U20: Lake Placid Tournament, August 1st - 8th

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
I caved and bought the Fasthockey 1 month subscription. Anyone else watching?

Same continuin the tradition...

LOl Laine goal from first shift. Puljujääri Saarela Laine continuing to be redhot

Finland 1 USA WHite 0

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Sonny Milano 1-1

No update on video quality and no replays either.. and the score tab on top covering half screen

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Sort of a sloppy first period as you'd expect. The three US centers are being cycled amongst all four wing combos so lots of line juggling.

I liked what Boeser was doing out there. Keeps things simple but was making smart plays. Milano had a few flashes as well including showing off his great hands on the goal. Eansor looks like a hard working energy type and scored his goal right in front of the net. I haven't seen much of Garland in the past but he really doesn't have the best acceleration for a guy his size. Interesting that he piles up the points in the Q despite that.

Not a lot of stand outs so far otherwise up front. Hope to see Larkin and Matthews pick it up a notch going forward. As usual, Schmaltz also needs to wake up.

The defense wasn't tested that much, though Rantanen undressed McAvoy in the slot and Opilka had to make a great save. Krys is getting a lot of time on the back end and creating some offense here and there. Werenski saw a lot of time on the right side and looked comfortable there. Macleod might be too slow to keep himself in play going forward.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Schmaltz tapped in a rebound from Krys' shot on the pp.

Walman had some questionable moments in his own zone that period but he seems to be the most willing shooter on the blue line, by far. Even when the USA Blue lineup is considered there aren't really many trigger men on the back end so perhaps that could be an asset that works in his favor.

Tkachuk has been extremely quiet in this game. The juggling of centers probably isn't helping anyone here but most of the wingers have had at least a moment or two where they were doing some positive stuff out there.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Wow. Milano scores a beauty of a SHG.

Yeah it was a nice one. The Finnish defender misplayed the pass from Kahkonen and Milano took the puck at the offensive blue line and cut through four Finnish players before wristing it past Kahkonen. He later had the chance for a hat trick in the empty net but passed it off to Larkin. Good day for Milano.

I definitely got a better sense for Garland's game as he has an exceptional stick and was really creating space for himself with it. I still don't know if he has the wheels for international play but he showed some nice creativity out there.

Belpedio played a lot on the left side today and I thought he was solid and showed a good bit of versatility. Same for Werenski. Macleod barely played so I wonder if he's dealing with an injury or something.

Overall this one very much had an exhibition level of intensity and structure so it's hard to take a lot away from it. I expect the level of play to pick up for all teams involved as the week progresses.

dangler71

Jul 11, 2007
Potsdam, NY
Hey guys I'm up in lake placid for the day. Thought I'd make some comments on the first game. Happy to answer questions but I mainly keyed in on the USA forwards so that's who I'll be able to give the most in depth analysis about. Comment:

- USA's three best forwards today to me were Milano, Matthews, Larkin in that order
- also thought Roslovic played very effective and involved
- loved the way Hitchcock attached the net out of the corners, did this several times
- Eansor played with a lot of hustle and showed a real strong work ethic. Liked him a lot
- would have liked to see more from Boeser, Schmaltz, Tkachuk
- Garland made a few nice plays but was overall fairly underwhelming. Struggled at times with the finish D
- standout defenseman for the U.S. was Werenski
- krys and carlo's penalties were both pretty bad. Carlo's a very controllable delay of game where he wound up and took a slapshot with all kinds of time from his own end into the far netting on the pk. Krys penalty came off the rush with the Americans on a 5 x 3 pp. not a good penalty to take
- Walman got toasted pretty bad by puljujärvi that led to a nice Finnish scoring chance
- Rantanen looked solid for the fins
- puljujärvi as mentioned showed nice speed producing a scoring opportunity but got off a poor shot. Sprung on the play off a nice pass by Laine

All I can think of right now, hoping the second game is just as entertaining as the first was!

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
If someone who saw game can tell Finnish players in this game, most how you see Laine and Puljujärvi?

Also, is there chance to see this game somewhere after game?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Yeah Garland definitely plays a weird game, tiny but doesn't have blazing wheels but loaded with skill. Basically a poor mans Johnny Gaudreau, play a very similar game, Garland just doesn't have the wow factor, skating skill, or IQ JG does. Underwhelmed by Puljujarvi and Laine to be honest. Top player in the game in my eyes was Matthews. Milano was a close 2nd. Liked Roslovic and Hitchcock. Tkachuk invisible. Werenski best D in game

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Hey guys I'm up in lake placid for the day. Thought I'd make some comments on the first game. Happy to answer questions but I mainly keyed in on the USA forwards so that's who I'll be able to give the most in depth analysis about. Comment:

- USA's three best forwards today to me were Milano, Matthews, Larkin in that order
- also thought Roslovic played very effective and involved
- loved the way Hitchcock attached the net out of the corners, did this several times
- Eansor played with a lot of hustle and showed a real strong work ethic. Liked him a lot
- would have liked to see more from Boeser, Schmaltz, Tkachuk
- Garland made a few nice plays but was overall fairly underwhelming. Struggled at times with the finish D
- standout defenseman for the U.S. was Werenski
- krys and carlo's penalties were both pretty bad. Carlo's a very controllable delay of game where he wound up and took a slapshot with all kinds of time from his own end into the far netting on the pk. Krys penalty came off the rush with the Americans on a 5 x 3 pp. not a good penalty to take
- Walman got toasted pretty bad by puljujärvi that led to a nice Finnish scoring chance
- Rantanen looked solid for the fins
- puljujärvi as mentioned showed nice speed producing a scoring opportunity but got off a poor shot. Sprung on the play off a nice pass by Laine

All I can think of right now, hoping the second game is just as entertaining as the first was!

Could you keep an idea on Larsson (Swedish D)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad