Lake Erie Monsters/Kalamazoo Wings Thread V (All Affiliate talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So if Forsberg continues to play in the ballpark of how he has in the Calder Cup Finals, does anyone start to rethink how they perceive the backup goalie situation last year?

Forsberg hasn't shown much at the NHL level in opportunities but Korpisalo's couple of game stretch in the Grand Rapids series that led to him getting replaced might be enough to add some doubt that he is really that ready to assume regular NHL duty too. If Korpisalo isn't the guy they ride through the rest of the playoffs, how can you hand him a backup NHL job to start next season. If anything, Forsberg has certainly brought his name back into consideration for another chance depending on how they both do over the summer.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So if Forsberg continues to play in the ballpark of how he has in the Calder Cup Finals, does anyone start to rethink how they perceive the backup goalie situation last year?

Forsberg hasn't shown much at the NHL level in opportunities but Korpisalo's couple of game stretch in the Grand Rapids series that led to him getting replaced might be enough to add some doubt that he is really that ready to assume regular NHL duty too. If Korpisalo isn't the guy they ride through the rest of the playoffs, how can you hand him a backup NHL job to start next season. If anything, Forsberg has certainly brought his name back into consideration for another chance depending on how they both do over the summer.

I'm more encouraged by the Forsberg situation than discouraged by a couple bad games for Korpisalo. There's always uncertainty with goalies. That's why it's so good we have a few of them who can do it. Sure, Korpi might stink it up next year. That's also true for C-Mac (or Bob).

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

How they play in training camp next year will determine who the backup goaltender will be (if we don't have someone else already).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I always have felt we crowned Korpisalo the backup already on these boards as jumping the gun. He had a pretty good year here, but I think the backup job should be a 3 way battle between he, Forsberg, and McElhinney. Best goalie wins. There's no reason to over work Bob anymore.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Hopefully we ditch mcbackup and have it be between our championship contenders. One of them deserve it.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm more encouraged by the Forsberg situation than discouraged by a couple bad games for Korpisalo. There's always uncertainty with goalies. That's why it's so good we have a few of them who can do it. Sure, Korpi might stink it up next year. That's also true for C-Mac (or Bob).

For what it's worth, the numbers in the AHL for both of them were pretty identical although Forsberg played twice as many games because Korpisalo spent much more time up here. Throw in Thiessen's numbers for comparison and he was better than both of them.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay...ament_id=0&leagueId=4&division_id=-1&confId=0

On top of all of this they have less than 3 days left to sign Merzlikins if they want to keep him.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

This simply reinforces why you don't annoint a replacement after a short stretch of good play. Both still need to grow and become consistent.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
For what it's worth, the numbers in the AHL for both of them were pretty identical although Forsberg played twice as many games because Korpisalo spent much more time up here. Throw in Thiessen's numbers for comparison and he was better than both of them.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay...ament_id=0&leagueId=4&division_id=-1&confId=0

On top of all of this they have less than 3 days left to sign Merzlikins if they want to keep him.

I believe they have 2 more years to sign Elvis. I'm thinking Euros still get 4 years to be signed. I don't have CBA access easily from my phone.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I believe they have 2 more years to sign Elvis. I'm thinking Euros still get 4 years to be signed. I don't have CBA access easily from my phone.

Everything I've read indicates he must be signed due to the age at which he was drafted. I can't say for sure but I've seen his name on a few lists floating around of players whose rights expire on June 1.

Regardless, I was certainly impressed with the way Korpisalo played this year but I'm certainly not ready to give up on Forsberg either. He has come a long way from his original draft position and I don't forget that was an AHL All Star last season even though he got called up and missed the game due to yet another Bobrovsky injury.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Everything I've read indicates he must be signed due to the age at which he was drafted. I can't say for sure but I've seen his name on a few lists floating around of players whose rights expire on June 1.

I think you are right. He was 20 when drafted. That gives a 2 year window for the team to sign him.

Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if a Player drafted at age 20 or older is drafted from a club outside North America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio

I don't think Anton was ever really out of contention. He has just shown that he needs more time to season in the A. There is the possibility that at some point he could be better then Korpi. As has been pointed out, development time can vary widely.

I wonder if the only thing wrong with Korpi is that some fatigue set in.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This simply reinforces why you don't annoint a replacement after a short stretch of good play. Both still need to grow and become consistent.

If you mean replacement for Bob, that is absolutely correct. But a few bad games from Korpi in no way implies he would be worse than C-Mac.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Hopefully we ditch mcbackup and have it be between our championship contenders. One of them deserve it.
A while ago, Portzline had an interesting idea. Also the question was regarding just Korpisalo but I will put Korpisalo and Forsberg together as it will still be the same.

Number 1 = Bob
Backup = CMAC

AHL = Korpisalo/Forsberg to have them play games and continue to develop. Rather then them sitting on a bench and doing nothing.

But if Bob got injured long term.

Number 1 = Korpisalo/Forsberg
Backup = CMAC

So no matter what, CMAC will always be the backup. Unless Korpisalo/Forsberg struggle and CMAC plays better.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Do we know when the first game is yet? The NBA finals are set now with Cleveland getting games 3,4, and 6 if needed but they will have the stadium filled at road games I just remembered while typing this haha. So we should be able to start soon hopfully.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Do we know when the first game is yet? The NBA finals are set now with Cleveland getting games 3,4, and 6 if needed but they will have the stadium filled at road games I just remembered while typing this haha. So we should be able to start soon hopfully.

Washington/Hershey have home games Wednesday and Friday so i would bet first home game for you all is this weekend

Mar 1, 2002
as of this morning

Game 1 – Wed., June 1 – Lake Erie at Hershey, 7:00
Game 2 – Fri., June 3 – Lake Erie at Hershey, 7:00
Game 3 – TBD – Hershey at Lake Erie
Game 4 – TBD – Hershey at Lake Erie
*Game 5 – TBD – Hershey at Lake Erie
*Game 6 – Tue., June 14 – Lake Erie at Hershey, 7:00
*Game 7 – Fri., June 17 – Lake Erie at Hershey, 7:00

...going to guess the 6th, 9th and 11th

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I'm pretty sure the Monsters are 8-0 when I'm in attendance this year.

Let's go for 9-0!

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Interesting note in the PD, this morning: the two winningest cities in AHL history - Hershey (11 titles) and Cleveland (9 as Barons) - are meeting in the league's 80th year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->