Trade: [LAR/JAX] Jalen Ramsey for 2020 1st round pick, 2021 1st round pick, and 2021 4th round pick

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Trent Williams from Washington?
Whitworth, our best OL, also plays LT, so not likely. Assuming Corbett plays LG, Center is probably our biggest need. Blythe and Havenstein haven't been very good this year, but they were very good last year, hopefully they turn it around.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The Jags have shown their defense can play at a high level without him. I do not think they will regret making this trade. The Rams might, though. In the short term, their division will be very difficult to win, and in the long term their roster isn't likely strong enough to give up first round picks in consecutive years.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
The Jags have shown their defense can play at a high level without him. I do not think they will regret making this trade. The Rams might, though. In the short term, their division will be very difficult to win, and in the long term their roster isn't likely strong enough to give up first round picks in consecutive years.

Unless they make moves to get one from another team, it will be a five year stretch without a 1st round pick for the Rams. They have gotten some good talent by moving them (Ramsay, Cooks, Goff lol) but the players the receive are not cost controlled. It's hard to maintain greatness in the NFL, but it's even tougher without first rounders .

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Rams gave up too much in my opinion. I don't have stats to back it up but I feel like all-pro corners flame out quicker than expected.
I know the Rams are going all-in, but they'll have to make Ramsey the highest ever paid CB in the summer too.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
The Rams lose 3 games, and all of a sudden our window is closed, we're foolish to be trading first round picks, our defense is terrible, and Goff is the worst quarterback in the league :laugh:.
Things happen quickly in the nfl

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
2 1sts, a 4th, and Marcus Peters for Ramsey, a back up LB and a 2nd year C?

Wow. ballsy, for sure. We'll see how it works for them.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
This is a bad deal and bad logic by the Rams.

The secondary was hardly a weakness for this team and they just gave up significant draft capital to upgrade it instead of doing something to the offensive line where they are in much more need. They are also going to be locked into massive deals for Gurley, Ramsey, Goff, Cooks, Donald and will be in tough to navigate the cap and upgrade the line.

Don't like it at all.

Reactions: Bocephus86

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

The secondary was hardly a weakness for this team and they just gave up significant draft capital to upgrade it instead of doing something to the offensive line where they are in much more need. They are also going to be locked into massive deals for Gurley, Ramsey, Goff, Cooks, Donald and will be in tough to navigate the cap and upgrade the line.

Don't like it at all.
They obviously make this deal knowing full well that they need to pay the man. Ramsey isn't playing on the 5th year club option. He'll be looking to exceed the highest CB deal by Howard by a couple of million easily.

Gurley, with his arthritis, is never going to be what he once was. If you can't count on giving him 20 touches a game, you're in trouble. And it's not like they are using a replacement for him and continuing to run the ball like they did for the first 14 games of last season.

Patrick Petersen is the other big name CB. AZ isn't making the playoffs. 1 year left on his contract after this season. Think Philly, Seattle, or KC make a hard push to acquire him. Seattle has an extra 2nd from the Clark deal from KC, gave up a 3rd for Clowney, but will get a compensatory 3rd for Earl Thomas. Have Pittsburgh's 5th for Vannett. Plus I believe that they are expected to receive compensatory picks in rounds 4-6 for guys they lost to free agency. So, could dangle a 2nd plus to get him.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Saints have had interest in Peterson for a couple years now, I wouldn't be totally surprised if they made a run at him.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

Don't like it at all.

With ramsay the rams are probably 5-1. I agree they have issues elsewhere but it cant be understated how much better ramsay is then peters.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
With ramsay the rams are probably 5-1. I agree they have issues elsewhere but it cant be understated how much better ramsay is then peters.

Peters is still a young CB in the league, things just didn't work out in Kansas City and Los Angeles.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

The Philadelphia Eagles came under criticism for not completing a trade for Jalen Ramsey, but it clearly was not for a lack of effort.

The Eagles offered the Jaguars first- and second-round picks for Ramsey, league sources tell ESPN, and for a period of time thought they had a chance to land him.

But the Eagles ultimately were outbid by the Los Angeles Rams, who were willing to pay a steeper price to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Eagles simply were unwilling to give up more than a first- and second-round pick, according to sources. Jacksonville even gave Philadelphia a chance to match the Rams' offer, and the Eagles declined, according to sources.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

I think you mean it can't be overstated.

Regardless, the issues are hard to ignore; the Goff and Gurley contracts don't look good right now and next year you're committed to $109 million of salary on just five players. That's well more than half the salary cap, on 5 players out of 51.

They can still be competitive right now, but that salary structure combined with 5 straight years of no first-round draft picks is going to eat away at that roster.

a few years ago the Saints were in a similar situation, but they bailed themselves out by drafting 9 starters in back to back years: Thomas, Bell, Onyemata, Rankins, Ramczyk, Lattimore, Kamara, Williams and Anzalone. Rams don’t have that anywhere near that kind of draft capital, and even if they did, the odds of that kind of success are seriously low.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad