Prospect Info: LAK Draft (2nd, 2020) C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islcey

Jun 18, 2018
I'm so hyped about this! We just landed a cornerstone and already have the pieces in place to build around elite talent. Byfield is exactly the tpe of player that helps the Kings long-term plans the most.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
And that's a good reason to throw away a year on his ELC playing for a non-playoff team? Don't think so.

The 8 year extension he signs after the ELC will likely have a lower AAV if he signs it a year earlier. Don't much care about the ELC, if playing in the NHL is good for his growth, play him in the NHL.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Dillman and Hoven had much more significant connections to the Kings than four random NHL GM's, if we even believe that this guy has four GM's on speed dial.

I would seriously feel bad for Ottawa if their fans weren't such Richards on our board since the draft lottery.
We've been there with bankrupt and inept owners and known the suck and I would normally sympathize, but I seriously hope that while fanbase gets severe constipation for like a month

I'd much rather they shit their pants for a whole month.

Reactions: Lt Dan
Kings' Twitter stating that he stating to media that he has never been to California before where is the first place he should go in LA?

Lots of replies saying In N Out, obviously. I was hoping to go there a few days back and I found out that the nearest location by my house closed. Anywho, my answer would actually be The Wiltern Theater once concerts can run safely again. Beautiful theater. I've been there for 6 concerts there and have always a great experience at the venue more than any other concert venues in LA.

He should get a breakfast burrito. Then the rest his day would be great.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Dillman and Hoven had much more significant connections to the Kings than four random NHL GM's, if we even believe that this guy has four GM's on speed dial.
Quite. Besides the last people LA are going to share who they are picking with is other GM’s...

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Good interview with Byfield. The media seemed over focused on the race aspect, but he did well by not getting drawn into it. He clearly recognises he will be a role model but knew it wasn’t the time to start making any big statements. He seems smart and switched on, which is good. The interview with Blake also showed that the Kings are aware he wants to be a role model beyond hockey and are fully behind all that. Maturity beyond his years.

The bits I took from a hockey standpoint were:

He’s currently 6’ 4 3/4” tall and 222 lbs. He’s stated that there’s been no negative impact on his speed with the weight gain which is good, particularly as he knows it is something to watch.

He stated that he never worked/played in his on zone prior to playing in the OHL and that it is something he has only worked on since joining Sudbury. That’s something that really excites me as it’s tremendous growth because he is now very capable in his own zone. Whilst he still needs to work on it, that level of growth removes any doubts for me as it shows he will work hard and is very coachable.

He is going to be a very special player.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
He stated that he never worked/played in his on zone prior to playing in the OHL and that it is something he has only worked on since joining Sudbury. That’s something that really excites me as it’s tremendous growth because he is now very capable in his own zone.

Who better to mentor him than Kopi?

Just a win/win for him and the organization.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Not gon lie the potential is very exciting for sure and difficult to turn down someone with his size speed and skill but I fear his size was what allowed him to dominate his peers and Stutzle man he was a magician with the puck and what we needed . We have Turcotte , Vilardi , Kopitar and millions other centers . Maybe one gets traded now idk but I fear he has the biggest potential to bust . Hope I’m wrong .

P.S - Someone with his size among all his peers should have put up better numbers . Stutzle is a wiz , idk

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Not gon lie the potential is very exciting for sure and difficult to turn down someone with his size speed and skill but I fear his size was what allowed him to dominate his peers and Stutzle man he was a magician with the puck and what we needed . We have Turcotte , Vilardi , Kopitar and millions other centers . Maybe one gets traded now idk but I fear he has the biggest potential to bust . Hope I’m wrong .

P.S - Someone with his size among all his peers should have put up better numbers . Stutzle is a wiz , idk

Byfield is also a magician with the puck, his playmaking is right up there with Stutzle

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I understand your concern but I’m not worried. He’s only recently started using his size effectively and still has plenty of growth there as its something he only started to do this past season and made further big strides post WJC. His dominance has very much been driven by his skill set and playmaking ability which is massively understated. If Sudbury had a stronger team his assist numbers would have been much higher. He’s done exceptionally well being ‘the guy‘ and at times carried that team on his back. As has been mentioned elsewhere without him they were 1-7 last year, that’s the difference he makes.

I’ve been watching more tape this morning of Stützle (he’s fun to watch) and it struck me just how poor the opposition is defensively in the highlight reels. Players are not putting back pressure on the puck, picking up their men, give up the blue line for too easily, turn the wrong way etc. That includes the defensive coverage for his linemates, so it’s not all created by Stützle. I’m not saying Stützle won’t be a great player but there are just as many risks there, if not more, with how his game may translate.

I think both will make it, but Byfield definitely has the higher ceiling.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

Dillman had us picking Stuzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad