Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That line has 3 primary shooters. It doesn't make sense from that perspective. They could make the team deeper by swapping Perreault and Connor, get a shooter for the 3rd line and a pass first puck hound for 1st. This would get more shots out of Laine and Scheifele, maybe Connor too since he'd play in a line that has two puck hounds.

Good point, we seem to have a number of too 6 type players that like to shoot. Really only Wheeler is whatvi call a primary playmaker.

One of the reasons that I hope Harkins continues to thrive is because he is playmaking C first and foremost and could potentially add some balance to our skilled forwards.

Reactions: PhilJets

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
That line has 3 primary shooters. It doesn't make sense from that perspective. They could make the team deeper by swapping Perreault and Connor, get a shooter for the 3rd line and a pass first puck hound for 1st. This would get more shots out of Laine and Scheifele, maybe Connor too since he'd play in a line that has two puck hounds.

I don't think anyone is unhappy that Laine finally got 1st line duty, he has been the best player since and the stats show it too. That was expected. Nothing wrong with tweaking the lines more, see what works and what brings best results for the team. Trying Perreault or some other "non shooter" in that line would be worth a shot, see if Connor would also get the 3rd line scoring, they are good at getting the pressure in opponents end but bad at finishing. Or try swapping Ehlers and Connor, see how that works for the team. There's options.
No kidding eh. Or maybe I just have no clue what I am talking about derpy derp. I mean why would a team who has one of the best young shooters of this generation want to optimize a line around his strengths.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm actually pretty happy that he got revenge on Comeau today. It's never good to take a needless penalty but it's good to see Laine play with that kind of passion. Plus that was a cheap shot by Comeau, f*** that guy.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I'm actually pretty happy that he got revenge on Comeau today. It's never good to take a needless penalty but it's good to see Laine play with that kind of passion. Plus that was a cheap shot by Comeau, **** that guy.
It was a good penalty. Players have to stand up for themselves, and it was a calculated and well timed retalitation for the cheap shot that Comeau pulled a few shifts earlier. The Jets had a comfortable lead and the Stars were taking runs at them. It was great to see Patrik, Ehlers and Lowry standing up for themselves and their teammates, and not taking any **** from the Dallas Chocolate Stars.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Let's keep Patrik Scheifele together:

upload_2019-12-4_13-54-59.png

All stats 5-on-5, this season. When this duo is on ice together, WPG wins. When they are separated, not so much.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

View attachment 286325

All stats 5-on-5, this season. When this duo is on ice together, WPG wins. When they are separated, not so much.

They're good together, specially in offense.
Everybody could see that 3 years ago!!!!

They're not gonna wow you with a standout defensive game. But opponents against them will always think twice to attack.
Because once it goes back the other way.

Kaching!
I wish there is a freaking playmaking Dman behind them.... Heinola , sooooon..

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
They're good together, specially in offense.
Everybody could see that 3 years ago!!!!

They're not gonna wow you with a standout defensive game. But opponents against them will always think twice to attack.
Because once it goes back the other way.

Kaching!
I wish there is a freaking playmaking Dman behind them.... Heinola , sooooon..

I would love to see Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine or Roslovic - Scheifele - Laine tried, but that would break the 2nd line that is working very well. Ehlers (now) and Roslovic (always has been) are hugely better defensively compared to Connor, who is actually a defensive liability.

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
Laine is at the moment projected to have 25+58=83 in 80 games. Do you guys consider that to be enough for lets say 9M a year contract?

Jackalope

Nov 1, 2018
Does anybody have a video-link to that disallowed goal by Laine from yesterday's game?

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Laine is at the moment projected to have 25+58=83 in 80 games. Do you guys consider that to be enough for lets say 9M a year contract?

Given that he is young, projecting upwards, easily for 9M, given that he is also winning his games: On even strength, he is +27 -18 =+9. If we compare that to his linemates Connor (+26 -25 = +1) and Scheifele (+35 -31 = +4), that's pretty nice.

Snaibberi

Mar 20, 2008
He is shooting as much as he did in last 3 years so when he finds his aim he will get 35+ goals. Under 30 would be a disapointment because i liked that one trick pony from the first two seasons.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland

View attachment 286325

Good example of how shot metrics aren't everything, I mean McDavid and Draisaitl have CF 47.6% 5v5 :laugh: Difference is they're getting more high danger chances, the Jets are a bit quiet on that front as a whole. As long as Helleybuck keeps going like he is tho and with Laine maybe exploding for some goals in the near future, things look good for the 1st line. Longer they keep playing together, the more they find chemistry, I feel like Scheif and Laine had that problem a bit ever since the rookie season that they never got to play long enough together to find that common rhytm and of course Laine wasn't playing as well as he is now.

Reactions: Halberdier

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i think b/w 8.5-9.25M (depending on term length). that stat line is close to Aho's in his contract year. add in Aho's value at C, and depends what the cap is of course

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It was a good penalty. Players have to stand up for themselves, and it was a calculated and well timed retalitation for the cheap shot that Comeau pulled a few shifts earlier. The Jets had a comfortable lead and the Stars were taking runs at them. It was great to see Patrik, Ehlers and Lowry standing up for themselves and their teammates, and not taking any **** from the Dallas Chocolate Stars.

No need to make excuses for Patty--he is plenty mature enough to own up for his mistakes.
In his post game interview, Patrik described it as a "dumb penalty" and he was right. There was no need to spoil the PP that eventually led to a 4x4 goal by Heiskanen. Those momentary lapses could lead to turnarounds in other circumstances. Luckily, he was able to get the goal back for the team.

Reactions: Jets 31

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
No need to make excuses for Patty--he is plenty mature enough to own up for his mistakes.
In his post game interview, Patrik described it as a "dumb penalty" and he was right. There was no need to spoil the PP that eventually led to a 4x4 goal by Heiskanen. Those momentary lapses could lead to turnarounds in other circumstances. Luckily, he was able to get the goal back for the team.
I'm not making excuses, I am just stating my opinion about how the before mentioned Jets players acted. My point still stands, the Jets can't act as pushovers on the ice, and I would like any Jet to retaliate the same way in that situation. I don't care what any player or coach says in an interview after the game, since those are quite meaningless after all. I don't expect to hear a player say that it was a good penalty, but I'm sure that many of them feel that way. The Stars were trying to throw the Jets off with their dirty play, but the Jets made them pay – both on the scoresheet and physically. It was a great game and I wouldn't want our boys to play it any other way.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I'm not making excuses, I am just stating my opinion about how the before mentioned Jets players acted. My point still stands, the Jets can't act as pushovers on the ice, and I would like any Jet to retaliate the same way in that situation. I don't care what any player or coach says in an interview after the game, since those are quite meaningless after all. I don't expect to hear a player say that it was a good penalty, but I'm sure that many of them feel that way. The Stars were trying to throw the Jets off with their dirty play, but the Jets made them pay – both on the scoresheet and physically. It was a great game and I wouldn't want our boys to play it any other way.
Wasn't referring to just you, but more a tendency to defend Laine even when he makes a mistake, a tendency that he himself does not share.
I would respectfully suggest that crosschecking a bottom 6 opponent from behind on a PP is not a sign of strength, but one of weakness, mental weakness. Opponents will take advantage of that and continue to bait him, hoping to draw a scoring threat into taking retaliatory penalties. Patty needs to be smarter than that--he knows it and will learn from it.

Lowry and Ehlers altercations were quite different and better examples of standing up physically.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Wasn't referring to just you, but more a tendency to defend Laine even when he makes a mistake, a tendency that he himself does not share.
I would respectfully suggest that crosschecking a bottom 6 opponent from behind on a PP is not a sign of strength, but one of weakness, mental weakness. Opponents will take advantage of that and continue to bait him, hoping to draw a scoring threat into taking retaliatory penalties. Patty needs to be smarter than that--he knows it and will learn from it.

Lowry and Ehlers altercations were quite different and better examples of standing up physically.

Laine and his 4 PIM have been a real problem this season... 2 penalties taken and 7 penalties drawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad