In Memoriam Larry Lucchino

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Larry Lucchino, whose tenure as Red Sox president included three World Series championships, with the first ending an 86-year drought, died Tuesday. He was 78.

Mr. Lucchino, whom franchise owner John Henry called “one of the most important executives in baseball history,” also served as president of the Baltimore Orioles and San Diego Padres, both of whom made dramatic improvements soon after his arrival.

During his 14 years in Boston, beginning in 2002, the club reached the playoffs seven times and won the Series in 2004, 2007, and 2013.

From 2016 to the time of his death, Mr. Lucchino also served as the chairman of the Jimmy Fund, which raises millions for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and is the Sox official charity.

Mr. Lucchino was a three-time survivor of cancer — lymphoma, prostate, and renal. He was a long-time trustee of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, where he received treatment. Mr. Lucchino also was a major fund-raiser and donor for the Jimmy Fund, and in 2016 was named chairman, which he said was “an honor and a duty.”

Mr. Lucchino, who lived in Chestnut Hill, leaves his, wife, Stacey, daughter, Blair, and son, Davis.

Asked what he thought his legacy would be, Mr. Lucchino said: “He made a difference in cities he lived in.”

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'll stick to the "cant say anything nice" rule but no sympathy here after his role in the Pawsox fiasco
I understand more than most Lucchino's role in the PawSox debacle.

Still today is not the time to rehash that.

I find it ironic that he passed on the morning of the Worcester home opener.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Pawtucket thing aside, it's become clear that he was Henry and Werner's heat shield for a good decade and a half, because both went off the rails after he left.

He left a controversial trail. Did some bad stuff with the Padres and Sox and screwed over Mondor's widow for the AAA team. But he was one of the guys fighting for Theo at the very beginning and was forward-thinking on baseball matters.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Larry Lucchino wn as a person you could say was the smartest guy in the room as he possessed street smarts growing up in Pittsburgh and an Ivy League intellect from Princeton.

Camden Yards, Petco Park and a refurbished Fenway all happened on his watch.

FSG sent him and Doctor C into exile to Pawtucket/Worcester 9 years ago and we don't know to this day who orchestrated that.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I have mixed feelings about Lucchino and I won't air those feelings here, because it is not the time or place. What I will say is that I respect the work he has done as a philanthropist and funding cancer research with Dana Farber and the Jimmy Fund.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad