Lance Monych

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
What has happened to him? I remember he was a 15-30 pick early on in the 2001-2002 season and then he just dropped off and went 4th round. He's putting up ppg stats, and overall hasn't SEEMED that bad on paper. Haven't heard hide nor hair of him since he dropped, though.

What's the deal?

dafranchz

Lance definetly has all the tools to be great. He was the last cut form Idaho (ECHL), then joined the WKings. He has been playing on the top line with Konsorada and now Sindel. You can watch him and get a sense he is a step ahead of the curve in junior. When we saw him against the bigger talent, he just seemed to disappear and get lost in the mix. I don't think it is a lack of heart or determination but, it appears that he maybe nearing his ceiling. Great guy though!

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Reveille! said:
I guess so! It certainly seemed that he topped out.

But does anyone even think he has pro potential at this point?

Don Cherry sums it up pretty well.

Personally I dont think he has pro potential. Maybe minor league pro but I cant see him in the NHL. He is an overager now and still not really dominating juniors like he should.

Bully73

Jul 22, 2004
Brandon
As a Wheat Kings fan, Monych is one of the most frustrating guys to cheer for. Some games he will totally dominate, but more often than not he is invisible. He has world class speed and a great shot, but just doesn't bring it to the table night in and night out.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
I played with and against Lance from 5 years old right up until he left for the WHL.

The kid has always been one of the most talented players. Big, strong, and skilled. However, he had very little heart when it came to being on the ice. The only time he ever got motivated was when he got angry, which unfortunately isn't often enough.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Seriously, he was a very solid prospect and he was on the NHL radar screen from the time he was 15. He was a highly regarded bantam player and big things were expected when he went to Brandon but somehow the brakes were applied and he just stopped getting better after his first season with the Wheat Kings. It's too bad really, it seems like if he wanted it bad enough he really could have been a top notch prospect. But he stopped developing and that's a damn shame for a guy with so much natural skill.

Greg

Feb 27, 2002
I agree with Steve, IMO he does not have much pro potential. The below was taken from AZ Republic article after the draft, even then the Coyotes knew they were taking a chance on him:

He scored 18 goals and 48 points and had 96 penalty minutes for the Brandon Wheat Kings in the Western Hockey League, but the reason he may have slipped in the draft was because two 16-year-olds wound up playing in front of him down the stretch. "He needs a little more drive, but there's a lot of great potential there," said Vaughn Karpan, the Coyotes' director of amateur scouting.

At the time, Central Scouting said:

A well-balanced and agile skater … possesses good puck-handling skills, maneuvering well in heavy traffic … anticipates the play very well and displays creative playmaking ability … is used in power-play and penalty killing situations … an aggressive forechecker and a tough competitor … plays a sound positional game away from the puck … will sacrifice himself to make the play … a versatile player who can play any forward position.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
LOL well you can call me Steve.. not everyone can pronounce Gwyddbwyll :)

Was excited by the Monych pick at the time, at least we didnt pick him in the 1st round where he was projected to go at one time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->