Confirmed Trade: [LAK/CHI] Rights to Dominik Kubalik for a 2019 5th

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Nothing groundbreaking here, but the NHLe stat compares pretty favorably. If he kept up his current rate that he's put up in the NLA and the Czech leagues the last few years, he'd be in the high 30s or low 40s points-wise.

HF's 2016 analysis:

Talent Analysis

Kubalik was a highly-regarded CHL draft pick but had mixed success in two seasons in the OHL before returning to the Czech Republic. He is a tall player who can skate well and move the puck but lacks the bulk to ward off opposing checkers. Kubalik brings a little bit of nasty to his game and isn’t afraid to throw the body around and mix it up. He shows flashes of potential but has not yet shown consistency from shift to shift.
Future

Kubalik was one of the top forwards in the Czech Extraliga in 2015-16 but reports are that the Kings have little interest in signing him to a contract. Los Angeles holds his NHL rights until June 2017 but could trade them to a team willing to offer him an opportunity. Kubalik has some offensive upside but until an NHL team is willing to offer him an NHL-only deal he is likely to remain in Europe for the foreseeable future.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Nothing groundbreaking here, but the NHLe stat compares pretty favorably. If he kept up his current rate that he's put up in the NLA and the Czech leagues the last few years, he'd be in the high 30s or low 40s points-wise.

HF's 2016 analysis:
Interesting.

He's played with Kampf and Kahun before so that's probably why the Hawks were interested.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Interesting.

He's played with Kampf and Kahun before so that's probably why the Hawks were interested.

In the videos I've seen on YouTube, he looks like a smart player in terms of positioning. Maybe some playmaking potential there. Great shot, indeed. Could use some work defensively.

I've seen some comment on his skating, saying that he's quite fast, but his skating looked a little choppy to me. That could be less of a liability on the smaller ice.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
In the videos I've seen on YouTube, he looks like a smart player in terms of positioning. Maybe some playmaking potential there. Great shot, indeed. Could use some work defensively.

I've seen some comment on his skating, saying that he's quite fast, but his skating looked a little choppy to me. That could be less of a liability on the smaller ice.

Looks like a damn good shooter in that video

Reactions: andys

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The Kings have had a tough time trying to convince him to sign, but perhaps the Hawks will have better luck by offering more money. Sort of like the Habs and their highly successful signing of one Bud Holloway.

It's interesting since the CBA limits what you could offer. Since this would still be Kubalik's first deal and he'd be 24 next season, it has to be 1 year, 2 way deal. Perhaps part of it is that the Kings couldn't make any assurances that he wouldn't have to start in Ontario.

It might not necessarily be a money thing in terms of guarantees since you could only offer him 925K max plus bonuses, but rather the likelihood of him cracking an NHL roster right away. That would be the difference between 925K for playing in the NHL versus 75K for playing in the AHL.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I'm just curious how he fits into Chicago's plan.
Maybe he is the first of many pieces for Stan to get into place , before he trades out , kunitz, hayden, Kruger and the possible big trade with Edmonton

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I'm just curious how he fits into Chicago's plan.
Maybe he is the first of many pieces for Stan to get into place , before he trades out , kunitz, hayden, Kruger and the possible big trade with Edmonton
are you asking how he fit into this season or is it next season ??

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
23 years old, 6’2, NLA scoring rate translates to 0.51 PPG in the NHL.

Very good add for a 5th round pick.
I've seen you posting a ton of your projections for European players coming over. Is this a system you developed or is it one you've found on the Internet that tends to be accurate?

Either way, I find it very interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad