Larry Brooks:NHLPA'S SEEKING CAP HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
NHL Players' Association negotiators have been in constant communication with their counterparts at the NBA Players Association over the last week, seeking advice on how to include specific language in the collective bargaining agreement to ensure that league owners don't hide revenues that are meant to be included within hockey's coming cap, The Post has learned.

According to sources, representatives for the basketball players have told the NHLPA they believe NBA owners consistently divert income meant to be included in their cap, but are apparently unable to prove it. The NHL union is seeking to prevent such chicanery in their sport after having agreed to take a percentage-of-the-gross cap.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/49813.htm

Larry has some other info on revenue sharing

chiavsfan

I think they have spents weeks and months going detail by detail over "what is revenue?" to avoid this. I also think the details of "what is revenue?" is why this CBA is going to be 600+ pages. This is just another "last gasp" by Brooks to incite a PA revolution

GSC2k2*

Yep, and the NBA PA has been very careful to keep such disputes under wraps, with not a hint of dispute ever even making it to the papers for years, even in a rumour form, among the hundreds and hundreds of media providing saturating levels of coverage on the NBA, and happily sign up to the same format year over year over year ,,,

Yep.

Such a transparent Goodenow misinformation ploy ...

What makes me laugh so hard at it is that Goodenow and Brooks probably think they are being pretty damn clever when Brooks' column gets cooked up.

X0ssbar

This is the first I've heard of this:

The Post has confirmed that the television-market exemption first disclosed in this space on Sept. 16 will apply. Therefore, even though the Islanders and Mighty Ducks were among the league's bottom 10 revenue producers in 2003-04, their inclusion in the New York and Los Angeles markets, respectively, disqualifies them for aid.

The Blackhawks reported the second-lowest revenue in the league for that year, which is why the league invented the statute disqualifying TV markets with over 2.5 million households. It is believed that had the Blackhawks reported suite revenues honestly, they would have moved into the upper half of NHL revenue producers, with Anaheim thus dropping from 20th to 21st.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
chiavsfan said:
I think they have spents weeks and months going detail by detail over "what is revenue?" to avoid this. I also think the details of "what is revenue?" is why this CBA is going to be 600+ pages. This is just another "last gasp" by Brooks to incite a PA revolution

Stop with the conspiracy theories.Do you really this is going to incite a PA revolution?Stop looking for things.Why do you think it's taken longer to write up the deal than to actually negotiate it?

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Top Shelf said:

That's good. Chicago shouldn't be rewarded.

Does this mean that the bottom 10 teams of the non big tv markets get help, or do they just take the list of the bottom 10, take out the big tv markets and give money to 7 or 8 teams?

chiavsfan

RangerBoy said:
Stop with the conspiracy theories.Do you really this is going to incite a PA revolution?Stop looking for things.Why do you think it's taken longer to write up the deal than to actually negotiate it?

I'm not saying anything about a conspiracy...you and I agree...if you actually read what I wrote, I said that is why this stupid thing has taken so long.

I think they have spents weeks and months going detail by detail over "what is revenue?" to avoid this.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
gscarpenter2002 said:
Yep, and the NBA PA has been very careful to keep such disputes under wraps, with not a hint of dispute ever even making it to the papers for years, even in a rumour form, among the hundreds and hundreds of media providing saturating levels of coverage on the NBA, and happily sign up to the same format year over year over year ,,,

Yep.

Such a transparent Goodenow misinformation ploy ...

What makes me laugh so hard at it is that Goodenow and Brooks probably think they are being pretty damn clever when Brooks' column gets cooked up.

You don't think the NBA Players Association feels the NBA is hiding money.They sign up for the system because the system has been in place for 22 years.The system has worked for the players because they all make money.It's the only system most the NBA players,management and agents have known

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
chiavsfan said:
I'm not saying anything about a conspiracy...you and I agree...if you actually read what I wrote, I said that is why this stupid thing has taken so long.

Do you really Larry Brooks is going to stop the CBA from getting ratified by writing the language of the CBA is still being drawn up?The NHLPA doesn't trust the NHL because some of the same owners were in cohoots with the former PA head Alan Eagleson and they ripped off the players together

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Top Shelf said:
Bill wirtz expecting Revenue Sharing handout money .. Good one .. :biglaugh:

He should be among the 10 clubs that are paying based on his market size and fan base..

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
chiavsfan said:

you sound like an idiot.

chiavsfan

nyrmessier011 said:
you sound like an idiot.

Explain this to me...everyone *****es and moans because the players think they are getting ripped by the owners. So they sit down, and discuss at nauseum what "revenue" means. This goes on for almost 2 months, meetings everyday...then this garbage comes out, and I am the idiot.

I am just making a point that it's taking so long because they were busy defining "revenue." If the truth makes me an idiot, than so be it.

GSC2k2*

RangerBoy said:
You don't think the NBA Players Association feels the NBA is hiding money.They sign up for the system because the system has been in place for 22 years.The system has worked for the players because they all make money.It's the only system most the NBA players,management and agents have known
Correct. I do not. They have joint auditors go over the books. Sports franchise finances are hardly rocket science in financial terms. I know gah-gah know-nothings like Massager ooh and aah over the fact that NHL teams use more than one company to conduct their affairs and the massively complex web of companies they use on occasion, and those yahoos spount on about how they hide revenue. I have had clients with simpler businesses who use more companies (for various reasons, including liability and tax purposes). It is a load of bull****

Sources of revenue in sports franchises are well established. For any of the big accounting firms, this type of audit assignment is a snap. Far from rocket science, this is barely third grade math level for them.

Even the NHLPA has actually not had any problem with the NHL books for quite some time. Goodenow stated as such ON THE RADIO. Right out of his mouth.

I repeat. Brooks' hamfisted amateur attempt to stir up dissent in the PA.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
I see this as a good thing, I am glad they are looking at other CBA Systems...but it sounds like they have been doing this for awhile. I don't see it as a risk or a last minute thing.

Dogbert*

Don't let Larry Brooks influence your opinion.

We've been over this a million times. Brooks' sources are the voices in his head, and he's only trying to incite dissent in the players' ranks. He knows nothing.

Wait until McKenzie or Duhatschek say something like this. Then, we'll know.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Dogbert said:
Don't let Larry Brooks influence your opinion.

We've been over this a million times. Brooks' sources are the voices in his head, and he's only trying to incite dissent in the players' ranks. He knows nothing.

Wait until McKenzie or Duhatschek say something like this. Then, we'll know.

Larrys sources have been A LOT more credible then most sources in the past 2 months. I'll think ill listen to him. (maybe not his opinions but his sources yes)

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Well...doenst look like this will be done by Monday.

Why, don't listen to the media garbage. They would not of asked every owner to NY just for the fun of it. It will be done (IMO) but I bet we don't hear about it till after the owners meeting.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Larrys sources have been A LOT more credible then most sources in the past 2 months. I'll think ill listen to him. (maybe not his opinions but his sources yes)

Larry has very little credibilty IMO, this guy is full of hot air. There is no Media source that has any idea of how close they are. Only Daly and Saskin know. The Media are guessing just like everyone else.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
gscarpenter2002 said:

Do you actually have any tangible proof that Goodenow and Brooks are cooking up these columns together, because if not then it`s libelous of you to say that.

So please detail your proof, unless you`re someone who talks out of his a** then refuses to step up when called on it.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Brooks has exactly zero credibility outside of New York. That should tell you New Yorkers something. Similar to Al Strachan in Toronto. Virtually everybody outside of their home markets just laughs off articles written by fools like this.

On the topic, it is, of course, notable that the NHLPA is apparently only now trying to get advice on what revenue to look for after spending years refusing to even conside the idea, and they go to a union that apparently claims that it's owners are hiding revenue, but obviously cannot prove it.

Talk about the blind leading the blind.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Bill wirtz expecting Revenue Sharing handout money .. Good one .. :biglaugh:

He should be among the 10 clubs that are paying based on his market size and fan base..

Cant they do us a favor in Chicago and make part of the new CBA that the Wirtz family has to sell the Hawks to someone who actually cares about winning hockey?
Pleeeease!!!

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
I am pro-onwer but I believe if it is discovered that owners are found hiding revenues, the penalty should be EXTREMELY harsh. 40 X the amount hiddden should be allocated to the players from the offending team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad