Las Vegas may upgrade soccer team to MLS; UPD Foley spearheading Raiders stadium MLS home

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Football is 8 games and MLS is like the 10th best league in the world. So everyone?
their stadium seats under 10k. Would moving to the mls mean that they move into the raiders stadium? That’s too large for them in all likelihood unless they can draw like Atlanta and Seattle who also play in nfl stadiums.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I am all for Lights in MLS just so it breaks the monotony of names like INSERT CITY HERE FC or INSERT NAME HERE City FC.

What, "Indy Eleven" doesn't sound off the wall enough for you?

They just got a new stadium deal approved, so if you're looking at another team looking to make a jump into the ever bloating behemoth that is MLS, there's another one to consider.

As much as I hate the idea of promotion and relegation in North America, it might be best to do a MLS 1 and a MLS 2 if they continue at this rate of manifest destiny.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
What, "Indy Eleven" doesn't sound off the wall enough for you?

They just got a new stadium deal approved, so if you're looking at another team looking to make a jump into the ever bloating behemoth that is MLS, there's another one to consider.

As much as I hate the idea of promotion and relegation in North America, it might be best to do a MLS 1 and a MLS 2 if they continue at this rate of manifest destiny.
I am all for Indy Eleven and Sacramento Republic.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Golden Knights deserve a cut of every other major league sports team at this rate. It's kind of ridiculous how now suddenly every sport is happening there.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seems like they're all going to Vegas now. Wonder what this will mean in the long-term for the Knights. Sure they're doing good now but with the NFL and possibly MLS coming what does that mean for the NHL?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
MLS plays in summer mostly so unless Vegas makes it deep into the playoffs it shouldn't have an effect on NHL, unless it's just a not enough money to go around issue. I'm not familiar with the economics there.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
It was once hard to believe but this league is starting to get too big. There isn't enough room to fit in all the interested applicants. Pro/Rel I just don't see working in NA sports and I also have trouble seeing how the MLS can have more teams than the NFL.

Reactions: oknazevad

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Golden Knights deserve a cut of every other major league sports team at this rate. It's kind of ridiculous how now suddenly every sport is happening there.
Not really. With the growth of the Vegas area, pro sports franchises were inevitable. The NHL just got there first.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
MLS plays in summer mostly so unless Vegas makes it deep into the playoffs it shouldn't have an effect on NHL, unless it's just a not enough money to go around issue. I'm not familiar with the economics there.
MLS is way cheaper to attend than NHL games so they are no threat. None of the Vegas teams will make a dent except maybe the Raiders in 2020 but if they are grossly incompetent people will forget about them.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

It was once hard to believe but this league is starting to get too big. There isn't enough room to fit in all the interested applicants. Pro/Rel I just don't see working in NA sports and I also have trouble seeing how the MLS can have more teams than the NFL.

The costs of running a MLS team is significantly lower than the NFL and I don’t expect it to go up significantly in the near future. This allows a lot more markets to sustain a MLS that otherwise couldn’t for the other big 4 leagues. MLS has done a good job of maintaining a steady growth by preventing an arms race that doomed the old NASL.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Las Vegas making renewed MLS push | SportBusiness

A little history, Las Vegas looked at MLS five years ago, before there was a NHL team (much less that and a NFL team to come).

Interesting that the field would still be used during stadium construction.

Looking to see if this 180 day window happens.

Not surprising considering the MLS is known to put teams in unserved or underserved markets. Six of the teams are in cities with only 1 of the 4 big leagues. They came to Columbus before the NHL did and they are expanding into the untapped Austin, Texas. Something that I have always felt is one if the biggest reasons for the leagues success.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Las Vegas making renewed MLS push | SportBusiness

A little history, Las Vegas looked at MLS five years ago, before there was a NHL team (much less that and a NFL team to come).

Interesting that the field would still be used during stadium construction.

Looking to see if this 180 day window happens.

Thunder "stolen" regarding the last Vegas MLS effort.

Thing is, there's really no stadium on two sides of the field, which opens up the possibility of simply incorporating the new structure into the old. HOWEVER... you want a soccer stadium to have much more pitch than what you see with most baseball stadiums. A proper soccer stadium and a proper hockey arena should have similar inclines IMO.

Now... whether prospective ownership has enough juice to beat current leaders Sacramento and St. Louis into the clubhouse for the next two... eh, we'll see.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Playing soccer in the summer in Las Vegas is going to be brutal.

BTW, are we sure MLS isn’t a Ponzi scheme at this point? I understand the league needed to grow and expand into new markets, however at this point it seems new teams are being awarded in order to pay off the earlier investors.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
At what point does MLS split into two leagues with promotion/relegation?
If that is to happen, 28th team should be the last expansion squad before the split.

After that, split the league in to 20 and 8. And MLS can keep adding teams to 2nd division until both leagues have 20 teams each.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
BTW, are we sure MLS isn’t a Ponzi scheme at this point? I understand the league needed to grow and expand into new markets, however at this point it seems new teams are being awarded in order to pay off the earlier investors.
it absolutely has a pyramid scheme feel to it now...
especially so given their ownership structure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad