Laine relegated to the 4th line

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
He was second in scoring as a 19 year old only behind Ovi. He'll be fine in the right enviroment. This place loves to overreact.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Whatever is Patrik Laine doin' in teams like Winnipeg and Columbus. Nothing, absolutely nothing. Not that I mean he is Jesus on skates - but give'm a break. Maybe the two worst teams he landed on. Every Finn, and I mean every new record number of Finns in the NHL has succeeded more than him this time around. So it's up to you Patrik Laine.

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
Whatever is Patrik Laine doin' in teams like Winnipeg and Columbus. Nothing, absolutely nothing. Not that I mean he is Jesus on skates - but give'm a break. Maybe the two worst teams he landed on. Every Finn, and I mean every new record number of Finns in the NHL has succeeded more than him this time around. So it's up to you Patrik Laine.
Went to the conference finals in 2018.. totally Winnipeg was one of the worst teams ever!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It seems like Cbus made the trade for Laine with no intention of using or retaining him.

He was just the throw-in in the Roslovic trade. It's found money if Laine turns into a player.

If they get rid of Torts in the off-season this problem goes away....

That and you know... Laine growing up.

Torts letting his ego get the better of him as usual. I'm sure the Columbus organization will appreciate his approach when they're forced to trade Laine for pennies on the dollar.

At this point I don't think Jackets fans care what they do with Laine. Make him wash dishes or drive the zamboni for all we care. He hasn't played well enough to deserve any particular spot in the lineup. Torts has undeniably mis-coached the player but it has nothing to do with what line he is on.

Reactions: ps241

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He was second in scoring as a 19 year old only behind Ovi. He'll be fine in the right enviroment. This place loves to overreact.

lol it's been almost 3 years since then, scoring placements after that year, 43rd, 22nd and currently 130th. Well he certainly did not get any better regardless of which team he played on, the league has gotten faster each year and Laine is starting to stick out like a sore thumb.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
lol it's been almost 3 years since then, scoring placements after that year, 43rd, 22nd and currently 130th. Well he certainly did not get any better regardless of which team he played on.
Definitely. Still he's shown he can score a bunch of goals in this league. Doesn't look like he's enjoying hockey at the moment. Another fresh start and a good summer of training could do wonders. I still believe in him.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Puljujarvi now has the same amount of points through this season. Not good for Laine. Unless he gets it together I don't see him being a NHL'er for too long. He has a lot of options so I'm not worried for him but he could have been a really good player if he wasn't a me first guy.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Puljujarvi now has the same amount of points through this season. Not good for Laine. Unless he gets it together I don't see him being a NHL'er for too long. He has a lot of options so I'm not worried for him but he could have been a really good player if he wasn't a me first guy.
and it only took him getting to play with the best player in the world to do so!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
...meanwhile Puljujaarvi lighting it up on the 1st line and having a blast being the new Kurri to Connors Gretzky.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
Can't see him playing in the NHL after this season, at least for a year to two. Who's gonna qualify this guy at $7.5 mil to underperform and cause drama wherever he goes?

Florida could sign Laine just to keep his BFF Barkov there. Laine is a headcase and playing in Florida on a first line with Barkov might be the best choice for him.

olop

Jan 28, 2012
I still think Laine will have a couple of 50g/90p seasons but looks like they might be followed by a 20g/40p season. I think there is something wrong mentally and hope he gets some professional help to manage with these problems.

At least his hockey looks like something with bipolar disorder with huge up and downs. Not saying the player himself does.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Florida could sign Laine just to keep his BFF Barkov there. Laine is a headcase and playing in Florida on a first line with Barkov might be the best choice for him.

It obviously would be good one for Laine, but would it be that for Barkov and Florida?

There are currently so many wingers that are overall better. And sadly Laine has shown that he would need to be always considered with top tier playmaking center. It´s a salary cap era and he makes lineup flexibility difficult. And what if there is prospects in the pipeline who could take his place. He is rather useles in any other role (or atleast he really needs to rethink how he plays). It makes long term commitment to him difficult. In theory there is possible reward in Laine, but there are so many risks involved in him.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
At this point Columbus is stuck with him. Bring in a new coach like gallant and hope he finds his scoring touch next year then go from there

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
At this point Columbus is stuck with him. Bring in a new coach like gallant and hope he finds his scoring touch next year then go from there

I would like to remind you to re-check the CBJ contract list.

CBJ is being run like a hedge fund by Kekäläinen and Laine is a RFA. Nobody gets paid, and neither will Laine. He will get offered like 4-5M$ and he has no option but to take it.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Obviously this season is going poorly for Laine but he has such a high QO that this year really doesn't matter . Next year is where it gets important for him and Columbus ( if he's still there next season ).

How will Laine do with a full training camp and presumably a next coaching staff in Columbus ?

It's unlikely he signs more than a 1 to at most 2 year deal with the Jackets this offseason. Meaning his deal after that is where he most likely makes most long-term money .

Last edited:

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Obviously this season is going poorly for Laine but he has such a high QO that this year really doesn't matter . Next year is where it gets important for him and Columbus ( if he's still there next season ).

How will Laine do with a full training camp and presumably a next coaching staff in Columbus ?

It's unlikely he signs more than a 1 to at most year deal with the Jackets this offseason. Meaning his deal after that is where he most likely makes most long-term money .

I would entertain trading him, as much as CBJ needs Laine's potential. That is, if they dont fire Torts which they will.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Why can Laine sometimes skate really fast and look unstoppable, but most of the time not?

This makes no sense. It is a true case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

He pretty much has to have mental issues to be capable of top tier nhl feats, but almost never even make the effort. He needs a counselor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad