Larry Brooks lockout column 9/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gary Bettman and his stooges are going to destroy this league.

We first wrote 27 months ago of the league's intent to hold a dispersal draft in conjunction with implementation of a hard cap. Now, wait until you read what we've learned from a team executive is the outline of another plan floating through the league that might be adopted in conjunction with the NHL's plan to bust the union and unilaterally implement.

Seems that the league is exploring a transition plan under which teams would be permitted to keep all of its current players on the roster, but only permitted to dress a lineup with an aggregate payroll of up to $31M. Yes, you read correctly. Meaning that if the Rangers wanted to use Jaromir Jagr, Bobby Holik, Michael Nylander, Darius Kasparaitis and Kevin Weekes on the same night, they'd have to supplement that five-man core with 15 players making a total of $2.475M.

Sounds like a well-conceived plan to us.

Hope Bettman and company are happy when the NHL is no longer recognized as a major sport in U.S. which is where their assault on the players will take this league

http://www.nypost.com/sports/28845.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
RangerBoy said:
Seems that the league is exploring a transition plan under which teams would be permitted to keep all of its current players on the roster, but only permitted to dress a lineup with an aggregate payroll of up to $31M. Yes, you read correctly. Meaning that if the Rangers wanted to use Jaromir Jagr, Bobby Holik, Michael Nylander, Darius Kasparaitis and Kevin Weekes on the same night, they'd have to supplement that five-man core with 15 players making a total of $2.475M.

Sounds like a well-conceived plan to us. [/B]

How is it that in the last couple of weeks, teams have signed players to minor-league contracts that defy explanation? Why in the world would the Sabres have given Jason Botterill, who's played all of 88 NHL games in a seven-year pro career, a $140,000 deal to play in Rochester? Why would the Wild have given Ray Giroux a $200,000 AHL guarantee? Why would Atlanta have given Travis Roche a two-year, $350,000 guaranteed AHL contract?

Oh, don't tell us: It's because the players are greedy.

ya. those greedy players ! well, i guess its one way to deal with the current payrolls within a new cap enviroment.

dr

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
RangerBoy said:
Gary Bettman and his stooges are going to destroy this league.

We first wrote 27 months ago of the league's intent to hold a dispersal draft in conjunction with implementation of a hard cap. Now, wait until you read what we've learned from a team executive is the outline of another plan floating through the league that might be adopted in conjunction with the NHL's plan to bust the union and unilaterally implement.

Sounds like a well-conceived plan to us.

Hope Bettman and company are happy when the NHL is no longer recognized as a major sport in U.S. which is where their assault on the players will take this league

http://www.nypost.com/sports/28845.htm

This is among the stupidest ideas I've ever heard.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Slap Shots has learned that the league has instituted a policy under which its teams are expressly prohibited from communicating with or publicizing any player within their organizations — signed or unsigned, playing in the minors, in junior leagues, in Europe or in college — for the duration of the lockout. The policy, first communicated by memo in late summer and then reinforced in a conference call with club PR and marketing executives last Monday, forbids teams from featuring any players in charity fund-raising events or from promoting players through the media.

Yes its true, even the charities and sick kids must make their sacrifices for the greater good of the struggling billionaire owners. Oh yes, they are such princes just trying to save the game.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Larry Brooks is also a Rangers homer.. we all know the Rangers are the bastion of conservative and wise spending.

Larry Brooks is hardly an objective voice on this matter.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Vishinator05 said:
Larry Brooks is also a Rangers homer.. we all know the Rangers are the bastion of conservative and wise spending.

Larry Brooks has not written a nice thing about the Rangers since 1996 when they signed Wayne Gretzky.Next time,please have an idea about what you are talking about before you write such stupid things

Brooks has been covering the NHL for the New York Post since the late 1970's.During that time,he left the Post to work as Director of Commincations for the DEVILS before returning to the paper in 1994.He has been the beat writer for the Islanders,Devils and Rangers at the Post.

When it comes to CBA issues,Brooks scoops every writer out there.Watch.Brooks had terrific info during the first lockout ten years ago.He has been extremely accurate in everything he has written about this lockout.That is why the NHL office in New York can't stand him

Sorry Larry is not a trained seal who believes everything put out by the NHL and refuses to drink Gary Bettman's Kool-Aid

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
Larry Brooks has not written a nice thing about the Rangers since 1996 when they signed Wayne Gretzky.Next time,please have an idea about what you are talking about before you write such stupid things

Brooks has been covering the NHL for the New York Post since the late 1970's.During that time,he left the Post to work as Director of Commincations for the DEVILS before returning to the paper in 1994.He has been the beat writer for the Islanders,Devils and Rangers at the Post.

When it comes to CBA issues,Brooks scoops every writer out there.Watch.Brooks had terrific info during the first lockout ten years ago.He has been extremely accurate in everything he has written about this lockout.That is why the NHL office in New York can't stand him

Sorry Larry is not a trained seal who believes everything put out by the NHL and refuses to drink Gary Bettman's Kool-Aid

That's what I called a good post !!! :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Funny how someone who think like the OWNERS is a knowledgeable person & the opposite, he must be eating in Bob Goodenow's hand.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Vishinator05 said:
His whole reason for being is to sling mud at small-market teams and write about how much he covets their players. He rarely writes anything worth reading, and this article is no exception. I swear he makes up half his stuff to support his own position.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
RangerBoy said:

Who is Larry Brook's audience? The number one media market in North America. Maybe I'm off on his shilling for the Rangers, but how much do you think the Ranger and Islander fans who read his trash on a daily basis really care about the teams in Pittsburgh, Calgary and any other small market team that can't compete with the money bag Rangers?

The Rangers have quite possibly done more than any other team to put the NHL in the place it is right now. (see: Sakic, Holik and any other big name free agent they've overpaid for)

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
RangerBoy said:
Brooks may disagree with the Rangers on day to day details, but he had the gaul to anoint them "the most important team in hockey." Everyone of his articles is geared around the notion that the Pittsburghs Calgarys, Colorados and everyother team should give unto the Rangers.

He works for the worst paper in the country and I've seen his batting average on trade rumors so I'm not impressed with his "sources."

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Hasbro said:
Rangers ... "the most important team in hockey."
NEWSFLASH

The Rangers are the most important team in hockey. If they had dominated the last 10 years, there would have been no need for a lockout, the owners would have so much revenue, they wouldnt even think of trying to tell us otherwise.

DR

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
DementedReality said:
Hasbro said:
NEWSFLASH

The Rangers are the most important team in hockey. If they had dominated the last 10 years, there would have been no need for a lockout, the owners would have so much revenue, they wouldnt even think of trying to tell us otherwise.

DR

Larrys point is not far from the truth. In 1994, when the Rangers won the cup,
hockey in the USA was at its all time high. The Rangers missed the playoffs 7 years in a row and where is the league in popularity?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
DementedReality said:
Hasbro said:
NEWSFLASH

DR

Oh my god, there is still someone out there that believes this??

:rolleyes:

Brent Burns Beard