Votes: 21 13.4%
  • Shayne Gostisbehere

Votes: 37 23.6%
  • No real impact

Votes: 15 9.6%

• Total voters

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So many people see a player get put on the PK and use it to make sweeping generalizations about their D. doesn't matter how much time, how good they are, or the fact that it doesn't have anything to do with the rest of their games. Player on PK=good defensively

It's such a bizarre thing.

Like...yes...contributing to the PK is a useful part of a really well-rounded defensive skillset. But it doesn't speak to the 5v5 defensive ability at all. Lots of players that are good at one or the other, and mediocre to poor at the other. It's completely different systems, structure, and demands.

I think it's probably just popular because it's an easy stat to look up and point at. Compared to actually evaluating what a player is doing defensively...which is a lot more subjective and takes longer to form an opinion on.

Reactions: dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It's such a bizarre thing.

Like...yes...contributing to the PK is a useful part of a really well-rounded defensive skillset. But it doesn't speak to the 5v5 defensive ability at all. Lots of players that are good at one or the other, and mediocre to poor at the other. It's completely different systems, structure, and demands.

I think it's probably just popular because it's an easy stat to look up and point at. Compared to actually evaluating what a player is doing defensively...which is a lot more subjective and takes longer to form an opinion on.
The Brendan Smith effect:

ELITE PK guy
Literally the worst dmen ever 5v5.

Reactions: biturbo19

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
To be fair...He was kinda fun to watch sometimes though. Great skater. Random hits all over the place. etc.
My theory is it's because you don't have to make accurate breakout passes on the PK and can just ice it (his specialty).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
My theory is it's because you don't have to make accurate breakout passes on the PK and can just ice it (his specialty).

The PK also just really simplifies the game. It's basically static, in-zone defence. You can realistically only get so far out of position. And he had the classic profile of a "good PKer" in that he was a great skater with great physical traits to get in lanes. He just got a little underwater when you asked him to actually use that in transition and 5v5 defence during the flow of the game. Where he's prone to fairly regularly wandering off to...not the right place.

Reactions: dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The PK also just really simplifies the game. It's basically static, in-zone defence. You can realistically only get so far out of position. And he had the classic profile of a "good PKer" in that he was a great skater with great physical traits to get in lanes. He just got a little underwater when you asked him to actually use that in transition and 5v5 defence during the flow of the game. Where he's prone to fairly regularly wandering off to...not the right place.
100% agree.

Penalty kill discourse is pretty brutal because most people's analysis doesn't go deeper than

Does he play on the PK: yes/no

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
I think many of you forget that Quinn hughes' first 2 seasons wasnt all great and glory on the defensive side of the game..he was getting pushed around a lot and the puck ended in the back of his net quite often when he was on the ice. Quinn has that determination and character to push through it and work on his game and now he is top 5 in the NHL.

I see many similar traits in Lane Hutson..offensive creativity, deceptiveness, both quite small, very good foot work (although Quinn is quite a bit better skating wise), cant talk for Quinn, but Lane has a bit of a muffin shot. But most importantly, they both have that determination to keep getting better, and to me, thats what separates guys like Yandle, Ghost, Girard to guys like Fox, Makar and Hughes.

Is Lane gonna get there? I dont know, but sky is the limit potential wise

Reactions: Next Best Thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad