GDT: Lame Day Bread: Vancouver @ Anaheim 7:30 PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
That shift reminded me of someone but I can’t quite put my finger on who. He was an absolute beast there.
My first thought was when Sekera absolutely clowned Maroon in a similar fashion and scored. It was a regular season game a few years back, can't find a clip.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I’m a bad tank fan because it only took one bad win where we still got outplayed and I still glanced at the WC standings after it

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Fowler, for whatever reason, maybe his usual struggles with confidence, seems to be more screwed in the head by this disaster season than most others. I think he'll bounce back, but right now he's looking like a guy that could use a change of scenery. I'm not in the camp anxious to run him out of here, though I totally get the concerns. He's been under a lot of pressure here from day one, and I don't think it's done him any favors, he might feel the weight of this mess more than some others. That contract just creates even more pressure and maybe that's adding to things, idk. But outside of the twins, he and Cogs are really the only two that have been here for the majority of Murray's tenure through the ups and downs and disappointments. I mention Cogs because he fell a little flat as well, and wasn't playing his usual smart, effective game under Carlyle, and after being traded said, "I think I could have used the change, to be honest." Again, it wouldn't surprise me if Cam is in a similar state of mind.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Kase has shifts like that every once in a while.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Fowler, for whatever reason, maybe his usual struggles with confidence, seems to be more screwed in the head by this disaster season than most others. I think he'll bounce back, but right now he's looking like a guy that could use a change of scenery. I'm not in the camp anxious to run him out of here, though I totally get the concerns. He's been under a lot of pressure here from day one, and I don't think it's done him any favors, he might feel the weight of this mess more than some others. That contract just creates even more pressure and maybe that's adding to things, idk. But outside of the twins, he and Cogs are really the only two that have been here for the majority of Murray's tenure through the ups and downs and disappointments. I mention Cogs because he fell a little flat as well, and wasn't playing his usual smart, effective game under Carlyle, and after being traded said, "I think I could have used the change, to be honest." Again, it wouldn't surprise me if Cam is in a similar state of mind.

If Cam can not handle the pressure at Anaheim he will have troubles in a harder market. If it's a confidence issue I wonder if this is related to the locker room.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
If Cam can not handle the pressure at Anaheim he will have troubles in a harder market. If it's a confidence issue I wonder if this is related to the locker room.
Maybe, but I guess it would depend on the situation he walks into. Being acquired by another team will come with new expectations/pressures, but maybe the way he started here as the go-to guy on our defense out of the draft added a higher sense of responsibility for the overall outcome than he would have on a new team. If he went to a team with a clear #1 it might help him settle in to a more comfortable role. That's a bit of coddling though, which I understand might leave a bad taste for some.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Dude is a pro athlete with several years under his belt. I get the concerns, but he needs to find a way to get it together. Maybe a sports shrink would help?

Reactions: AngelDuck

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
After watching the highlights (and before reading any comments), I came here to say Fowler looked awful and MDZ + Fowler should never happen again. They were on the ice for pretty much every Vancouver highlight.

I'd easily be ready to move him if the right deal came along. Really any reasonable offer of picks or young prospects. Maybe the draft is more realistic given his contract.

As much as I like the win, we didn't look significantly better and are still getting badly outplayed and outshot. Vancouver is no dominant team and we were badly outplayed.

It's time to tank.

Shutdown kesler (although that may not help with the tank), trade Fowler and Silf, and the rest of the vets. Let the kids play and pray for a top 3 pick.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
First of all, what a first career start for Boyle! Guy was excellent and I just loved his reaction after the final horn. In a way I hope to see more of him this season to see if he could potentially take the backup role next season already, but on the other hand it would be nice to see how far San Diego could go this season with their full roster. The sad part about all of this is that once again it seemed like the Ducks do need their goaltender to pretty much rob the game to be able to win.

Lindholm was heavily praised by Hayward all game and rightfully so, he was really taking over that front of the net. Also seemed pretty obvious that in the beginning of the game the veteran core group seemed to come out with something to prove with both Kesler and Getzlaf dropping the gloves. Now I don't mind Kesler doing it at this point, although I do fear for his hip if he fall awkwardly on it or anything during the fight. Getzlaf on the other hand really doesn't need to engage with scrubs like Gudbranson. What a bad trade. Also Perry and Silfverberg took part in scrums, with especially Silfverberg being the first one to engage Gudbranson on that play where he crosschecked someone, can't remember who anymore, after he was tripped. Really seemed like they wanted to show their compete and leadership.

Despite all of that the second period was a ****show. Chasing the game in the d-zone, always a bit late, losing 1 on 1 battles and then getting gassed after a long shift. There's just something very wrong with this team when it comes to passing and receiving a pass, breaking out of their own zone and especially in trying to enter the zone. Some of those power plays were just embarrassing. Again.

I get the criticism on Fowler, but often it also just seems like he's flying through the neutral ice, closing in on the opponents blue line only to find out that he's all alone. Either line mates are changing or just too damn slow to follow. It doesn't help that he seems often clueless what to do with the puck once he's gained the zone or just about to.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If we choose to tank, we will just become like Edmonton. Hughes will save the team! Nope, didn't work. High draft pick 2020 will save the team! Nope, didn't work. No thanks! We already have a bunch of promising prospects in Gulls.
It's a huge fallacy that tanking a season makes you into Edmonton of the last decade.

Just like it's a huge fallacy that tanking a couple years will make you into Pittsburgh or Chicago.

The truth probably lies somewhere in between.
Of The promising prospects on the Gulls you are referring to(I like most of their chances to be good players), none of them project to be a 1st line center.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Maybe, but I guess it would depend on the situation he walks into. Being acquired by another team will come with new expectations/pressures, but maybe the way he started here as the go-to guy on our defense out of the draft added a higher sense of responsibility for the overall outcome than he would have on a new team. If he went to a team with a clear #1 it might help him settle in to a more comfortable role. That's a bit of coddling though, which I understand might leave a bad taste for some.
That makes sense, when Lindholm came in Fowler was already there & he looked relaxed at being the 'other young D' and was able to just play his game without as much pressure on him to be the go to guy on defense.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
It's a huge fallacy that tanking a season makes you into Edmonton of the last decade.

Just like it's a huge fallacy that tanking a couple years will make you into Pittsburgh or Chicago.

The truth probably lies somewhere in between.
Of The promising prospects on the Gulls you are referring to(I like most of their chances to be good players), none of them project to be a 1st line center.
Yep getting Getzlaf's future replacement in the draft is very big for the Franchise going forward.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
After watching the highlights (and before reading any comments), I came here to say Fowler looked awful and MDZ + Fowler should never happen again. They were on the ice for pretty much every Vancouver highlight.

I'd easily be ready to move him if the right deal came along. Really any reasonable offer of picks or young prospects. Maybe the draft is more realistic given his contract.

As much as I like the win, we didn't look significantly better and are still getting badly outplayed and outshot. Vancouver is no dominant team and we were badly outplayed.

It's time to tank.

Shutdown kesler (although that may not help with the tank), trade Fowler and Silf, and the rest of the vets. Let the kids play and pray for a top 3 pick.
They could go for a package including a future 2020 1st from a team thats most likely to regress next season such as the Habs or Blues where it turns into a 2020 lottery pick. Imagine if they had traded Vatanen for NJs 2019 1st + prospect for Vatanen, they'd be looking at two top 5 picks.

Ducks have done this kind of move before when they acquired Ottawa's 2014 1st in the Ryan trade & it ended up being the 10th overall pick. Ottawa didn't learn its lesson as it traded its 2019 1st to Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad