Laine relegated to the 4th line

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

I previously stated that Laine is a better Filatov, I take that back.

Laine is dead set on surpassing Filatov and becoming the ultimate hockey prima donna.

WPG was smart to toss him.

I think most posters and fans who follow the game extremely closely, saw and continue to see Laine as a one trick pony. He’s got a helluva shot. Not the smartest player, not a guy who’s going to give 100% effort every shift or every game, and not a guy who drives a line. You look at Taylor Hall for example, a guy who was expected to be a line driver, a guy who was the go to on offence for some teams. Didn’t work. He’s a good fit in Boston because he doesn’t have to be the man on offence. He fits in nicely to a second line. I see the same thing with Laine. Put him on a deep team on a second line and he should do well. Problem is that he wants first line money and will thin out a team’s depth. He just isn’t good enough. Not a shocker.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
He was sick last game and if you follow the Jackets you'd know they are playing their players who they haven't been able to get much playing time and need to make a decision on. They know what they have in Laine. Not so much on some of the others.

This is a non issue. . .

Now if we were in the playoff hunt and this happened I would agree

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
He was sick last game and if you follow the Jackets you'd know they are playing their players who they haven't been able to get much playing time and need to make a decision on. They know what they have in Laine. Not so much on some of the others.

This is a non issue. . .

Now if we were in the playoff hunt and this happened I would agree

You have a 7.5 million dollar player on the 4th line. Regardless of literally ANY circumstances, that is an issue.

Players making that kind of money are not restoration projects, they're supposed to be leading the team.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I don't understand coaches obsession with trying to turn Laine into something he's not.

You don't understand the coaches obsession with trying to make his player play a complete game with consistent effort on both ends of the ice ? I don't understand how some people defend lazy players with no work ethic, pro athletes who whine and complain when their vets tell them to work out and get better. So much talent with absolutely no work ethic. He can still become a good maybe even great player, but this isn't on Torts, it's on Laine. Drop the shitty attitude, stop being so entitled and put in some real effort.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Which Finnish team is the favorite to sign him? Looks like he'll be there in a few years.

Reactions: Krispy

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

Tortorella is too much of a dinosaur.

You put Laine on the powerplay as much as possible, keep him away from strong defensive forwards, and load up a second line with him on it that you can take advantage of a weaker forward group. Tell him to play to his strength, shoot the puck as much as possible if open, and don't rely on your speed, back checking or passing because they aren't your best strengths. Obviously you don't want him to be completely lazy and be a turn over machine. But if you can turn him into a consistent 40 goal scorer then the weaknesses in his game won't be as difficult to deal with.

Torts thinks you can turn a scorer into a Selke candidate. Torts is not Bowman and Laine is not Yzerman, its not going to work. Just score goals.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
If he wants to come cheap for a year in Toronto... He's welcome. Imagine having Laine on the 2nd pp.

He'd have to take less money, but he can boost his value like Galchenyuk and possibly play to win in a good lockerroom environment.

Doubt it. He seems like the type that will base his motivation to play hard based on how much he makes as comparable.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
If he wants to come cheap for a year in Toronto... He's welcome. Imagine having Laine on the 2nd pp.

He'd have to take less money, but he can boost his value like Galchenyuk and possibly play to win in a good lockerroom environment.

Doubt it. He seems like the type that will base his motivation to play hard based on how much he makes as comparable.

No thanks.

The Leafs, after a very long time, finally rid itself of the country club mentality that plagued the organization for more than a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->