Larsson/Rundblad/Erixon

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Why are people comparing McIlrath to Larsson? They are completely different players. Plus, Larsson was picked at #4. Even though McIlrath was probably taken too early, he was picked 10th and in a complete different draft

Erixon is a much better comparison. But even then, no one ever believed Erixon had the same upside as Larsson, otherwise he would have been taken much higher than 23rd overall

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Why are people comparing McIlrath to Larsson? They are completely different players. Plus, Larsson was picked at #4. Even though McIlrath was probably taken too early, he was picked 10th and in a complete different draft

Erixon is a much better comparison. But even then, no one ever believed Erixon had the same upside as Larsson, otherwise he would have been taken much higher than 23rd overall

I said I didn't think Larsson excelled, especially considering he played against 3 NHL caliber forwards, and since I'm a Rangers fan of course that means I thought McIlrath was better.

Kershaw

Erixon has been very impressive, I think he'll be a top 4 D-man this year and maybe a top pairing D-man in his prime.

Others could turn out better, but I will be happy if Erixon progresses.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
His skating is not even adequate it is down right bad.

As long as the play is in front of him he is ok, but he has zero agility and watching him move from side to side he looks like a robot. He better learn superior positioning because his skating is so poor it could be a detriment to his career.

Are you basing all of this off of one game?

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I don't know about you, but I think it was sad to see Rundblad play. He is such a gifted player and yet he looks so nervous and missplaced in the games I have seen with him so far. He could easily end up the best of theese three but the ride there will be a bumpy one. As he comes of now, he looks like a big body that makes misstake in his own end and makes good outlet passes but have yet to show the bloody brilliance he posses.

When he learns to translate his game to the smaller icesurface, he will be a treat to see. But until that day give Larsson och Erixon any day.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Good old Ranger comic relief. He had the stick slashed out of his hand on the rangers goal while taking a hit. He was easily the best defensmen on either team in that game. I suppose he is no Mcilrath though, you could sense Sam and Joe forcing his name into every play out of jealousy of Larsson.

Would you prefer Devil comic relief? I could post a "gif" or an "internet meme" for ya. :laugh:

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Welcome to Miami.

tracy-jordan_480_poster.jpg

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Karlsson didn't struggle in the preseason.

Rundblad's game is built for bigger ice. He's flashed some skill that will translate though, he's gonna be fine, he just knows he has to pick his spots very carefully in this league.

iirc karlsson didnt do much in most of his games at the start of hte year including preseason. He was kept on the team due to being a puck moving defensemen but he took some time to adjust for sure. Rundblad seems to be similarly not playing bad but not making a case to be on the big roster..for now

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Erixon has been very impressive, I think he'll be a top 4 D-man this year and maybe a top pairing D-man in his prime.

Others could turn out better, but I will be happy if Erixon progresses.

Maybe its just me, but I thought he was awful against the Devils. The play I remember was Tedenby making him look like an ass and making him take that hook

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Are you basing all of this off of one game?

are you trying to say he was only a bad skater in this one particular game? the guy is a horrible skater, always has been. Its not just this one game. As a fan of a team in the east, I cant wait till he makes the Rangers lineup so guys like Kessel can make him look like a joke game after game

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
are you trying to say he was only a bad skater in this one particular game? the guy is a horrible skater, always has been. Its not just this one game. As a fan of a team in the east, I cant wait till he makes the Rangers lineup so guys like Kessel can make him look like a joke game after game

If your top line is on the ice, the defense pairing on the ice for the Rangers will be Staal-Girardi, not McIlrath-whoever...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Out of curiosity has Erixon made the team? Rundblad got his first point last game and has been playing surprisingly well defensively. It's looking like both Larsson and Rundblad will be sticking with their respective teams.

Last edited:

Faxius

Dec 28, 2006
Out of curiosity has Erixon made the team? Rundblad got his first point last game and has been playing surprisingly well defensively. It's looking like both Larsson and Rundblad will be sticking with their respective teams.

Not entirely sure yet, but he will probably stick. Rangers are out with 2 of the top 4 D due to injury, but Erixon played the 3d most (18.10) and was a +2 in a 4-2 loss to the Islanders.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah Erixon has been looking better and better with each game he plays. Looks like he's getting comfortable, while during the preseason he looked kind of unsure and hesitant against NHL teams.

His passing is quite good and he's been doing a much better job along the boards and effectively using his body. Staying in position well, etc.

With the Rangers injuries on D, he's moved up to playing 2nd pairing minutes with Del Zotto and they've been pretty good.

I'd guess he has a good shot of staying on the team, even if he ends up getting third pairing minutes when Staal returns

Kershaw

The Rangers have a luxury of sending down Erixon to develop as they have a fairly deep defense core. He's played well recently, but expect him to be sent down when Sauer and (if) Staal heal from injuries.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The Rangers have a luxury of sending down Erixon to develop as they have a fairly deep defense core. He's played well recently, but expect him to be sent down when Sauer and (if) Staal heal from injuries.

Maybe, I think it just depends on how he plays. If he keeps playing well they'll keep him up, they've shown a willingness to do that with players.

If he's playing better than Emminger/etc, they'll keep him on the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad