Salary Cap: Laine's contract in 19/20

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not at all underminding Stamkos' sophomore season but I think at the same time you are seriously excelling where I'm failing that comes to Laine. So far the kid has lead his team in the playoff trophy while being under age, won WJC gold, broke Jagr's decades old record in the WHC, been awarded the best player trophies in both FEL and WHC even before landing into NHL. Such are the records which end the pre-NHL era. Since coming to the Jets the Patrik has finished his first season being top 5 in GPG (accomplishment no other 18 year old has achieved in the history of the league), followed by possibly wrapping up the sophomore season while scoring the most goals in the league since entering it, with an option of winning Rocket Richard's trophy. If he does in fact win that trophy then he absolutely will be regarded of having on par or even better first two years that Stamkos. Lets not forget that Stamkos, while all worthy of his status, timed over 20 minutes a game during the sophomore year. Something Laine could only dream about and in the end, it will be those extra minutes keeping Laine from entering the G + A race. He has not received any handouts while he's more than fulfilled his role by playing in the 2nd or 3rd line and letting other guys get the minutes. Also a detail which will be taken into account when entering negotiation table. The bigger the achievements with lesser expectations will always carry it's own award when breached.

At the end of the day given all the unprecedented achievements unlocked by Laine will cement his first years (from 17 to 19 if not 20) into the history of the game (both international and national). There are youngsters earning insane amounts of dollars without being even remotely close to having achieved equal feats as Laine. He is is a 10+m/y player come 19-20 if he so chooses.

His feats before entering the NHL have no bearing on his contract so shouldn't be brought up.

Patrick Kane is a winger who had similar regular season production to Laine the same stage in development but he also had elite post season production and his equivilint deal today would be $8.9 million. I like Laine but I can't justify paying him more then Kane. He quite frankly hasn't earned more.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'm not at all underminding Stamkos' sophomore season but I think at the same time you are seriously excelling where I'm failing that comes to Laine. So far the kid has lead his team in the playoff trophy while being under age, won WJC gold, broke Jagr's decades old record in the WHC, been awarded the best player trophies in both FEL and WHC even before landing into NHL. Such are the records which end the pre-NHL era. Since coming to the Jets the Patrik has finished his first season being top 5 in GPG (accomplishment no other 18 year old has achieved in the history of the league), followed by possibly wrapping up the sophomore season while scoring the most goals in the league since entering it, with an option of winning Rocket Richard's trophy. If he does in fact win that trophy then he absolutely will be regarded of having on par or even better first two years that Stamkos. Lets not forget that Stamkos, while all worthy of his status, timed over 20 minutes a game during the sophomore year. Something Laine could only dream about and in the end, it will be those extra minutes keeping Laine from entering the G + A race. He has not received any handouts while he's more than fulfilled his role by playing in the 2nd or 3rd line and letting other guys get the minutes. Also a detail which will be taken into account when entering negotiation table. The bigger the achievements with lesser expectations will always carry it's own award when breached.

At the end of the day given all the unprecedented achievements unlocked by Laine will cement his first years (from 17 to 19 if not 20) into the history of the game (both international and national). There are youngsters earning insane amounts of dollars without being even remotely close to having achieved equal feats as Laine. He is is a 10+m/y player come 19-20 if he so chooses.

Laine's record before NHL doesn't really have much weight in his contract negotiations. It's awesome and good mark in his legacy, but Liut won't have any leverage over Chevy with Laine's WJC record. The negotiations will be about his NHL career first and foremost. Anything else will just be a footnote, if that.

As a goal-scorer, Laine can surpass Stamkos first two years. His first was definitely better and his second is looking to be at least close. But still, there's a vast difference in points and that matters, more than any WJC, WHC or Liiga championships/MVP's. Liiga playoff MVP could have been a useful bargaining chip if the Jets would have not made the PO's before new contract is being negotiated. But that's most likely not the case.

And remember, we're not talking about which one was better player, Stamkos or Laine in their first two years. We're talking about contract negotiations and what kind of leverage Liut will have. If for some reason Stamkos is the comparison in their books, Laine will not be up to par in that comparison. Now, I'm not saying Laine hasn't been as good but I'm saying the vast difference in Hart (assuming) voting and point finish in their sophomore season is a lot bigger difference in the negotiating table than you're thinking. Finishing top-5 in points and 1st in goals is several magnitudes better than finishing 1st in goals and 25th in points. Of course there are mountains of context behind everything and Liut will argue the point that Laine did what he did with lower TOI than anyone else.

There is going to be a heavy consensus that Stamkos sophomore season was better than Laine's. And if we're going to measure those two seasons in contract negotiations, Stamkos will come out on top. But Laine has more to show for, especially his rookie season. So what Laine loses in this comparison in his sophomore season, he gains in consistency straight from the beginning of his career. If we lump Stamkos' and Laine's first two seasons together and compare them (assuming Laine keeps his pace) I'd put Laine ahead. Comfortable even. Cause being able to consistently deliver from the very beginning of his career is insanely good.

I don't know if Laine is 10m+ player. He might be, considering Eichel contract and I bet Liut will start from around there. But to be honest, I'd be surprised if Laine and Jets sign a deal north of 10M. But that's something we'll see later on and Laine has time to upgrade his resume still.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Laine's record before NHL doesn't really have much weight in his contract negotiations. It's awesome and good mark in his legacy, but Liut won't have any leverage over Chevy with Laine's WJC record. The negotiations will be about his NHL career first and foremost. Anything else will just be a footnote, if that.

As a goal-scorer, Laine can surpass Stamkos first two years. His first was definitely better and his second is looking to be at least close. But still, there's a vast difference in points and that matters, more than any WJC, WHC or Liiga championships/MVP's. Liiga playoff MVP could have been a useful bargaining chip if the Jets would have not made the PO's before new contract is being negotiated. But that's most likely not the case.

And remember, we're not talking about which one was better player, Stamkos or Laine in their first two years. We're talking about contract negotiations and what kind of leverage Liut will have. If for some reason Stamkos is the comparison in their books, Laine will not be up to par in that comparison. Now, I'm not saying Laine hasn't been as good but I'm saying the vast difference in Hart (assuming) voting and point finish in their sophomore season is a lot bigger difference in the negotiating table than you're thinking. Finishing top-5 in points and 1st in goals is several magnitudes better than finishing 1st in goals and 25th in points. Of course there are mountains of context behind everything and Liut will argue the point that Laine did what he did with lower TOI than anyone else.

There is going to be a heavy consensus that Stamkos sophomore season was better than Laine's. And if we're going to measure those two seasons in contract negotiations, Stamkos will come out on top. But Laine has more to show for, especially his rookie season. So what Laine loses in this comparison in his sophomore season, he gains in consistency straight from the beginning of his career. If we lump Stamkos' and Laine's first two seasons together and compare them (assuming Laine keeps his pace) I'd put Laine ahead. Comfortable even. Cause being able to consistently deliver from the very beginning of his career is insanely good.

I don't know if Laine is 10m+ player. He might be, considering Eichel contract and I bet Liut will start from around there. But to be honest, I'd be surprised if Laine and Jets sign a deal north of 10M. But that's something we'll see later on and Laine has time to upgrade his resume still.

Centers as a rule are paid more then wingers as well which will factor into the negotiations.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Matthews next contract will matter if it’s announced first. I wonder which deal gets done first this summer?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Centers as a rule are paid more then wingers as well which will factor into the negotiations.

Probably.

I find it kind of odd how many here are hoping Laine to get a massive 10+M contract. I mean, I hope he gets recognized for his great play so far, but wouldn't it be better for the team to get him somewhere around 8M? And I honestly believe that's fairly good representation of what he should be getting. Maybe loser to 9M.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
What might be then the sum of contract, it's clear that the price of a single puck in a goal will be enormous pile of bucks.

Regardless of is he scoring 30, 40, 50, or 60... goals/season.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The management has pretty straightforwardly been saying Laine belongs in their future, no? Considering Laine seems to like it in Winnipeg too, I'm sure they will find mutual ground.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Matthews next contract will matter if it’s announced first. I wonder which deal gets done first this summer?
Probably both are published at the same day and there we go again.

To be honest if they both sign at the same time they should agree something about the publishing. Both teams should get all the publicity available.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Will it really? Centers and Wingers seem to be evaluated differently and price tag for 40+30 C is usually different than price tag for 40+30 W? Or am I just imagining?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Will it really? Centers and Wingers seem to be evaluated differently and price tag for 40+30 C is usually different than price tag for 40+30 W? Or am I just imagining?

Yes it will really.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Probably.

I find it kind of odd how many here are hoping Laine to get a massive 10+M contract. I mean, I hope he gets recognized for his great play so far, but wouldn't it be better for the team to get him somewhere around 8M? And I honestly believe that's fairly good representation of what he should be getting. Maybe loser to 9M.
I believe that there are only few Finnish hardcore Laine fans that are hoping 10+M. It might be more of Laine appreciation thing than actual salary. He seems to wake up lot of passion around fans.

This is Little discussion all over again, this time the issue is just more money related.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The management has pretty straightforwardly been saying Laine belongs in their future, no? Considering Laine seems to like it in Winnipeg too, I'm sure they will find mutual ground.

I enjoy the conversation here, but these statements are what provide me with comfort :)

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
His feats before entering the NHL have no bearing on his contract so shouldn't be brought up.

Patrick Kane is a winger who had similar regular season production to Laine the same stage in development but he also had elite post season production and his equivilint deal today would be $8.9 million. I like Laine but I can't justify paying him more then Kane. He quite frankly hasn't earned more.

Well that didn't take long. First Hall, then Stamkos and now Kane. Should I keep the conversation going we would soon probably have Kovalchuk on the list, but obviously this isn't heading anywhere and your imagination is getting the most out of you.

Yeah I never claimed that his international resume would have heavy bearing in the negotiations. However it's absolute gold when the agent is enforcing the idea of what Laine could do in the future. After all he has always basically been ahead of his time as you would not expect a 17 year old to lead professional team to cup trophy. You would not expect undrafted 18 year old being awarded with the best player reward in the WHC. Being able to even raise the bar immediately after and have two (or three) insanely successful seasons behind you in the highest possible league will be they key that opens the chest. He has delivered and market value has already been set. They will likely just wait until Matthews signs and pick it up from there.

As for Laine vs Stamkos, it really in the end comes down to those four extra minutes the latter had as an advantage. 16:33 vs 20:33, the difference is practically ~20% and that is significant. Everyone can make their own calculations how 20% increase in ice time would have affect the ice time of Laine, but my estimation would be Patrik having pretty comfortable lead in the goal race and scoring PPG+. This while not even looking at whether he was optimally utilised or not. While looking at Stamkos' TOI, you'd expect he was kind of "important". Still, no can can really tell what kind of impact it would have had so you will just have to do your best and try add things into right context if you want to compare those seasons.

Anyway, like I said, everything counts when contract is concerned. I don't think Laine even needs to win Rocket to get a huge contract at this point. If he manages to do one of the three things a) beat Gretzky on the teenage goal scorer list b) really wrap the season while being the most scoring forward since entering NHL c) win Rocket Richard, there can be little doubt he's in for a hefty pay-check. If he gets it all then gl persuading agent to accept 8m/y.

I don't care if takes a seven million dollar contract really and to be honest I'm almost hoping he would so they might consider making room for Stastny. I'm merely saying that compared to what other young stars are getting, Laine does belong to that very upper tier and salary expectations should be similar, especially if they want him signed long-term.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well that didn't take long. First Hall, then Stamkos and now Kane. Should I keep the conversation going we would soon probably have Kovalchuk on the list, but obviously this isn't heading anywhere and your imagination is getting the most out of you.

Yeah I never claimed that his international resume would have heavy bearing in the negotiations. However it's absolute gold when the agent is enforcing the idea of what Laine could do in the future. After all he has always basically been ahead of his time as you would not expect a 17 year old to lead professional team to cup trophy. You would not expect undrafted 18 year old being awarded with the best player reward in the WHC. Being able to even raise the bar immediately after and have two (or three) insanely successful seasons behind you in the highest possible league will be they key that opens the chest. He has delivered and market value has already been set. They will likely just wait until Matthews signs and pick it up from there.

As for Laine vs Stamkos, it really in the end comes down to those four extra minutes the latter had as an advantage. 16:33 vs 20:33, the difference is practically ~20% and that is significant. Everyone can make their own calculations how 20% increase in ice time would have affect the ice time of Laine, but my estimation would be Patrik having pretty comfortable lead in the goal race and scoring PPG+. This while not even looking at whether he was optimally utilised or not. While looking at Stamkos' TOI, you'd expect he was kind of "important". Still, no can can really tell what kind of impact it would have had so you will just have to do your best and try add things into right context if you want to compare those seasons.

Anyway, like I said, everything counts when contract is concerned. I don't think Laine even needs to win Rocket to get a huge contract at this point. If he manages to do one of the three things a) beat Gretzky on the teenage goal scorer list b) really wrap the season while being the most scoring forward since entering NHL c) win Rocket Richard, there can be little doubt he's in for a hefty pay-check. If he gets it all then gl persuading agent to accept 8m/y.

I don't care if takes a seven million dollar contract really and to be honest I'm almost hoping he would so they might consider making room for Stastny. I'm merely saying that compared to what other young stars are getting, Laine does belong to that very upper tier and salary expectations should be similar, especially if they want him signed long-term.

I believe I have been consistent In quoting the upper end range with regards to elite young players signing off their ELC. If you disagree please show me an example other than Echiel. An 8.9 hit would give him the fourth highest cap hit amoung wingers in the league and two of the other ones where signed as straight UFA deals when those players each had an art rose to their names and in Kanes case a Heart and ConSmyth.

Also you can't just extrapolate that he would continue to score at the same rate playing more ES minutes. As those minutes go up so to does the quality of his matchups.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If he accepts something similar to Drai it's a steal.

I'd be shocked if he is signed for $10Mx8.
A month ago he was not worth any more than Ehlers, based on his 5v5 P/60 and defensive play. This current streak 5x5 is great, but not a reason to undermine the internal economics of a team built for SC contention over many years.
It is generally accepted that Patrik's goal is also to win a SC and that requires a balanced approach to our many great players. If I were Chevy, I would offer him 8 years in term, front load the contract as much as possible so that Patrik and his family were quickly made financially secure for the rest of their lives, then reduce the back end of the contract to the limits of the CBA.
Eg, 10/10/7.5/7.5/7.5/7.5/5/5....AAV=7.5

The thing is that Laine comes with a lot more hype than Ehlers did, and Laine scored 36 goals as a 18y and is at 38 as a 19y old, Laine has destroyed Ehlers +1 and +2 seasons.

With these superstar kids you have to pay for potential as well, neither Eichel or Drai are worth their money today, but they got those deals.

Laine contract negotiations will be a hole different beast than Ehlers.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Laine will sign in the $ 8.5 to $ 9 mil per season over 6-8 years-- should be very close to that. The Jet's should sign him in the off season, because next year he could pot 60 plus goals, and your looking at " huge money" $$$

I'm not quite sure if Chevy's old high school Llyod's calculator can handle all the zeros in his new contract-especially if it goes to 8 digits.

With the Chipman's being in the car business- maybe they can order him-a new deep cherry black colored Ferrarai, and get him at a discount.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I think Laine will sign before Mathews and for less, but not for much less but one can dream. I think Chevy comes in and offers 8x8 and a free bowl of ice cream for him and his GF whenever he gets a hat trick. Ehlers pronounces all lunches and Suppers are on Laine now that he makes more. To make cap space Buff gets traded at 2019 draft floor for picks and prospects also helping the Jets out for the year after for Seattle expansion draft.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm not quite sure if Chevy's old high school Llyod's calculator can handle all the zeros in his new contract-especially if it goes to 8 digits.

hahaha that made me laugh, I can imagine Chevy trying to crunch numbers on one of these classics:

Lloyds322_1.jpg

Chipman dusts off his abacus and slide rule for extra calculations due to increased Zeros

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Heard some rumours that he is gonna pump up his value up in few hours.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Mike Liut's clients (and their most recent contracts):

PlayerSignedAAV x Term% of Cap
Leon Draisaitl2017$8.5M x 811.33%
Vladimir Tarasenko2015$7.5M x 8 10.27%
Rasmus Ristolainen2016$5.4M x 67.4%
Devon Dubnyk2015 $4.33M x 6 5.94%
Cory Schneider2014$6M x 78.7%
Kari Lehtonen2012$5.9M x 59.83%