Larsson, Rundblad or Erixon

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Boxscore, May 23, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Boxscore

Boxscore #OldNHL

Who do you think will be the best offensive producer in the NHL over the long haul between Adam Larsson, David Rundblad and Tim Erixon?

2. 1) Rundblad
    2) Larsson
    3) Erixon

3. Boxscore

Boxscore #OldNHL

Just seeking your opinion - why do you think Larsson has better offensive potential than Rundblad? Didn't Rundblad have one of the best offensive years by the defenseman in the SEL ever? I know that by all indications offense is Rundblad's bread and butter. Larsson is more of a 2-way threat no? What particular offensive skills do you think Larsson has over Rundblad that gives him the potential edge to produce more offense at the NHL level?

4. ReginKarlssonLehner

ReginKarlssonLehner Let's Win It All

Rundblad
    Larsson

Erixon

5. Boxscore

Boxscore #OldNHL

How do you think Rundblad and Larsson will compare to the little offensive dynamo, Erik Karlsson?

6. TheBradyBunch

TheBradyBunch Registered User

Both could be better. Larsson certainly will be better defensively and might be better offensively, but I doubt that. Rundblad could be a little better offensively and defensively but he's not a sure thing in either aspect.

7. Pyke*

Pyke* Guest

I don't think either holds a candle to EK. What EK has done - so young - despite his small size, is incredible. Rundblad is talented, but he's not Erik Karlsson. I think 40-50 points will be his NHL potential, whereas Karlsson could be a league leading offensive d-man for the next 15 years (similar to Mike Green, but better defensively perhaps, faster acceleration/better agility).

8. brtriad

brtriad Registered User

Student
    Ekman-Larsson has the best offensive potential out of the young Swedes, even better than Karlsson.

9. Manny*

Manny* Guest

I have trouble disagreeing with that. However, he's not included in this discussion.

Rundblad
    Larsson
    Erixon

Karlsson ahead of all three in terms of offensive ability.

10. sg58

sg58 Registered User

In terms of offensive ability, Larsson is not even playing in the same league as Rundblad, and is a step behind Erixon as well. Hard to project points though, as Larsson could very well earn a better position to produce 5-on-5 with more ice-time, but if you put these guys in the same situation offensively, it'd be Rundblad then nothing then Erixon then Larsson.

11. YNWA14

YNWA14 You'll Never Walk Alone

Rundblad

Larsson
    Erixon

If I had to rank the 5 that have been mentioned in this topic?

Rundblad
    OEL
    Karlsson

Larsson
    Erixon

Though the bottom two should end up with better defensive pedigrees. I think Rundblad will be the best of the bunch.

12. SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser Registered User

Home Page:
    Hard to tell right now, but if things work out or Rundblad, he could be a better offensive producer than Karlsson, but Karlsson will be the better defensive player in time IMO.

13. YNWA14

YNWA14 You'll Never Walk Alone

Most people think the opposite, but I think Rundblad will be better offensively and defensively. Too much skill, and he has size to go with it.

14. Nihiliste

Nihiliste Registered User

Rundblad is the only one of these guys who I think has the potential to be better offensively than Karlsson, though its by no means a sure thing. From what little I saw of Rundblad he's not close to being good enough to being NHL ready defensively, unlike Karlsson who I'm certain will improve in this regard due to his hockey IQ; I haven't seen enough of him yet to be confident he'll be able to close the gap. Can someone who watches more SEL comment on Rundblad's defensive tools/hockey IQ?

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  15. SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser Registered User

Home Page:
    Not sure Rundblad has the off-the-charts hockey IQ Karlsson has - which is basically the only reason I think he'll be effective in the D zone in a couple of years. I'll have to defer to someone who watched them both in the SEL though.

16. DropIt

DropIt Registered User

Obviously you havent watched much of Tim Erixon. Rundblad is not head and shoulders above Tim Erixon by any means.

Larsson
    Rundblad
    Erixon

17. danishh

danishh Registered User

erixon seems to be ahead of both by a fair margin defensively at this point.

rundblad is obviously leading the pack offensively.

larsson has the better top-end potential on both ends of the rink, but we'll have to wait and see what he does next year. It will be especially interesting if he stays behind at SAIK with rundblad and erixon likely gone.

18. Rob Nieds work ethic

Rob Nieds work ethic Swarm it up Devils!

Larsson
    Erixon
    Rundblad

Rundblad is so overhyped, I can see him becoming M-A Bergeron without the shot.

19. Pyke*

Pyke* Guest

No player his age has put up anywhere near the totals he has in the SEL. It's not really over-hype when you back it up.

20. swiftwin

swiftwin #melnykout

Karlsson is a step above everybody else offensively, he has a certain vision and offensive IQ that I've never seen in a defenseman, ever. Its really hard to explain, but this kid is very very special. I really think he will be the top offensive d-man in the NHL for years to come, with Norris nominations. But doubts about his defensive side (whether true or not) may stop him from actually winning one.

Rundblad, it saddens me to say it, will be more of a poor man's Subban. Good skills, speed, but no toolbox. I don't think his game will translate very well to the NA ice. However, I do think he will be better than MA Bergeron.

As for the original question, offensively:

Rundblad = Larsson
    Erixon

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  21. Boxscore

Boxscore #OldNHL

Wow, I'm shocked with some of the responses here in regards to the Karlsson comps. Personally, I think Erik Karlsson is/will be better "offensively" than any of the young Swedes including OEL (who I think has tremendous skill). Karlsson is the definition of "offensive defenseman" with his speed, offensive instincts, confidence and hard shot. Skill-wise, Karlsson is one of the best raw offensive defensemen I've seen in the NHL since Phil Housley and Mike Green. Then again, this is all my opinion.

22. sg58

sg58 Registered User

Gotta agree there, Gustafsson. Karlsson's got all the tools offensively and in time he'll put it together to be one of the most productive defensemen in the league.

To people saying that the top-end potential on both ends on the ice favours Larsson, I really hope that means the combined qualities, because Larsson is nowhere near as gifted offensively as Rundblad, Karlsson and Oliver Ekman.

23. Pentothal

Pentothal Listen with one ear

Nobody works in Euro-pe
    I love watching Rundblad play, but I tend to agree with this view. He's got a ton of skill, but with less time and space in the NHL I predict he will struggle quite a bit. I hope he can adapt his game, but he has his work cut out for him.

People around here seems a bit down on Larsson lately, but players with his physical gifts that shows a lot of "hockey IQ" tend to do well in my experience.

Agree that Karlsson might be the best of all of them though. He is incredibly gifted and a joy to watch.

24. Hale The Villain

Hale The Villain Registered User

Rundblad's raw skill is something to behold. I think his game will not translate as well as some think but still with his skill level he will have no problem putting up points.

That's why I want him to start the year off in the AHL. EK is the rare exception. Not many players come over from a foreign country and unexpectedly make their NHL club, especially 5'11, 165lbs defensemen :laugh:

25. Freudian

Freudian Clearly deranged

I see no reason why Erixon and Larsson shouldn't have the same kind of production in the NHL. I see both as 40-point kind of players.

Rundblad should have slightly higher, if he managed to get used to the smaller ice. He probably will have a longer way to realize his offensive potential in the NHL than the other two.

If Rundblad is tossed into the NHL right now, I think he will be a super sized version of Karlsson. Good production but I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with -40 or worse at the end of the season.