Confirmed with Link: Larsson signs two year extension (1.475mil per year)

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
This had nothing to do with that. They could have signed him to anywhere between 1 and 8 just like any contract for their players. The choosing of the 1 or 2 years is about what the arbiter awards if it gets to a hearing. Which this didn't.

If it had the number the arbiter came up with would have given Buffalo the option to make it a 1 year, 2 year, or if it was high enough walk away for nothing,

This was just a standard contract signing since he never got to the hearing.

No one is saying they could not sign him to an 8 year contract.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Your question made no sense. Did Galchenyuk and Fast have their term dictated to them because arbitration only gets then 1 or 2 if they'd gotten to a hearing? They signed for 3. The contract they signed today had zero to do with any terms from a system they didn't even get to.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Wow. Nice. Larsson knows the best chance to get a raise is after Moulson and Pominville come off the books

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Wow. Nice. Larsson knows the best chance to get a raise is after Moulson and Pominville come off the books

If he picks up where he left off last season before the injury, he'll easily earn that raise and lock up the 3rd line center spot IMO. He's a better faceoff man and penalty killer than Girgensons - but it'd be nice to see Housley shift Girgensons to Larsson's wing. The two had a bit of chemistry in Rochester back in 2014 and similar styles - good on the forecheck, some offensive skill - should blend well with Pominville in a support role.

I could see that combination being even better than the Foligno-Larsson-Gionta trio was.....

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
We still have one more contract out of him before UFA, right? That makes 6 years under contract I believe. Amazed they got this done.

Zemgus has little to no leverage now.

Why does Larsson matter to Girgs in terms of Leverage?

According to Capfriendly he will still be a RFA.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

He has a July Birthday and he didnt play enough in his first yr of his ELC to accrue a season. Its 7 yrs or 27. He has 1 more year after this is done.

Awesome. I had the 5 RFAs (Lehner,Larsson,Beaulieu,Girgensons,ERod) earmarked for $11 mil total....hoping we can get them signed for that.

Lehner=4
Beaulieu=2
Larsson=1.5
Girgs=1.5
ERod=1--the issue with ERod will be what the AHL pay is and if it also is 2 yrs.
total=10....

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Seems about perfect.

Larsson gets a nice little raise over what he was making, he's locked in for 2 years at a cheap cap hit for Buffalo, and he is still an RFA at the end of the deal.

This should give Botterill time to evaluate + figure out what he has in Larsson, and it gives Larsson time to establish himself as a part of the future here (or not) and if he does Buffalo still has a chance at the end of this deal to get him locked up longer term before he is a UFA.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Why does Larsson matter to Girgs in terms of Leverage?
Potentially similar contracts and roles. As long as Larsson went unsigned (even with arbitration on the horizon), there is risk, which is leverage for someone in a similar role.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I believe he will outplay this contract and set the Sabres up nicely to deal him at the end of this contract. Ultimately, I would love to keep him for a long time but I see him firmly establishing himself as an excellent 4th line, good 3rd line center.......and dealing him to a team starved of center depth for a good return.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Why? With 3 years he is UFA. Don't understand the logic there.

For whatever reason (late birthday maybe?) I thought he was UFA in 4 years time, not 3.

In this case I have no complaints at all. Perfect deal.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
With this deal I think the biggest plus given the term is that it gives you predictability regarding next off-season, which will be likely really challenging cap-wise.

And after the two years if Larsson's demands grow too high his role considered and given that he is going to get UFA years, we already know whether he is replacable with guys like Malone/Pu/Asplund (and probably he is).

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Larsson is in a contract year. I'd like to see the Sabres lock the angry Swede up for 4-5 years. I think it's going to take $3.2 - 3.5 million per year.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I think if we give him term like Buffaloed suggested we can get a cap hit lower than 3. If it's a 3 year deal than 3-3.5 is right.

davej0122

Jan 24, 2008
San Diego
Guys, that is brutal. You don't sign 4th liners, fringe 3rd liners to a contract like that. Thats bad cap mgmt. THATS what you want to use the freed up Berglund cap space on? Thats basically allocating that money to him, thats horrible. You can find Larssons everywhere.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm expecting 2.5 for both he and Girgensons, at most. I wouldn't expect either to push their contract demands too high just when things are going their way and there are decent options in Rochester for less...or hell, anywhere around the league. Not to dismiss their on-ice value, good 4th line checkers just aren't 3 mil players unless they're on a stacked team and getting pushed down a level.

For ex - Brian Boyle is on a 2.5 mil deal, his highest ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad