Laine relegated to the 4th line

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If you ever watch Columbus you would learn that Torts rarely stays with set lines and the lines that start the game don’t play the whole first period together let alone the whole game. If he didn’t miss the last game with an illness I’d boldly predict that 4th line Laine would get 16 or 17 minutes tonight.

Reactions: CBJx614

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I guess I wasn't entirely stupid when I said Jesse Puljujarvi would have a better career on draft day....

Who woulda thought they'd have similar trade value.

Talk about falling off a cliff.
Maybe he needs another 1yr Tyson Barrie prove it contract in Edm too!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You guys are making way too much of this

1. he’s returning from an illness

2. the lines played pretty good last game and thus torts keeps them together

3. Torts blows up his lines during games constantly. It’s his favorite thing to do besides yelling at people and talking about dogs.

This is a useless discussion

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Puljujarvi for Laine, lets make the swap, Mcdavid needs a finisher on his wing. Laine is on the cusp of greatness. Not his fault his coach is holding him back.

No thanks.

I'd love to see Laine there too, but I'm not trading that piece hoping for a rebound.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He hasn't been a 30+ scorer this year and there's bunch of red flags. 7,5 million deal for him is not a desirable market value.

It's not like many more desirable names will be available, Laine is and his price is not going to be prohibitive. For many buyers it's him and his flags or someone who isn't going to score 30.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It's not like many more desirable names will be available, Laine is and his price is not going to be prohibitive. For many buyers it's him and his flags or someone who isn't going to score 30.

Do GM's still believe he's going to score 30?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He hasn't been a 30+ scorer this year and there's bunch of red flags. 7,5 million deal for him is not a desirable market value.

41 games, 10 goals, 8 assists and -26. He's absolutely horrible this season.
Sure he won't score 30 this season but I bet he gets 13, which would put him at 115th in the scoring race. True scoring is the best part of his game but 115th ain't bad.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Less Ovechkin/Mario, more Heatley/Yakupov. Disappointing. He has a special shot. But man he's a difficult guy to play with. I don't know why he's been on this downward trajectory for the last few years. In 2017/2018 you watched him with suspense because he could score from anywhere. Then he just stopped getting chances. Weird.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Less Ovechkin/Mario, more Heatley/Yakupov. Disappointing. He has a special shot. But man he's a difficult guy to play with. I don't know why he's been on this downward trajectory for the last few years. In 2017/2018 you watched him with suspense because he could score from anywhere. Then he just stopped getting chances. Weird.

What was wrong with Heatley? Up until the 01-11 season he was putting up more than a point a game and potting 35+ goals a season.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Too many excuses for a lazy player.

Good luck in Finland.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

41 games, 10 goals, 8 assists and -26. He's absolutely horrible this season.
On a new team that for that last few years was trying to build around a physically dominant two way Center...

Traded for in the middle of a pandemic where you can't have any off ice team building activities. Confined essentially to the gym, rink and a room. Combined with a coach who is on his way out. And then factor in they've been eliminated from the playoffs for awhile now. The team is in full tank mode.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004

I previously stated that Laine is a better Filatov, I take that back.

Laine is dead set on surpassing Filatov and becoming the ultimate hockey prima donna.

WPG was smart to toss him.

Looks like the team has four 4th lines...that is quite possibly a generational feat. But is it HOF-worthy? That is the real question.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's pretty common for guys returning from illness to get put on the 4th line during their first practice back.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Laine is gonna get paid still. Sure, it won't be 7+ or anything crazy but people some team won't sign him are delusional.

I bet he'll have more than a few teams calling, cause he aint staying with Columbus

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Apologies for comparing Heatley to Yakupov lol. He just reminds me of a failed star player while I forget he actually had a pretty good career all things considered.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Apologies for comparing Heatley to Yakupov lol. He just reminds me of a failed star player while I forget he actually had a pretty good career all things considered.

Heatley was excellent player. But he dropped off from a cliff. Was it after the car crash?

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I wouldn't sign him. He either is a completely unfit to the team or he just full stop doesn't wan't to play there. It was a trade that seemingly backfired. Just cut your losses and let him go.

If Jarmo doesn't sign Laine and at least try to move him, he can walk out of the door with Laine. There's no reality where Laine walks for nothing.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Heatley was excellent player. But he dropped off from a cliff. Was it after the car crash?

Crash happened when he was a Thrasher. Had back to back 50 goal seasons in Ottawa after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad