Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Ok. Fine. How about just substitute $9 million for the word Drai or any other player making that sort of aav who is worth it. My agenda is to suggest that some teams won’t want to pay Laine top of the league money. I can’t imagine that’s shocking to you.
Again, 9 mil is not “top of the league money” 9 mil is right in the range that Laine should be making if he has another good year.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I'd be satisfied with a 1st and a player who already meets the definition of top 4 RHD or top 6 C, that is signed for at least 3 years or an RFA with team control.

That means no "potential 2C", no player who's a UFA next season, just a solid player who immediately steps in and fills a role that's needed, that we know can do it because they've already been doing it.
I agree though with Statsny and Perfetti I’d be more inclined to want the D man over the C at this point.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Not interested in trading a 23 yr old Barzal to land Laine and the isles are not in position to acquire or pay the talented,but oft injured.30 yr old Stamkos making $8m.

If Barzal is moved,I would want him moved as the key to a package for 23 yr old Eichel,not 30 yr old Stamkos.
First, I wonder why Laines age is the only one you didn’t mention? And second, you’re not trading Barzal for Stamkos in this scenario.

Reactions: TS Quint

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
If you're the Islanders, I would think the point of acquiring Laine is to play him alongside Barzal...
Yes pretty much. Barzal if you watched him in the playoffs set up eberle so many times for great chances but he couldn’t finish a chance even with half empty nets. Barzal needs an elite finisher to play with as he’s never gonna be a top goal scorers. He is one of the most creative players and best skaters in the league who plays a 2 way game under trots. Not a top 10 center yet but get him
An elite finisher he will be.

Reactions: Dache

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
I could see Minnesota having serious interest in Laine so they can have him play alongside Rossi...

The Wild have 2 1st round picks next year... their own, and Pittsburgh's... but I'm not sure picks are what the Jets would or should be looking for at this point...

Perhaps a 3rd team would need to be involved... one that would be willing to give up win-now players in exchange for those picks...

Minnesota out: 2021 1st, PIT's 2021 1st, Eriksson EK, Addison
Minnesota in: Laine

Winnipeg out: Laine, Roslovic
Winnipeg in: Cirelli, Sergachev

Tampa Bay out: Cirelli, Sergachev
Tampa Bay in: MIN's 2021 1st, PIT's 2021 1st, Eriksson EK, Roslovic, Addison

Minnesota get an elite young sniper to pair with Rossi

Winnipeg get some young, talented players to fill positions of need

Tampa Bay get a couple of 1st rd picks, plus some young players with upside to plug into their lineup
Tampa would never do this.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Trade cant happen, who would Pattie demand as his center on the Island if Barzal went the other way? Let's remember, Pattie has shown a willingness to throw teammates under the bus for his personal statistics. Cant imagine Pattie and his inflated ego fitting in w Uncle Lou and Trotz.
Which teammates has he thrown under the bus, real sources please.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
No way the Canes give up both Pesce and Necas for Laine. That's crippling. Laine's not worth that for us. We need a 2nd-line wing; he's a luxury to us. We're not that desperate.

In fact, based off what Lebrun said yesterday, it sounds like the Canes made their regular "due diligence" call weeks ago that they make on everyone available and potentially useful, didn't like what they heard, and haven't talked to Chevy since.

So...seemingly, we're out already.

Which is probably why we heard DeBrusks name pop up since then, who, fits the Canes better at a lower cost anyway.

You guys have some very nice high end skilled forwards, a player in the mold of DeBrusk would being some dangerous balance to that line up.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
In determining Laine's trade value, it may be worthwhile to take a look at Fresh's newsletter, dated 9/4/20, entitled "What is Patrik Laine Worth?" It contains an in-depth review of Laine's analytics . Essentially, the author concludes that Laine looks a lot like a younger version of Mike Hoffman. If true, it makes all the sense in the world for the Jets to explore trading him now, especially if his purported attitude issues are true.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Did he though or are you just reading a click bait title from a writer? Direct quotes from the article include
“He was saying sorry and apologizing for just the way I think it was interpreted, which I kind of understood before I even talked to him,” explained Little he then continues to say “I know Patty well enough to know that he's not someone that's going to purposely say negative things, especially about his teammates.”
All he said is that he thinks he should play with the best players on the top line. Do you think Little felt he was the best C on the team or thought they were the top line? Matthews and Marner have said they want to play together, is that throwing Tavares under the bus? Not at all.

Reactions: PhilJets

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
In determining Laine's trade value, it may be worthwhile to take a look at Fresh's newsletter, dated 9/4/20, entitled "What is Patrik Laine Worth?" It contains an in-depth review of Laine's analytics . Essentially, the author concludes that Laine looks a lot like a younger version of Mike Hoffman. If true, it makes all the sense in the world for the Jets to explore trading him now, especially if his purported attitude issues are true.
That doesn’t sound like a worthwhile opinion

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
First, I wonder why Laines age is the only one you didn’t mention? And second, you’re not trading Barzal for Stamkos in this scenario.
Laine and Barzal are about the same age,but I prefer the first line center over the first line winger.

And the isles cannot afford all of Laine + Stamkos + paying Pulock their #1 RHD.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Hoffman? Are you serious? Nah man. He can beat a goalie with his wrister from Flin Flon once in a blue moon.

Reactions: Pongs21 and Nedarb

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Laine and Barzal are about the same age,but I prefer the first line center over the first line winger.

And the isles cannot afford all of Laine + Stamkos + paying Pulock their #1 RHD.
Laine is a year younger, yet you mention how young Barzal is. I’d prefer Barzal over Laine too, most people would. So there was no need to try to phrase their ages like that unless you’re trying to push a narrative

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Did he though or are you just reading a click bait title from a writer? Direct quotes from the article include
“He was saying sorry and apologizing for just the way I think it was interpreted, which I kind of understood before I even talked to him,” explained Little he then continues to say “I know Patty well enough to know that he's not someone that's going to purposely say negative things, especially about his teammates.”
All he said is that he thinks he should play with the best players on the top line. Do you think Little felt he was the best C on the team or thought they were the top line? Matthews and Marner have said they want to play together, is that throwing Tavares under the bus? Not at all.

I think publicly complaining about who he plays with (or rather, who he doesn’t get to play with on a regular basis) is a bit classless. I don’t see how this brings team harmony.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Laine is a year younger, yet you mention how young Barzal is. I’d prefer Barzal over Laine too, most people would. So there was no need to try to phrase their ages like that unless you’re trying to push a narrative
My narrative is that I have zero interest in swapping my team's 23 yr 1C for a similarly aged 1st line winger or for a 30 yr old center.

Reactions: go4hockey

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

You mean the Mike Hoffmann who scored 0 goals in 4 games during his 3 post draft years?

Analytics tell us Laine is an AHL player. :thumbu:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I think publicly complaining about who he plays with (or rather, who he doesn’t get to play with on a regular basis) is a bit classless. I don’t see how this brings team harmony.
I can see where you’re coming from, and there is better ways to phrase it, but a young top end goal scorer saying he wants to play on the first line is really no big deal. Trouba said he wanted more mins too and that was a nothing story.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
My narrative is that I have zero interest in swapping my team's 23 yr 1C for a similarly aged 1st line winger or for a 30 yr old center.
No 23 year old winger was talked about in this thread. Or do you mean you don’t want 22 year old Laine for your older C that has been in the league 25% longer that’s been out scored 138 to 59. See how easy it is to make things sound so much different than they really are.

Reactions: Fairview

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No 23 year old winger was talked about in this thread. Or do you mean you don’t want 22 year old Laine for your older C that has been in the league 25% longer that’s been out scored 138 to 59.
Yes. That is exactly what I mean.

How hard is that for you to grasp?

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
i get Barzal but "I wouldn’t trade Nico straight up for Laine." LOL
Well the fact that Laine is a one dimensional player and aside from a fantastic shot really doesn’t bring much to the table and the contract he is going to be attached to him really doesn’t make him as valuable to another team in a salary cap world.
I’d rather captain material “Team player”who wants to win over someone who had pretty much complained since he came into the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad