Larsson/Rundblad/Erixon

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yesterday was one of the weakest games I've seen from Rundblad yet he still made a couple of brilliant passes and was very smart in moving the puck except for rookie bobbling mistakes.

If anything it shows his pure raw talent.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I have to say I'm surprised by Rundblads adjustment problems to NA style hockey. Looks like he will have to play in the AHL.

Last season in Sweden Rundblad and Erixon was the brighest stars among this three (at least offensively), now it's suddenly the opposite roles? Erixon looks like he is adjusting just fine though?

Hmmm but what is Rundblads problems? Problems with the physical speedy game keeping his head up?

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
You can't judge them by watching one or two meaningless preseason games. I see a lot of people doing that already.

Also, richardsequalscup should be put on everyones ignore list as I did months ago.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Rundblad looks like Karlsson when he first came and Karlsson looked like a beast after 15 or so games in the AHL

also :facepalm: to those making their lists off of preseason games

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
It's not exactly surprising that a player like Rundblad is having a trouble. An offensive defenceman who's used to winding his way through the other team with all that extra space needs time to adjust. Been saying it all along that he'd need some time in the AHL to adjust, and this preseason has only cemented that. That still doesn't change Rundblad's projection in the slightest.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
This is looking to be the NA version of Rundblad's WJC two years ago. I foresee a bunch of people are gonna be cooking their hats in a not so distant future.

He was horrible during those WJCs.. If he can overcome that I'm sure he can overcome these average games so far.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You can't judge them by watching one or two meaningless preseason games. I see a lot of people doing that already.

Also, richardsequalscup should be put on everyones ignore list as I did months ago.

I would tend to agree. But there are definitely things you can tell in those meaningless games so I wouldn’t dismiss them totally.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Larsson's performance tonight against a stronger Rangers lineup will reveal more about his NHL readiness than the last game did, I think. Might temper the expectations for a lot of Devils fans, or perhaps raise them even higher if he excels again.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I kind of expected this from Rundblad considering his previous pathetic performances on small ice with the junior national team. Never really believed in him (but yeah I know it's way early).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
This is looking to be the NA version of Rundblad's WJC two years ago. I foresee a bunch of people are gonna be cooking their hats in a not so distant future.

did you see karlsson when he first came here?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Larsson's performance tonight against a stronger Rangers lineup will reveal more about his NHL readiness than the last game did, I think. Might temper the expectations for a lot of Devils fans, or perhaps raise them even higher if he excels again.

You mean like when he got abused on the Rangers goal?

Larsson had some amazing plays, and I was surprised by how good he was on the power play, but he did not excel.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Larsson had some amazing plays, and I was surprised by how good he was on the power play, but he did not excel.
Good old Ranger comic relief. He had the stick slashed out of his hand on the rangers goal while taking a hit. He was easily the best defensmen on either team in that game. I suppose he is no Mcilrath though, you could sense Sam and Joe forcing his name into every play out of jealousy of Larsson.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Id put them order of;
Larsson,
Rundblad,
Erixon,
too for sure.

Like, why not? Larsson is overall very solid. Rundblad has great offensive abilities. That Erixon just has not been able to match in either direction.

With that said, when Lidström was 25 y/o Sherry Ross, for example, wrote that while he was looking good he still did not have more then top 3 potential because his offense wasn't good enough. In the NHL you can get darn far by just doing the same thing shift after shift, game after game, season after season. Erixon has a good shot, he has good size, he is extremely poised with the puck and smart all around, he moves pretty well (while he certainly is a little flat-fotted still, but that will be adjusted as he can add some muscle and become more explosive).

I definitely wouldn't rule out that Erixon can become a very very very good D in this league. But, if you are darn good offensively you will be darn good offensively in the NHL. Rundblad is that. Nothing is a sure thing in this league, but you don't get much closer than that. And if that comes true, Rundblad will be a highly regarded D in this league. Its much harder to predict if a D like Erixon will come in like a Enström and just make it look easy out there. He could, but I just think the % is higher for Rundblad to become a better D. The poise is there for him to do something with it.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

He was unlucky that the one mistake he made ended up in the back of the net. Sykora and Tallinder also blew coverage on that play, Weise was Sykora's man and shouldn't have been wide open in front of the net like that without the other defenceman on him.

Moreover, as Jason points out, on that play, Larsson was double teamed, hit from behind, and had his stick slashed out of his hands. Sykora gave him his stick, which was opposite handed. He should have dumped the puck up the boards instead of turning back into the double team, but that's one mistake and he'll learn.

On the positive side, Larsson had 4 strong shots on net, great puck movement from the point on the PP, created the Sykora goal with a great fake shot and pass to the open man in the slot, pinched successfully numerous times, and had some very strong defensive plays stand out, like when he rode Dubinsky to the end boards using his reach, preventing him from burning him and getting a partial break.

Good old Ranger comic relief. He had the stick slashed out of his hand on the rangers goal while taking a hit. He was easily the best defensmen on either team in that game. I suppose he is no Mcilrath though, you could sense Sam and Joe forcing his name into every play out of jealousy of Larsson.

I was waiting for Sam and Joe to compliment McIlrath for the way he laced up his skates, they seemed to have exhausted every other thing they could praise him for.

McIlrath was good positionally, and he was very good with his physicality, but his skating is not his strength, and he isn't good offensively at all.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
He was unlucky that the one mistake he made ended up in the back of the net. Sykora and Tallinder also blew coverage on that play, Weise was Sykora's man and shouldn't have been wide open in front of the net like that without the other defenceman on him.

Moreover, as Jason points out, on that play, Larsson was double teamed, hit from behind, and had his stick slashed out of his hands. Sykora gave him his stick, which was opposite handed. He should have dumped the puck up the boards instead of turning back into the double team, but that's one mistake and he'll learn.

On the positive side, Larsson had 4 strong shots on net, great puck movement from the point on the PP, created the Sykora goal with a great fake shot and pass to the open man in the slot, pinched successfully numerous times, and had some very strong defensive plays stand out, like when he rode Dubinsky to the end boards using his reach, preventing him from burning him and getting a partial break.

I was waiting for Sam and Joe to compliment McIlrath for the way he laced up his skates, they seemed to have exhausted every other thing they could praise him for.

McIlrath was good positionally, and he was very good with his physicality, but his skating is not his strength, and he isn't good offensively at all.

McIlrath's skating looks awkward, but that's one of the few places where he doesn't really need improvement. You can't be as big as he is and look graceful.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

Haha. Yea, I'd be worried if ONE guy worked him over. He just made a rookie mistake. Playing too calm taking the puck away from 1 guy, and got hit. As mentioned, seeing that he had 4 shots, an assist, logged over 20 minutes, and bodied off a strong NHL player in Dubinsky with ease...yea he did excel.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
McIlrath's skating looks awkward, but that's one of the few places where he doesn't really need improvement. You can't be as big as he is and look graceful.

His skating is not even adequate it is down right bad.

As long as the play is in front of him he is ok, but he has zero agility and watching him move from side to side he looks like a robot. He better learn superior positioning because his skating is so poor it could be a detriment to his career.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
With that said, when Lidström was 25 y/o Sherry Ross, for example, wrote that while he was looking good he still did not have more then top 3 potential because his offense wasn't good enough.

The problem here is that Sherry Ross is a bad hockey analyst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad