Larrson or Nugent-Hopkins?

• Thread starter MPStoEberletoHall*
  • Start date

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
Anthony Stewart?

Gilbert Brule?

Toews is not a powerforward. Eric Staal isn't bad, but he's mostly big as opposed to a PWF.

When was Brule ever considered a power forward? Anyways, if I am picking for the Oilers definitely gotta go with Larson, he is exactly what they need although I suppose they are not top heavy with young centres, mostly wingers besides Gagner.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Definitely Larsson. He is a sure fire top 2 d-man on any team when he develops. RNH has significantly more boom/bust potential, mostly due to his lack of size ( think Cogliano/gagner.. lots of potential, no size)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Definitely Larsson. He is a sure fire top 2 d-man on any team when he develops. RNH has significantly more boom/bust potential, mostly due to his lack of size ( think Cogliano/gagner.. lots of potential, no size)

RNH is above average height wise. He is already a shade over 6'0. His size concerns are weight related, which is something that can be addressed.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I don't worry about him gaining the weight sooner or later, but I'm questioning if he will be NHL ready next season.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Larsson and its not debatable for the Oilers. A future Lidstrom or a talented center? Especially for the Oilers I dont know how you could ask that question since you dont seem to have any real, "blue chip" defensive prospects that I know of. In my opinion, Larsson is the only person in the draft that will actually be a major contributing factor to any team. Hes the only gamebreaker.

Thats not to say that RNH/Couturier/Landeskog wont be good, but Larsson is the only one IN MY OPINION that will be an elite level player. All others will probably be an average 1st liner or solid 2nd liner.

itsmagic

Sep 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
This debate over Larsson vs RNH reminds me of a long ago Christmas morning in the mid-sixties. I was trembling with antnticipation of finding a Johnny Seven One Man Army in a gaily wrapped package under the tree or perhaps a Secret Sam attache case.

Instead I found an Odd Ogg.

Now the Odd Ogg was an interesting toy, but it wasn't what I was expecting with certainty...

Between the draft lottery and the improved play of the Oilers of late, even without Penner, Hemsky, Hall, and Whitney, neither of Larsson or RNH is a sure thing.

It is fun to speculate, and odds are the pick in June will be top 5, but to declare it a slam dunk top two might be a reach at this point.

Just another opinion like others on HF that mean squat.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006

I don't think that's fair to RNH. Gagner went 6th overall in a weak draft and Cogliano was a 25th overall pick. We're talking about a guy that could go 1st overall. He's not just a high end prospect...he's a top end prospect. He's more comparable to Patrick Kane than he is to Sam Gagner.

Sometimes a player is just good. I don't think size will be much of an issue for him.

1. Larsson
2. Couturier
3. RNH

The OP forgot one for me.
I don't know about Couturier. I haven't seen enough of him to be considered an expert but between the WJC and then watching him on Sportsnet yesterday, I've always walked away underwhelmed. I could just be watching the wrong games but he's never looked like a player that could go 1st overall. The size is nice but it doesn't seem like enough.

I haven't seen RNH much either but at least he gets you excited about the thought of him being an Oiler. He's fun to watch.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know about Couturier. I haven't seen enough of him to be considered an expert but between the WJC and then watching him on Sportsnet yesterday, I've always walked away underwhelmed. I could just be watching the wrong games but he's never looked like a player that could go 1st overall. The size is nice but it doesn't seem like enough.

I haven't seen RNH much either but at least he gets you excited about the thought of him being an Oiler. He's fun to watch.

I'm putting more weight into stats. RNH's are underwhelming to me. Couturier's are the opposite. I think Couturier was put in a checking roll on the WJC team and when he didn't put up big points people discounted his offensive potential.

He was the only underager to make the team for a reason imo. He scores, he can pass the puck, he can win faceoffs, he's good at both ends of the ice and he's huge. He's the perfect player to have between Hall and Eberle for the next 10 years imo.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
defenseman take longer to develop so you take the defenseman this year, and your most likely going to get a top 5/top 10 pick next year so you pick the dominant centers/forward in galchenyuk or yakupov, then there you go... your set for the next 10+ years.(lucky ********;) )

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I'm putting more weight into stats. RNH's are underwhelming to me. Couturier's are the opposite. I think Couturier was put in a checking roll on the WJC team and when he didn't put up big points people discounted his offensive potential.

He was the only underager to make the team for a reason imo. He scores, he can pass the puck, he can win faceoffs, he's good at both ends of the ice and he's huge. He's the perfect player to have between Hall and Eberle for the next 10 years imo.
I keep hearing that RNH has more upside but Couturier is the safer bet. Has this become the consensus out there or do people think Couturier has the higher ceiling?

Ryan Kesler may put up 70 points and win a Selke but I'd still trade him before Henrik Sedin.

I want the player were the higher offensive potential to play on the Oilers first line. I don't really care if he can kill a penalty. Everything else is just bonus.

MPStoEberletoHall*

defenseman take longer to develop so you take the defenseman this year, and your most likely going to get a top 5/top 10 pick next year so you pick the dominant centers/forward in galchenyuk or yakupov, then there you go... your set for the next 10+ years.(lucky ********;) )

:laugh:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah if you guys are going to be bad for at least one more year you might as well take the defenceman and wait out on a forward that looks to be better than anyone in this draft (Yakupov.)

Worst case scenario with how stacked the defence is on the draft next year you guys get two blue-chip defenceman and you can hope to get a legit #1 C with the rest of your picks (remember you have LA's 1st...maybe you can net Zibanejad, Catennaci or St. Croix.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->