Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Actually over the past 2 seasons Barzal has outscored Laine 122-113. So you're wrong (again).

If we expand it to the last 3 seasons Barzal outscored him 207-183.

Both players played the same amount of games each year.
Why not do 4 years then? Barzal is a year older and drafted a year earlier. Surely that doesn’t make a difference and isn’t why you stopped at 3 years. Or why you didn’t just include this year for that matter

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Not a ton more as it appears this is a situation where it looks like you'll get 65 cents on the dollar. Gaudette and a 2nd? Open to discussion...

Lowballing Jets fans on a forum doesn't get you the player for cheap in reality, you know. Winnipeg has 3 years of control left. If we get "65 cents on the dollar", he just doesn't get moved.

Also, I'd argue that Gaudette + 2nd isn't even close to 65 cents on the dollar. You want an elite goal scorer, dig deep.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yes Drai is one of the best players in the league but that does not mean you can ignore the steal that he’s on. By that arguement Laine isn’t better than Scheifele so I guess 6 mil is the max for Laine? Does this also mean that Rantanen is better than Drai? He’s paid more so I guess he must be? Using Drai is just a silly argument and makes it look like you either have an agenda or don’t know what you’re talking about.

Ok. Fine. How about just substitute $9 million for the word Drai or any other player making that sort of aav who is worth it. My agenda is to suggest that some teams won’t want to pay Laine top of the league money. I can’t imagine that’s shocking to you.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
A 23 yr old 1C, who when coming off an 85 pt season, was asked to ( and did), buy into his new head coach's defensive first system,which would sacrifice offense.

Yeah, let's not over rate Barzal
Dude, that's nothing to brag about. Just shows that Barzal has a weak mind and is a follower instead of a leader. That's not 1C material. That's more something you would like out of your 3rd line center, who should be a follower and take directions.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Just curious, what would Jets fan want if he actually was getting shipped out? (I don't think he will)

I'd be satisfied with a 1st and a player who already meets the definition of top 4 RHD or top 6 C, that is signed for at least 3 years or an RFA with team control.

That means no "potential 2C", no player who's a UFA next season, just a solid player who immediately steps in and fills a role that's needed, that we know can do it because they've already been doing it.

Reactions: Dache

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I could see Minnesota having serious interest in Laine so they can have him play alongside Rossi...

The Wild have 2 1st round picks next year... their own, and Pittsburgh's... but I'm not sure picks are what the Jets would or should be looking for at this point...

Perhaps a 3rd team would need to be involved... one that would be willing to give up win-now players in exchange for those picks...

Minnesota out: 2021 1st, PIT's 2021 1st, Eriksson EK, Addison
Minnesota in: Laine

Winnipeg out: Laine, Roslovic
Winnipeg in: Cirelli, Sergachev

Tampa Bay out: Cirelli, Sergachev
Tampa Bay in: MIN's 2021 1st, PIT's 2021 1st, Eriksson EK, Roslovic, Addison

Minnesota get an elite young sniper to pair with Rossi

Winnipeg get some young, talented players to fill positions of need

Tampa Bay get a couple of 1st rd picks, plus some young players with upside to plug into their lineup

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
This year:

October 12th to November 16th: 1 goal
December 27th to January 17th: 1 goal

February 11th to March 3rd: 2 goals

Last season:

March 1st to April 6th: 1 goal
December 31st to February 20th: 1 goal

Do you have a clue who Laine is? Have you ever watched him?

All hail mighty Nostradamus who can see into the future! While you're at it, please give me a couple lotto numbers as well.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Dude, that's nothing to brag about. Just shows that Barzal has a weak mind and is a follower instead of a leader. That's not 1C material. That's more something you would like out of your 3rd line center, who should be a follower and take directions.
Yeah, all the players who bought into Trotz selling them on sacrificing offense to play his defense first system,all those players who believed him when he promised on ice success are probably so embarrassed by appearing in the last ECF, that they are probably wearing bags over their heads:sarcasm:.

Just think,they could of been home playing fortnite:popcorn:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Laine and Heinola for Barzal.
Heinola and a 1st to TB for stamkos as they are in cap he’ll and they won a cup without him.

3 teams get better
Not interested in trading a 23 yr old Barzal to land Laine and the isles are not in position to acquire or pay the talented,but oft injured.30 yr old Stamkos making $8m.

If Barzal is moved,I would want him moved as the key to a package for 23 yr old Eichel,not 30 yr old Stamkos.

Last edited:

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
There is potential here.

I absolutely hate the idea of giving up Frost in particular and Sanheim and a first as well.....but you have to give up quality to get quality....people low balling Laine here are being absurd....there are very few such snipers in the NHL and one so young as well.....Laine is a beaut!

Reactions: PhilJets

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I absolutely hate the idea of giving up Frost in particular and Sanheim and a first as well.....but you have to give up quality to get quality....people low balling Laine here are being absurd....there are very few such snipers in the NHL and one so young as well.....Laine is a beaut!

This. Everybody wants to buy the star with a quantity-over-quality package of castaways and magic beans. Winnipeg isn't trading Laine unless the main piece coming back is of comparable quality, be it a dman or a center. If that currency conversion happens to equate to a solid young #2C or perhaps a dependable #2D or #3D then that's what Chevy will hold out for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->