Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Beukeboom Fan said:
I think you are missing the point.

The big market teams are more desirable to UFA's today because the players will likely be playing with much more talent. If Palffy can make $6M playing with Staal & Vrbata or make $6M playing with Sakic and Hejduk (just as an example), where do you think he'll sign? COL obviously. However, under a hard cap, COL wouldn't be able to offer Palffy anywhere near the same money because they have to pay Sakic, Blake, Foote, Hejduk, Tanguay, etc.
My point is there will never be a level playing field. Players will always sign where they think they will win a cup if money is all even.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Steve L said:
How would we without a CBA? ;)
Id imagine the cap must have a grandfathering period to allow teams to adjust.

I mean in general. Is there a recurring theme in leagues with salary caps as to how the buyout effects their cap room?

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
GregStack said:
I mean in general. Is there a recurring theme in leagues with salary caps as to how the buyout effects their cap room?

In the NFL only players signing bonus count against the cap and it's pro-rated over the lenght of the contract.

So if a signing bonus if 10 million dollars over a 5 year contract. 2 million dollars will be counted against the cap a year for those 5 years.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
GregStack said:
I would imagine teams have a year or so to buy out players without any effect on their cap. Then they may decide to include a percentage of buy outs in the cap or they might not, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad