Larrson or Nugent-Hopkins?

• Thread starter MPStoEberletoHall*
  • Start date

MPStoEberletoHall*

Larrson or Nugent-Hopkins... As a Oiler fan I am undecided who I want. Larrson has been compared to Lidstrom. Nugent-Hopkins has been compared to Sakic. Both these guys are exactly what the Oilers need on their roster right now. I know they play different positions, but who do you think would be the right selection for the Oilers at the 2011 NHL Draft!

4thliner*

Larrson or Nugent-Hopkins... As a Oiler fan I am undecided who I want. Larrson has been compared to Lidstrom. Nugent-Hopkins has been compared to Sakic. Both these guys are exactly what the Oilers need on their roster right now. I know they play different positions, but who do you think would be the right selection for the Oilers at the 2011 NHL Draft!

I really think Nugen-Hopkins' got HUGE talent as in top 10 pure talent in the NHL if he reaches his potential some day. He could join the Stamkos class. But just too many variables.

But I am also not sure he will reach that potential or even come close to it. In order to reach you full potential especially for a smallish guy you need longevity, character, high compete level, and you need to get bigger and stronger.

Larsson, I don't know if he will have Lidstrom career or anywhere near it. But I am more confident that he will turn out to be an all-star dman. I would have liked to have seen him put up big numbers in the SEL this year. If you are gonna bank on a dman reaching his potential he better have intelligence and high degree of IQ to go along with all the tools. This is what Larsson has, oodles of it. So it is legit when people say he can turnout to be a generational type of dman. But he has NOT shown that this year in the SEL offensively. Still outstanding defensively.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Larsson is more likely to pay off earlier. Usually thats not the case with Dmen but this is one of those rare exceptions. Larsson can step in right away and be an impact player and has that franchise potential exactly what we need.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Nugent-Hopkins cuz I dont know who Larrson is

Pyke*

The Oilers will get whoever the Avs don't pick.:sarcasm:

The Avalanche won't want to pick Couturier or RNH, because they already have Stastny and Duchene. They might well be most interested in Landeskog or Larsson. There's a lot of elite centers in this draft, but not a lot of elite Wingers/D-Men.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The Avalanche won't want to pick Couturier or RNH, because they already have Stastny and Duchene. They might well be most interested in Landeskog or Larsson. There's a lot of elite centers in this draft, but not a lot of elite Wingers/D-Men.

I think the Avs would love to have SC or RNH.

Hell, if they end up picking 4th, they will gladly take one of those 2.

Pyke*

I think the Avs would love to have SC or RNH.

Hell, if they end up picking 4th, they will gladly take one of those 2.

I think Colorado - at 3rd - would get Landeskog easily.

Probably at 4th too, since I think Florida would take Couturier with their pick.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Apparently Ottawa is really high on Landeskog though

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

The only reason people say this is because he's Swedish.

No some guy was claiming his friend works in the Senators' Franchise and that they were really high on him or something.

FWIW :dunno:

Pyke*

No some guy was claiming his friend works in the Senators' Franchise and that they were really high on him or something.

FWIW :dunno:

I dunno. I still don't think it makes any sense, with a potential top 2 selection, to choose a "safe, ready for the NHL" type player. If you look at power forwards drafted in the top 10 between 2000 and 2010, you don't have a lot of home runs.

Live from Rexall

Apr 6, 2008
London, UK
The only reason people say this is because he's Swedish.

I would think people are saying this because the Sens have a fairly deep dman prospect pool and Spezza will be the center in Ottawa for a while so that would leave looking for high end talent on the wings!

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I dunno. I still don't think it makes any sense, with a potential top 2 selection, to choose a "safe, ready for the NHL" type player. If you look at power forwards drafted in the top 10 between 2000 and 2010, you don't have a lot of home runs.
Evander Kane?:dunno:

Toews Nash and Staal aint too bad either.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Anthony Stewart?

Gilbert Brule?

Toews is not a powerforward. Eric Staal isn't bad, but he's mostly big as opposed to a PWF.

Anthony Stewart? Since when was he a top 10 pick? Guy was basically a second rounder.

And I consider Toews a powerforward. Then again, I consider Hossa one too.

Anyways you said there weren't very many successes, I'm just providing examples to the contrary, add a guy like Bobby Ryan or (might be too soon but) Taylor Hall who plays pretty much a powerforwards game and it's not all that big a risk. If Landeskog is a Brendan Morrow compareable I don't see how his game doesn't translate to the nhl.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The Oil have got to go with Larsson. The kid will be a stud down the road, and good enough to play 2nd pairing minutes immediately. Allow for his rookie season to take place while team expectations are still indifferent. By his 3rd season he'll have established his game and the Oil will actually be competitive. Not too many Dmen can be fast-tracked like that, but I think he's capable.

PortlandWinterHawks

Dec 4, 2010
I think comparisons to lidstrom is not the best comparison. Lidstrom is one of the top 3 d-men of all time in my opinion, and it is most unfair to larsson to be compared to lidstrom. If Larsson becomes even half of lidstrom the team that picks him will be pleased. Larsson makes smart decisions but lidstrom controls a game. There is a subtle difference but that's what seperates number 1 defencemen and one of the best d to play of all time.

RNH could be a special player ala Joe Sakic but I think hitting that potential is hard.
Here is how I would rank the forwards from 2008 to 2011
Stamkos
Tavares
Duchene
Hall
Seguin
RNH
Couturier/landeskog

Pyke*

I think comparisons to lidstrom is not the best comparison. Lidstrom is one of the top 3 d-men of all time in my opinion, and it is most unfair to larsson to be compared to lidstrom. If Larsson becomes even half of lidstrom the team that picks him will be pleased. Larsson makes smart decisions but lidstrom controls a game. There is a subtle difference but that's what seperates number 1 defencemen and one of the best d to play of all time.

RNH could be a special player ala Joe Sakic but I think hitting that potential is hard.
Here is how I would rank the forwards from 2008 to 2011
Stamkos
Tavares
Duchene
Hall
Seguin
RNH
Couturier/landeskog

2011/2011.

:sarcasm:

Yeah. That makes sense.

Ad