Lamoriello and Trotz speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know right! I just don't see it happening as the cost to pay Bruce Boudreau to walk away and the cost to hire Trotz would not be worth it in my opinion.
Boudreau will probably get a job whenever there's another couple openings. Just because he's the most overrated head coach in hockey and people highly regarded him.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
how on earth is a startup franchise without a single employee more intriguing than a franchise with 2 franchise players (assuming JT remains), a HOF GM and an arena set to be built?

Much more control over roster building. Trotz and the GM get to build the team from the ground up. Every player on the roster will be one that Trotz approves of first.

Seattle is a way, way better option for any coach.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Much more control over roster building. Trotz and the GM get to build the team from the ground up. Every player on the roster will be one that Trotz approves of first.

I suppose so. But isn't there going to be another expansion draft? It's not reasonable to expect another VGK story. There will likely be growing pains as there typically are with new franchises.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

If it were as simple as this. Every coach in the NHL would be resigning so they could apply for the Seattle job that features no GM, no players, no scouts, no trainers, no stick boy, basically just Leiweke and Tippett right now if it were truly that attractive. This would be the first choice for the Stanley Cup winning coach?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If it were as simple as this. Every coach in the NHL would be resigning so they could apply for the Seattle job that features no GM, no players, no scouts, no trainers, no stick boy, basically just Leiweke and Tippett right now if it were truly that attractive. This would be the first choice for the Stanley Cup winning coach?

Teams don't give permission to speak to coaches so the coaches would have to resign with the assumption that they'd get an interview. You really didn't think that through, did you?

Leiweke has an incredible history of success, BTW. So that name itself should be a big draw for a smart coach like Tortz. Adding scouts etc is not the daunting task you make it out to be.

On top of that Trotz gets the benefit of being able to spend more time with his family for at least a year before he begins the job. And it does seem like Seattle will make their offer more lucrative by paying him for the coming season as well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Teams don't give permission to speak to coaches so the coaches would have to resign with the assumption that they'd get an interview. You really didn't think that through, did you?

Leiweke has an incredible history of success, BTW. So that name itself should be a big draw for a smart coach like Tortz. Adding scouts etc is not the daunting task you make it out to be.

On top of that Trotz gets the benefit of being able to spend more time with his family for at least a year before he begins the job. And it does seem like Seattle will make their offer more lucrative by paying him for the coming season as well.

If a Coach wants out of their contract. They could get out. I doubt teams would force a coach to stay if they wanted to leave, an agreed buyout would be more likely. Infact is there are so few NHL coaching jobs, it rarely happens.

But that is not the point, what you are claiming here, and it's a big stretch. Is a Coach would find an expansion team more attractive than an established franchise all things equal. I find this thinking far fetched. Most coaches want security, want to win, want good players, and most importantly the most money a team will pay them.

If you have inside information that Seattle is offering the biggest lump sum contract for Trotz I would believe this, more than the story you cooked up.

Can you demonstrate any of these things Seattle has offered to suggest your position is remotely correct? Otherwise, you are speculating, and it is just an opinion.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If a Coach wants out of their contract. They could get out. I doubt teams would force a coach to stay if they wanted to leave, an agreed buyout would be more likely. Infact is there are so few NHL coaching jobs, it rarely happens.

But that is not the point, what you are claiming here, and it's a big stretch. Is a Coach would find an expansion team more attractive than an established franchise all things equal. I find this thinking far fetched. Most coaches want security, want to win, want good players, and most importantly the most money a team will pay them.

Can you demonstrate any of these things Seattle has offered to suggest your position is remotely correct? Otherwise, you are speculating, and it is just an opinion.

Ok, so didn't even bother to read what I wrote. Or maybe you can't comprehend. Since teams aren't allowed to contact coaches under contract, how will a coach even know a team is interested?

Secondly, you accuse me of speculating when I offer common sense things that Seattle would do to make them more lucrative. Yet, here you are spouting off uninformed nonsense for pages and pages.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ok, so didn't even bother to read what I wrote. Or maybe you can't comprehend. Since teams aren't allowed to contact coaches under contract, how will a coach even know a team is interested?

Secondly, you accuse me of speculating when I offer common sense things that Seattle would do to make them more lucrative. Yet, here you are spouting off uninformed nonsense for pages and pages.

You brought it up. You said quote:

Don't run away and hide now since I asked what do you have to back up this opinion.

Other than money, can you explain why a Stanley Cup winning coach would want to go to Seattle?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
You brought it up. You said quote:

Don't run away and hide now since I asked what do you have to back up this opinion.

Other than money, can you explain why a Stanley Cup winning coach would want to go to Seattle?

I guess you missed the post about Trotz having a lot more input on roster building and that every player on the team would be one that Trotz approved of. That would be a incredibly attractive perk for a coach.

What could the Islanders offer that's even close to that? Nothing.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I guess you missed the post about Trotz having a lot more input on roster building and that every player on the team would be one that Trotz approved of. That would be a incredibly attractive perk for a coach.

What could the Islanders offer that's even close to that? Nothing.

I think you are overthinking it, you are probably trying to get a rise out of Isles fans by suggesting Seattle with basically Leiweke and Tippett at this stage is better than joining the Isles, Lou, with some good young players to build on. He would still have input on the roster if he signs with the Isles. As Babcock did with Lou. There are going to be changes there, as we have seen in 2 weeks since Lou was hired, big ones already. He would be part of this. A historic franchise, new arena, one with history and in near a big market in the big apple.

The only way he goes to a like team Seattle is because they offer him the most money, that no one could refuse. This would make the more sense.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I think you are overthinking it, you are probably trying to get a rise out of Isles fans by suggesting Seattle with basically Leiweke and Tippett at this stage is better than joining the Isles, Lou, with some good young players to build on. He would still have input on the roster if he signs with the Isles. As Babcock did with Lou.

The only way he goes to a like team Seattle is because they offer him the money, that no one could refuse. This would make the most sense.

Baiting is your style, not mine.

I genuinely think Seattle is a very interesting option. Leiweke has an undeniable history of success. And Seattle's position offers Trotz a level of control he probably wouldn't have anywhere else. On top of that, there is at least a year before he has to start with the real work. These are all very reasonable things that I've said.

I'm afraid it's you has come up with nothing to show that the Islanders are a destination any coach would be go to.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Baiting is your style, not mine.

I genuinely think Seattle is a very interesting option. Leiweke has an undeniable history of success. And Seattle's position offers Trotz a level of control he probably wouldn't have anywhere else. On top of that, there is at least a year before he has to start with the real work. These are all very reasonable things that I've said.

I'm afraid it's you has come up with nothing to show that the Islanders are a destination any coach would be go to.

You are going to have to up your game if this is what you have. Being the Leafs fan that you are. Do you think Babock would be interested in an expansion team when he left Detroit or the Leafs? Or is this just selective thinking on your part since it is the Isles we are talking about here.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Yea upgrading from Doug Weight and Garth friggin Snow to Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz would be quite an improvement. Extend JT and the Isles might finally get back on track.

To a first round playoff exit. That roster is never going to win anything. Lou is highly overrated, his time in Toronto was not impressive at all.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If Isles could afford Trotz so would the Caps, my guess is he takes his time and waits for next frustrated owner of bigger market team to fire the current coach and write 25M check for Trotz
Islanders can write the 25 million dollar check.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Good to see the "The Islanders aren't a real NHL team/organization" narative is still alive and well here despite all recent evidence that shows it's no longer true.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
You are going to have to up your game if this is what you have. Being the Leafs fan that you are. Do you think Babock would be interested in an expansion team when he left Detroit or the Leafs? Or is this just selective thinking on your part since it is the Isles we are talking about here.

If Babcock had to choose between Seattle and the Islanders? I think he, or any coach, would prefer Seattle.

You still haven't told me why the Islanders are a sought after destination. Why exactly? They've been dismal for years, even with a superstar. Their defence is awful. They've got a GM who likely took the job for the nepotistic opportunity it'll give his son. BTW, this HOF GM didn't really do a great job at his last team either and made some bad, bad decisions during his last couple of years in NJ.

I think that you keep point to Lamoriello as a positive just to troll leafs fans. He's aged badly.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Why would he choose the Islanders over Seattle?

I don't know..... an actual NHL team? Top notch facilities that are already built? Two franchise centers to build around? The ability to get right back to work without waiting two (or more) years? Being able to live on Long Island, less than 40 miles from the biggest Metro center on earth.... which is also a about a 40 minute drive from two other NHL teams, NHL HQ and the NHL Network if he ever got fired from the Islanders so he would retain plenty of options without having to move his family again?

A goaltender (two of the best prospects at the position in the world coming up through the system) and a middle pairing D and they are right back in the playoffs. No guarantee Seattle gets the same breaks in the expansion draft Vegas did.

Reactions: sabremike

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
To a first round playoff exit. That roster is never going to win anything. Lou is highly overrated, his time in Toronto was not impressive at all.
Oh I agree that Lou is overrated. However, he’s a hell of a lot better than Garth Snow.

Reactions: Koized

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's all about money folks. Who can offer the most, and if all things are equal he will look at which team is the most promising to build with. Babcock took the most money, it's no different here. Like it or not, Trotz's Cup win has put him in select company. It's up to Ledecky and Malkin to decide if a coach is worth 5 x 5. These guys want to win, they have turned over the org to Lamoriello. We will see if they back this up with the brinks truck to get Trotz. The one thing that is forgotten, is it was reported Lamoriello would like to name a coach by this week. One wonders if Trotz's resignation put a wrench into the plan, and the coach he may was going to hire is now in limbo. Or he may just name him tomorrow if Trotz takes too much time to decide, or if indeed Trotz is the man by preferably the draft. Guess we will find out in the next 48 hours.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If Trotz were the Isles coach this year not only do they make the playoffs easy, there's an excellent chance they would've won a round. I don't think people realize just how terrible Weight was, he was a historically bad head coach who obliterated his team.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Why would he choose the Islanders over Seattle?

I don't know..... an actual NHL team? Top notch facilities that are already built? Two franchise centers to build around? The ability to get right back to work without waiting two (or more) years? Being able to live on Long Island, less than 40 miles from the biggest Metro center on earth.... which is also a about a 40 minute drive from two other NHL teams, NHL HQ and the NHL Network if he ever got fired from the Islanders so he would retain plenty of options without having to move his family again?

A goaltender (two of the best prospects at the position in the world coming up through the system) and a middle pairing D and they are right back in the playoffs. No guarantee Seattle gets the same breaks in the expansion draft Vegas did.

Top notch facilities that are already built? What does them being built or not being built yet have anything to do with Trotz. Yes, they'll be built and they'll probably be some of the best in the NHL.

Two franchise centers to build around Maybe wait more than a year before declaring your guy a franchise centre. You should also probably wait until your other franchise centre re-signs.

Being able to live on Long Island, less than 40 miles from the biggest Metro center on earth Does it annoy you when leafs fans tell you that JT will come to Toronto because it's his home? This is kind of on that level, except it makes even less sense.

No guarantee Seattle gets the same breaks in the expansion draft Vegas did. Seattle gets the same expansion draft rules, and the just as many teams will be in trouble. It's doesn't have to be a success on the level of Vegas to still be a resounding success.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Maybe wait more than a year before declaring your guy a franchise centre. You should also probably wait until your other franchise centre re-signs.

Don't delude yourself into thinking he's signing in Toronto. He's told your city to screw off more times than I can remember.

Does it annoy you when leafs fans tell you that JT will come to Toronto because it's his home? This is kind of on that level, except it makes even less sense.

It makes perfect sense. If the man doesn't want to move his family around, where else offers him this many opportunities? If for whatever reason the Islanders fire him, he's got two other NHL teams, NHL HQ and the NHL network (AND ESPN) all within driving distance so he wouldn't have to move. That was my point.

Seattle gets the same expansion draft rules, and the just as many teams will be in trouble. It's doesn't have to be a success on the level of Vegas to still be a resounding success.

They will have a thinned out crop to pick from because of more teams, plus GMs will have a better handle on how to run it. There is little chance they have the same result and you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad