer just to keep them off the satellites.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
As a Kings fan I am hoping your team shares Prime ticket/FSW
With the Lakers gone to TWC there is space to show a third hockey team. Unless all three are at the same time, then one can go to local channels.
It would be great to have LA hockey fans watching as well

We would be spoiled with three hockey teams on Fox Sports West/Prime Ticket.

Doubt it happens though.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Think they should start their own network.

UNLV would have to be on board though. There would be lots of random sports to fill in the air time (college volleyball, softball, tennis, swimming).

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Think they should start their own network.

UNLV would have to be on board though. There would be lots of random sports to fill in the air time (college volleyball, softball, tennis, swimming).

I'm sure that UNLV would be down for non-revenue sports exposure, but when you're getting the content it takes some money to get it to air. I don't know if I foresee the network hiring camera crews and commentators to volleyball games. If UNLV covers that cost, they're going to want a piece of the money as well.

I just don't know if UNLV sports is enough to help keep a network afloat, especially with a garbage football program and a somewhat weak basketball program that would also have their content on other networks.

UNLV just isn't a draw. If there's other pro sports and there's 5-6 hours a week of UNLV content, I think that may work. I just don't know that Rebel athletics is a centerpiece of a successful network.

The Longhorn Network has ESPN backing and the content of one of the largest names in college sports and doesn't do real well at all. UNLV is a tiny fraction of what the University of Texas is when it comes to fan support.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad