Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Well the fact that Laine is a one dimensional player and aside from a fantastic shot really doesn’t bring much to the table and the contract he is going to be attached to him really doesn’t make him as valuable to another team in a salary cap world.
I’d rather captain material “Team player”who wants to win over someone who had pretty much complained since he came into the NHL.
How come you didn’t watch any hockey this year?

Reactions: MrThomas and hn777

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
"One-dimensional" Patrik Laine has 109 assists from last 4 seasons as a 18-21 year old kid.

That's more or same as:

Paul Stastny - 109
Ondrej Palat - 109
Mikko Koivu - 109
Jonathan Drouin - 108
Charlie Coyle - 107
Jordan Eberle - 107
Tomas Tatar - 107
Kevin Hayes - 105
TJ Oshie - 104
Claytin Keller -104
Travis Konecny -102
Jake Guentzel - 102
Kyle Connor - 96
Tomas Hertl - 95
Pierre-Luc Dubois - 93
Anthony Mantha - 88
Zach Parise - 86
Alex Debrincat - 85
Jeff Skinner - 83

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Debrusk grezlyk bjork vak and a 1st round pick for laine. Cant beat that !
Hey Godfather that is a offer that I can refuse . The Bruins should not cut their team for one player......I think they should be looking into Laine ,but thread very carefully.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Seems odd given that he’s so much older but yet so outscored. But to each their own I guess
1 yr difference in their ages is so much older?

And what's odd about preferring having a 1st line center,over a 1st line winger, especially when the isles lack high end center prospects,while having 3 quality wing prospect's in Wally/Holmstrom/Bellows?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Lowballing Jets fans on a forum doesn't get you the player for cheap in reality, you know. Winnipeg has 3 years of control left. If we get "65 cents on the dollar", he just doesn't get moved.

Also, I'd argue that Gaudette + 2nd isn't even close to 65 cents on the dollar. You want an elite goal scorer, dig deep.

Are you omitting Boeser? I said those were add-ons to Boeser, not the main piece. Over the past 3 years Laine has produced at 0.78 ppg and scored 102 goals, while Boeser has produced at 0.82 ppg and scored 71 goals over the same time frame. So Boeser has slightly better production and a much better commitment to defense / two-way play, while Laine has significantly outproduced him in goal scoring. Clearly Laine is the better player and more valuable asset but that gap isn't that massive, especially to justify including another PPG player like Miller. Both are cost controlled for the next bit and both will be RFA's when their contract ends.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
"One-dimensional" Patrik Laine has 109 assists from last 4 seasons as a 18-21 year old kid.

That's more or same as:

Paul Stastny - 109
Ondrej Palat - 109
Mikko Koivu - 109
Jonathan Drouin - 108
Charlie Coyle - 107
Jordan Eberle - 107

Ah the great playmaker Jordan Eberle. Yep, this for sure proves Laine is not one dimensional. Haters blown out by FACTS and LOGIC.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I don't think Laine is one dimensional, but his game isn't well rounded enough to warrant 9 million per year....for an extended period of time.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Ah the great playmaker Jordan Eberle. Yep, this for sure proves Laine is not one dimensional. Haters blown out by FACTS and LOGIC.
So because there's one player in there that's better at making plays than you had originally thought it discredits the whole post? Weird mentality but you do you.

It wasn't a post saying "look at all these great playmakers" it was a post saying "for someone who only has one dimension and is still maturing, he sure does just as well at playmaking as a bunch of other players that for some reason aren't considered to be poor playmakers by any means". So if his playmaking game is so bad that he can still only be considered one dimensional, then none of those players listed have a playmaking game that's worth a shit either.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Why not do 4 years then? Barzal is a year older and drafted a year earlier. Surely that doesn’t make a difference and isn’t why you stopped at 3 years. Or why you didn’t just include this year for that matter

The other poster accused me of cherry picking so I compared all 3 years their careers overlapped. Seems reasonable.

Barzal wasn't in the NHL 4 years ago...obviously Laine outscored him.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
You listed shitty dates by dates that has nothing to do with anything!

Get proven factually wrong, so resorting to attacking the person who proved you wrong. Lets see if this tactic works...

It's not just me or Islanders fans saying Barzal has more value than Laine, it's neutral fans and some Jet fans too.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Well the fact that Laine is a one dimensional player and aside from a fantastic shot really doesn’t bring much to the table and the contract he is going to be attached to him really doesn’t make him as valuable to another team in a salary cap world.
I’d rather captain material “Team player”who wants to win over someone who had pretty much complained since he came into the NHL.

You obviously did not watch him play last season.

Do some research and you will know he is not the one trick pony you are describing.
Smh

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Not a ton more as it appears this is a situation where it looks like you'll get 65 cents on the dollar. Gaudette and a 2nd? Open to discussion...
Okay. Check back next summer, because the Jets are in no hurry and you're not offering anything the Jets need.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Are you omitting Boeser? I said those were add-ons to Boeser, not the main piece. Over the past 3 years Laine has produced at 0.78 ppg and scored 102 goals, while Boeser has produced at 0.82 ppg and scored 71 goals over the same time frame. So Boeser has slightly better production and a much better commitment to defense / two-way play, while Laine has significantly outproduced him in goal scoring. Clearly Laine is the better player and more valuable asset but that gap isn't that massive, especially to justify including another PPG player like Miller. Both are cost controlled for the next bit and both will be RFA's when their contract ends.

I think in this comparison you need to point out that you are using PPG because Boeser is injured a lot and can't play more than 69 games in a season and averages 62.6 games / season. So he only plays about 75% of the season and his goal-scoring has dropped each year.

And to be clear, I am a huge Boeser fan who wanted the Bruins to do almost anything to acquire him but he is a tier below Laine for sure.

Reactions: Snowman

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
You obviously did not watch him play last season.

Do some research and you will know he is not the one trick pony you are describing.
Smh

I watched him and saw a forward working on rounding out his game.

I remember when Pastrnak came into the league and looked like Bambi cherry-picking; suddenly the time on the best Selke-pairing in the NHL began to rub off and expectations to round out his game began.

I saw flashes of that from Laine. But it's clear that there is a fractured relationship here that really smells like Trouba 2.0 and some tough decisions have to be made. No one thinks there will be a 1 for 1 here so it has to be a situation where the Jets are getting two 8/10's for their 9/10 and not three 6/10's etc. Does that analogy make sense? If they got a 20-30 goal scorer and a #3 D or something like that.

I bet Carolina can put together a pretty solid package.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Hey Godfather that is a offer that I can refuse . The Bruins should not cut their team for one player......I think they should be looking into Laine ,but thread very carefully.

Agreed. Any Boston trade starts with DeBrusk and Carlo (which is where the pain begins) and then probably another top prospect or 1st.

I debate Laine a lot with Bruins fans who don't stay up and watch him play at all, especially the last year where he made most of his progress but I'm tired of wasting the best final years of Marchand, Rask, Bergeron and Krejci on patchwork 3rd liners.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
What is the purpose of posting "first" ?????? Seriously, I don't get it?
Just poking fun at the people in internet communities who think commenting “first” is some groundbreaking achievement akin to solving world hunger

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon

Found the one who hasn't watched the Jets at all and has no idea about the player in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad