Larsson/Rundblad/Erixon

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I agree that Merill and Urbom are good prospects (and I don't agree with his point), but in fairness, I took the original post to be referencing what the Devils have developed recently as far as defensemen go -- ie: the recent Devils' prospects that turned into NHL players -- not a critique of their current defensive prospect pool outside Larsson.

He clearly stated that devils have nobody except Larsson, and there's no denying that, I'm not a Devils fan, in fact I couldn't care less about them so I really have no bias here, and no motive to play Devils advocate (sorry for the pun).

Anyway here's the line in his post I was responding to:

The Devils basically have nothing other than Larsson.

azrok22

Mar 8, 2006
yeah, its pretty tough to develop a lot of star power when you're picking late in the first round every year (besides this year of course). The Rangers have been pretty mediocre the last 5-6 years giving them picks in the 10-16 range most drafts

Not sure why you're getting defensive, but for clarity's sake Girardi was an undrafted signing, Sauer was a second round pick, and McDonagh was a prospect they traded for.

Staal was a case of the Rangers trading up in the 1st round (from the 16th overall pick to the 12th pick -- from the 2005 draft lottery), and Del Zotto (who wasn't even including on the above list) was a 20th overall pick.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
The Devils also really haven't focused on drafting and developing defencemen recently. For a long time, they drafted mostly forwards, and the only two defensive prospects worth mentioning in the system were Corrente and Eckford. Neither looks like he will ever be an impact performer at the NHL level.

In recent years, however, the Devils have begun to focus on drafting big and mobile defencemen, and now they have a very good pool of defensive prospects.

Doubting the Devils' ability to produce defencemen is silly. They'll get some good players out of their current group, and Larsson will probably be one of them.

and in terms of the last few years, Greene, Fayne and Taormina have all played well.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
How does Larsson (6'3" 197 to 220lbs) compare to Edler (6'3" 215lbs)?

Edler does a lot in Vancouver. He's a PPQB, he's on the PK, he plays top 4 minutes (AV likes to rotate 2 pairings), and he can play very phyiscal - ask Drew Doughty.

Edler:
ASSETS: Owns an imposing frame, smooth fundamentals and all-around acumen. Can play on the power play and excels in one-on-one situations.
FLAWS: For a player of his size, he doesn't play enough of a physical game to keep forwards honest. He's also inconsistent on offense.
CAREER POTENTIAL: All-round big-minute defenseman with upside.
- Forecaster

All the projections that Larsson gets he sounds like he will be similar to Edler but probably plays more physical and has better puck handling but not necessarily better offensively.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
im really pissed the raggos got their mitts on erixon. i really like the kid and think hell do very well. i hope he does well, just not against the devs.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Erixon may be a little underrated because he had to act clean-up crew for Rundblad all year.

Which one played all games in the WC? That's right, Erixon.

I am feeling good about the Rangers top 4 of Staal, Girardi, Mcdonaugh , Sauer but I also have a feeling Erixon will be getting tons of minutes in the 2nd half of the yr. Add Del Zotto to that and man that D should be and I repeat should be awesome

iggyman12

Jun 17, 2010
Calgary
I hope Erixon never plays an NHL game after what he did to us. Tim could not have screwed us over any more. The guy has no class and im so pissed that crybaby got to go to the city of his choice.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I'm very excited for Erixon this upcoming season.. I think he will surprise alot of you guys.

His Beardliness*

How does Larsson (6'3" 197 to 220lbs) compare to Edler (6'3" 215lbs)?

Edler does a lot in Vancouver. He's a PPQB, he's on the PK, he plays top 4 minutes (AV likes to rotate 2 pairings), and he can play very phyiscal - ask Drew Doughty.

Edler:
- Forecaster

All the projections that Larsson gets he sounds like he will be similar to Edler but probably plays more physical and has better puck handling but not necessarily better offensively.

Probably won't play as physical as Edler. Edler was averagely physical in the regular season but he was a monster in the playoffs.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I'm very excited for Erixon this upcoming season.. I think he will surprise alot of you guys.

What do you expect of him? I was thinking something like 15-25 points with quite good D play. Similar to Kulikovs rookie year maybe.

His Beardliness*

I hope Erixon never plays an NHL game after what he did to us. Tim could not have screwed us over any more. The guy has no class and im so pissed that crybaby got to go to the city of his choice.

LOL Calgary. Might as well play in Russia.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
and in terms of the last few years, Greene, Fayne and Taormina have all played well.

But it remains to be seen whether any of those guys will be impact performers at the NHL level. The last impact defender the Devils drafted and developed was arguably Paul Martin, and now even he's gone.

I think that this dearth was caused by the fact that the Devils simply weren't drafting high potential offensive defencemen with their high picks. They are now. In the last few drafts, they've piled up guys like Larsson, Merrill, Burlon, Gelinas, Urbom, and Scarlett. Have to think that at least one of those guys will be able to become a point producer at the NHL level. Maybe more, and of course the Devils would be very pleased with that.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
What do you expect of him? I was thinking something like 15-25 points with quite good D play. Similar to Kulikovs rookie year maybe.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking aswell. You rarely if ever see any mistakes from the guy..

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I agree that Merill and Urbom are good prospects (and I don't agree with his point), but in fairness, I took the original post to be referencing what the Devils have developed recently as far as defensemen go -- ie: the recent Devils' prospects that turned into NHL players -- not a critique of their current defensive prospect pool outside Larsson.
New Jersey didn't develop anything because they didn't draft much outside Corrente that had any top 4 potential. We were very forward bias in the early rounds with Parise, Vrana, Zajac, Bergfors, Vasyunov, Hoeffel, Palmieri, Tedenby. Out of those years Corrente, Fraser and Burlon were the only semi legit defense prospects we drafted and Burlon just finished his college career.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
He clearly stated that devils have nobody except Larsson, and there's no denying that, I'm not a Devils fan, in fact I couldn't care less about them so I really have no bias here, and no motive to play Devils advocate (sorry for the pun).

Anyway here's the line in his post I was responding to:

Except we do have guys like Urbom, Merrill, Gelinas etc...

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
LOL Calgary. Might as well play in Russia.

Refusal to sign isn't something I take issue with. What I do take issue with is him and his agent maintaining negotiations as though there was ever any possibility of signing in Calgary until the last minute; that, combined with Sutter being a Pejorative Slur, absolutely handcuffed Feaster and gave him no leverage in the trade.

Oroku Saki*

Larsson - #1 defenseman. 30-50 points.

Rundblad - #2 defenseman. PP magician. 40-65 points.

Erixon - Steady #2-3. 20-50 points.

Just my opinion.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Probably won't play as physical as Edler. Edler was averagely physical in the regular season but he was a monster in the playoffs.

Most projections have Larsson developing into a plus physical player. He certainly has the potential to be as physical or more physical than someone like Edler.

Agree with the beard guy on this one, Larsson won't be a very physical defensive defenseman. Not saying he's soft, obviously.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Agree with the beard guy on this one, Larsson won't be a very physical defensive defenseman. Not saying he's soft, obviously.

He isn't soft, but I see him relying on positioning and stickwork more than physicality when it comes to one on one defending.

Personally, I don't care what style he employs as long as he is effective with it.

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
PP1 games 1-30 Rundblad - Lindgren
PP2 games 1-30 Larsson - Erixon (Skrbek)

Koistinen both PP1 PP2 the games he played (10-12)

PP1 30-PO Rundblad Erixon
PP2 30-PO Larsson - Lindgren (Bellmare(F)

This is how i remember it.

Much appreciated. From this is looks like Erixon earned increased responsibility as the year went on. Good to know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad