Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] Kings sign Quinton Byfield to ELC (3 years, $925k AAV)

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Seemed like he kind of had tunnel vision at the world juniors, too much of a one man show. It's a short tourney and he was young so I'll be interested to see if that was or wasn't an accurate representation of what kind of player he is.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I like how the surroundings in the photo are very different from the sparse modern team headquarters that most players are signed at. It looks like, instead of flying him out to LA, the organization flew a few representatives up to Ontario to have Quinton sign in his grandmother's dining room.

Byfield-Contract.jpg

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I like how the surroundings in the photo are very different from the sparse modern team headquarters that most players are signed at. It looks like, instead of flying him out to LA, the organization flew a few representatives up to Ontario to have Quinton sign in his grandmother's dining room.

Byfield-Contract.jpg

Uh can we talk about the old school hat there?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Byfield-Contract.jpg

1) He looks happy to sign...very good thing to see from someone we invested so much already to draft. Feeling good already. Everyone knows I sang Stutzle's praises when the choice was up in the air (got hooked on watching his video feed like Draft Dynasty did) but I bleed Kings so I only have the best hopes for him. He may have to go all the way around the Monopoly board starting from Go but he could wind up owning both Park Place and Boardwalk.
Will be interesting to see him in person when he resides in LA. I'm 6'2" so most of the Kings players are about equal size...he'll dwarf me like he plays on the Lakers.
Side note: I'm waiting on Upper Deck to let us Americans be able to order/purchase the CHL hockey card set...I want to pick up at least a couple of cases. It has tons of Kings and Byfield will be the best King card/s to get.
2) That table cloth looks like a couple of Mayan calendars...you sure this photo isn't somewhere deep in the southwest? :D

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Cant wait to see this kid play. Isn't he like 9 months younger than Laf? I wonder how much he will close the gap by the end of the year.
What are the chances he plays for LA this year?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's a new era lid, it can't be that old.

I'm sure that he means the one on the table. It's obviously used, so I imagine that it was being worn by one of the team representatives when they arrived at the house. Perhaps Quinton noticed it and suggested having it in the shot because he recognized that he was signing to be part of an organization with history behind it, not just ahead of it.

Edit: I just realized that you probably meant New Era, as in the sporting brand. I think that I do see their logo on the side there. Even if it's a newer reproduction, though, the sentiment behind is probably the same.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

Call your shot. Over under on him being the best black player ever. Jarome Iginla has to be the place holder unless I'm completely ignorant and forgetting someone. For me he has the tool set to do it but I give it about a 10% chance which is amazing odds regardless. Don't like bringing race into any conversation but I think it's an interesting topic to discuss.
Unfortunately for Quinton that is a very high ceiling to reach. I can see Byfield potentially having a ceiling of Malkin but even then I don't know if I would say Malkin is better than Iginla. Malkin will certainly make the HoF but the only advantage I would say he has over Iggy is actually getting a cup ring.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Cant wait to see this kid play. Isn't he like 9 months younger than Laf? I wonder how much he will close the gap by the end of the year.
What are the chances he plays for LA this year?

Lafreniere is over 10 months older than Byfield.

Lafreniere: October 11, 2001
Byfield: August 19, 2002

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Unfortunately for Quinton that is a very high ceiling to reach. I can see Byfield potentially having a ceiling of Malkin but even then I don't know if I would say Malkin is better than Iginla. Malkin will certainly make the HoF but the only advantage I would say he has over Iggy is actually getting a cup ring.

And being a much better player

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He will be with the Kings of the OHL does not allow contact.

I'm not sure I understand that sentence. If you mean that he will play with the Kings because the OHL doesn't allow for contracted players to play there, that would be false AFAIK.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Call your shot. Over under on him being the best black player ever. Jarome Iginla has to be the place holder unless I'm completely ignorant and forgetting someone. For me he has the tool set to do it but I give it about a 10% chance which is amazing odds regardless. Don't like bringing race into any conversation but I think it's an interesting topic to discuss.

Highly unlikely he is as good as Iginla. But I'd say the best black player of all time is Fuhr.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I'm not sure I understand that sentence. If you mean that he will play with the Kings because the OHL doesn't allow for contracted players to play there, that would be false AFAIK.

No, it’s been reported that the OHL may not allow physical contact or hitting because of Covid. I don’t think that’s good for anyone’s development. I’d prefer to see Byfield in the NHL with their trainers getting stronger and learning to be a pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->