Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yep. That’s where my mind went.

or something like pesce and necas
No. That’s too rich. Carolina won’t go that far. Nor should they they.

Peg is definitely not trading from a position of strength here. Will be a very hard trade for them to break even on a Laine trade. They certainly won’t win it.

Reactions: saffronleaf

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
No. That’s too rich. Carolina won’t go that far. Nor should they they.

Peg is definitely not trading from a position of strength here. Will be a very hard trade for them to break even on a Laine trade. They certainly won’t win it.

He hasn't explicitly demanded a trade so the Jets aren't in a rush to move him, either.

I think their best move is to wait until mid season for a team to really need some scoring and move him then. Best way to maximize it

Reactions: saffronleaf

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He hasn't explicitly demanded a trade so the Jets aren't in a rush to move him, either.

I think their best move is to wait until mid season for a team to really need some scoring and move him then. Best way to maximize it
Probably best.

Trading Laine now will be a 65 cents on the dollar move.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
And who will be the Isles #1 center after this trade?

Stamkos.

And that's why the trade makes sense. People always look at value, but no one looks at how to win the cup. Luo L. is a smart man. He knows how to fix a team. If they get Stamkos and Laine, they will have a number 1 C, plus number 1 scoring winger. Maybe Winnipeg adds to the trade and Islanders will improve even though they lost Barzal.

Personally, I would not gamble on Stamkos unless its cheap. Poor guy has health issues every season, but if it works out NYI would be a force.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

The Jets have three years of control on Laine. It doesn’t hurt for Chevy to fish around right now but he’s certainly not dealing in a position of weakness.

Laine is a very marketable player. I’m sure a good deal will land on our plate eventually. No rush at all.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
What a stupid idea, Barzal he s a guy with a lot of carater, he is a complet guy, playoff competitor, Laine he s a soft one no caracter...

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

Yes, put him in every position to succeed to drive up value and then trade from much better position.

Which is what they should have done with 26 but instead they drove up the price they then paid. Kinda the opposite of smart.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Yep. That’s where my mind went.

or something like pesce and necas

No way the Canes give up both Pesce and Necas for Laine. That's crippling. Laine's not worth that for us. We need a 2nd-line wing; he's a luxury to us. We're not that desperate.

In fact, based off what Lebrun said yesterday, it sounds like the Canes made their regular "due diligence" call weeks ago that they make on everyone available and potentially useful, didn't like what they heard, and haven't talked to Chevy since.

So...seemingly, we're out already.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yes, put him in every position to succeed to drive up value and then trade from much better position.

Which is what they should have done with 26 but instead they drove up the price they then paid. Kinda the opposite of smart.

They were never trading Wheeler or letting him leave. Its time to let that go.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Laine and Heinola for Barzal.
Heinola and a 1st to TB for stamkos as they are in cap he’ll and they won a cup without him.

3 teams get better

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Pulock + for Laine is an interesting base for a trade.

I think that would have to be one helluva +

Laine is on pace for a Hall of Fame career...

Do you really want to be the GM who traded a 22 year old future Hall of Famer in a deal centered around Ryan Pulock?

That has the potential to be a fixture in future discussions regarding the worst trades in NHL history...

That's not to say Pulock isn't a solid player, but he doesn't have Laine's potential for superstardom...

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Laine and Heinola for Barzal.
Heinola and a 1st to TB for stamkos as they are in cap he’ll and they won a cup without him.

3 teams get better
So the difference between Stamkos and Barzal is the same as Laine and a latter first?
The Isles aren’t in a much better cap space than Tampa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad