Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
He should be worth a lot. One of the most elite goal scorers in the league. Too bad he wants out of Winnipeg. Thriving hockey market with a hockey obsessed fan base. Hope he ends up realizing that and stays.

Ramland 07

Apr 10, 2019
Laine isnt getting traded anytime soon. Chevy will drag this out until he gets a excellent return. Now that laine will play with a legit center all year he should be able to increase his trade value significantly. Right now is a horrible time to trade him imo

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laine isnt getting traded anytime soon. Chevy will drag this out until he gets a excellent return. Now that laine will play with a legit center all year he should be able to increase his trade value significantly. Right now is a horrible time to trade him imo

I’m really not sure if 35y C is really legit center, and how much support will the forwards get from that blueline

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I’m really not sure if 35y C is really legit center, and how much support will the forwards get from that blueline
While he is 35, he is also a phenomenal playmaker and has proved he can play to his lines strengths which is a great partner for Laine.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
While he is 35, he is also a phenomenal playmaker and has proved he can play to his lines strengths which is a great partner for Laine.

At this point he’s looking like a max 50 point player

They all get old at some point

Reactions: hn777

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Best center we could get when nobody wants to sign here because of the severe winter weather.

This is why it is not a good idea to move out our star players we drafted because they can not be replaced at all because we can't sign big name free agents because we are on the no trade list for many star players.

That is why Laine is not getting moved and we brought in Stastny to play with him and Ehlers.
If people think about it is pretty obvious.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
From Buffalo: Serious Sam Reinhart, not-that-Rasmus Ristolainen and a 2022 2nd.

:eek2:

Best value so far

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I still believe that the odds of him being traded are unrealistic, i'm still abit worried about the lockertoom rumors though.. All of this still might have a negiative effect on him if he don't get traded.

hockeyisforkids

Dec 3, 2009
but is he a winning player. Something Laine hasn’t proven to be yet. He scored a lot. But does he make his team one that wins? That’s TBD. He’s a limited player outside his elite scoring. It’s a great trick for a one trick pony. But he’s not great in possession or defensively. That makes him less valuable than Jets fans care to admit. It’s also a big reason why he’s available. You don’t trade elite young scorers unless they have hair on their game elsewhere. He’s got some liabilities to his game.
What exactly has Pulock won? Unless you've won the cup you've won nothing. Guess they're both losers.. c'mon

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What exactly has Pulock won? Unless you've won the cup you've won nothing. Guess they're both losers.. c'mon
Which is why Pulock is a good base for a trade for Laine. A top 4 D with good two way game. Islanders would need to add. Probably a A- prospect ( K Bellows) and a protected 1st.

Laine did Pulock, the 20th pick in the 2021 draft and Bellows

Last edited:

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Which is why Pulock is a good base for a trade for Laine. A top 4 D with good two way game. Islanders would need to add. Probably a A- prospect ( K Bellows) and a protected 1st.

Laine did Pulock, the 20th pick in the 2021 draft and

Laine for Barzal?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
As a fan who went through the exact same scenario (Drouin in 2016), Laine has to suck it up and play. Winnipeg will not get fair value in a trade for him right now and using his agent to get his way doesn't help his case.

At 22, he's accomplished a lot, but there is so much more growth to come that isn't going to come overnight. There are countless examples where teams have moved on from young players prematurely. These are still pivotal development years, and its in the best interest of the Jets to hold on to him.
Not the exact same scenario at all

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Barzal is more valuable but that’s too much from the jets.
I’m not sure it’s even enough. Barzal is their best player. I’d add Samberg. But islanders say no. He’s just not someone you trade.

gotta aim lower for Laine. He’s not getting a Barzal. Not even with adds.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
RNH (extension in place) + Klefbom + 2021 1st for Laine and Beaulieu.

Trade happens after the Expansion Draft so the Jets don't need to worry about protecting RNH/Klefbom. Hard to project what Winnipeg's lineup would look like that far out (especially considering there's no obvious choice for SEA) but I think it'd be something like this if they went 5/3/1 and Connor/Scheifele/Wheeler/Ehlers/Laine/Morrissey/DeMelo/Pionk/Hellebuyck were protected:

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-RNH-UFA
Perfetti-Copp/UFA if Seattle takes ($3 mill)-Roslovic/UFA if Seattle takes (~$1 mill)
Harkins-Gustafsson-Appleton
Vesalainen Suess

Morrissey-DeMelo
Klefbom-Pionk (~$5 mill)
Heinola-Niku
Stanley/Poolman (if SEA takes one of them)

Hellbuyck
Berdin

Using best guesses for the RFAs and Nuge (expectation is he gets around $6.5-7 mill) that leaves the Jets with around $9-10 million in cap space with Bryan Little on LTIR. That's certainly enough to sign or trade for a top-end winger. The Jets would have a nice blend of future talent in Perfetti/Heinola/Berdin and of course their vet core, with no major piece up for UFA until 2023 at the earliest.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I’m not sure it’s even enough. Barzal is their best player. I’d add Samberg. But islanders say no. He’s just not someone you trade.

Islanders just keep Barzal, they need him more.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
RNH (extension in place) + Klefbom + 2021 1st for Laine and Beaulieu.

Trade happens after the Expansion Draft so the Jets don't need to worry about protecting RNH/Klefbom. Hard to project what Winnipeg's lineup would look like that far out (especially considering there's no obvious choice for SEA) but I think it'd be something like this if they went 5/3/1 and Connor/Scheifele/Wheeler/Ehlers/Copp/Morrissey/DeMelo/Pionk/Hellebuyck were protected:

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-RNH-UFA
Perfetti-Copp-Roslovic/UFA if Seattle takes (~$1 mill)
Harkins-Gustafsson-Appleton
Vesalainen Suess

Morrissey-DeMelo
Klefbom-Pionk (~$5 mill)
Heinola-Niku
Stanley/Poolman (if SEA takes one of them)

Hellbuyck
Berdin

Using best guesses for the RFAs and Nuge (expectation is he gets around $6.5-7 mill) that leaves the Jets with around $9-10 million in cap space with Bryan Little on LTIR. That's certainly enough to sign or trade for a top-end winger. The Jets would have a nice blend of future talent in Perfetti/Heinola/Berdin and of course their vet core, with no major piece up for UFA until 2023 at the earliest.
Nope. The Jets would rather play Perfetti at 2C and no interest in Klefbom until he comes back and proves he can play with no ill effects.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

I agree they wouldn’t move Barzal, but let’s not get carried away about what teir of player he is. He has 1 ppg season 2 years ago. And while I’m not trying to say he isn’t a great player he’s not in a completely different teir, so far away that he’s ungettable with a Laine as the base.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Nope. The Jets would rather play Perfetti at 2C and no interest in Klefbom until he comes back and proves he can play with no ill effects.
I don’t know, I actually think that’s not that bad of a deal, perfetti then slides into Laines spot or takes over 2C and RNH plays wing. I’m a fan of Klefbom though so that may be a part of it

Reactions: DropTheGloves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad