Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The Jets have three years of control on Laine. It doesn’t hurt for Chevy to fish around right now but he’s certainly not dealing in a position of weakness.

Laine is a very marketable player. I’m sure a good deal will land on our plate eventually. No rush at all.
Probably. The only way Peg definitely loses a Laine trade is if you make this offseason. So he needs to be patient. That may become harder given Laine knows he won’t be signing another contract with the Jets.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think that would have to be one helluva +

Laine is on pace for a Hall of Fame career...

Do you really want to be the GM who traded a 22 year old future Hall of Famer in a deal centered around Ryan Pulock?

That has the potential to be a fixture in future discussions regarding the worst trades in NHL history...

That's not to say Pulock isn't a solid player, but he doesn't have Laine's potential for superstardom...

but is he a winning player. Something Laine hasn’t proven to be yet. He scored a lot. But does he make his team one that wins? That’s TBD. He’s a limited player outside his elite scoring. It’s a great trick for a one trick pony. But he’s not great in possession or defensively. That makes him less valuable than Jets fans care to admit. It’s also a big reason why he’s available. You don’t trade elite young scorers unless they have hair on their game elsewhere. He’s got some liabilities to his game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Well Laine is the best young goal scorer in the world so of course there is some value. I hope he is going to Philly somehow.

He's not though and that's part of the problem. To me he's very similar to Tarasenko. Very good players with great skills but then you look at their production and realize it's good but not as good as might be expected or at least what their reputation suggests.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
I imagine the return would not be that great. I think it might be something like Savard+Stenlund/2rd. from CBJ. Nemeth+Nielsen/pick from Detroit. Macdermid/pick+Kempe from Kings. You will do better if you just keep him tbh.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I imagine the return would not be that great. I think it might be something like Savard+Stenlund/2rd. from CBJ. Nemeth+Nielsen/pick from Detroit. Macdermid/pick+Kempe from Kings. You will do better if you just keep him tbh.
you dont think the Jets would even consider trading Laine for any of those combos, do you?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
As a fan who went through the exact same scenario (Drouin in 2016), Laine has to suck it up and play. Winnipeg will not get fair value in a trade for him right now and using his agent to get his way doesn't help his case.

At 22, he's accomplished a lot, but there is so much more growth to come that isn't going to come overnight. There are countless examples where teams have moved on from young players prematurely. These are still pivotal development years, and its in the best interest of the Jets to hold on to him.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
you dont think the Jets would even consider trading Laine for any of those combos, do you?
Savard would help their top4 i’d think, but is Laine a bit too deep price for Savard and a pick or Stenlund? That would be only one that i myself would even remotely consider

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
As a fan who went through the exact same scenario (Drouin in 2016), Laine has to suck it up and play. Winnipeg will not get fair value in a trade for him right now and using his agent to get his way doesn't help his case.

At 22, he's accomplished a lot, but there is so much more growth to come that isn't going to come overnight. There are countless examples where teams have moved on from young players prematurely. These are still pivotal development years, and its in the best interest of the Jets to hold on to him.

Agree, they wouldn't get the value back, but Laine at this point was much more accomplished than Drouin at the time of his trade

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
I'd rather have Laine just sit out the rest of his rights then the jets accept something like that

Reactions: Pongs21

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Agree, they wouldn't get the value back, but Laine at this point was much more accomplished than Drouin at the time of his trade

Not saying the two are comparable value-wise, and Drouin was way more of a diva. But the same concept applies. Player has little leverage due to RFA control, tries to play manager's hand using agent. Trade request negatively impacts player's value, making trade not worthwhile.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
So because there's one player in there that's better at making plays than you had originally thought it discredits the whole post? Weird mentality but you do you.

You're right, it was wrong to single out name. Let's try a few more:

Mikko Koivu - 109

A borderline third liner who is 37 years old and probably on his last NHL contract. Also a center. If this is your best proof, I have bad news for you son.

Jonathan Drouin - 108

A soft, defensively inept winger who is -55 in the last four years. Are you intentionally trying to be hilarious?

Claytin Keller -104

We talk about one and two dimensional players, but Keller may as well have 0. < 50 points the last two years. Even with that said, he still has more assists (102) than Laine the last three years. Weird how you'd use this very specific window of time to make your point.

Alex Debrincat - 85

It's interesting (and by interesting, I mean BS) that you try and slip in a player who has only three seasons under his belt in your four-year sample. The last THREE years, DeBrincat has 86 assists. Laine has 81. GG.

Jeff Skinner - 83

Yes, Jeff Skinner is everyone's model idea of a two-way force who can score as well as he sets up goals.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
but is he a winning player. Something Laine hasn’t proven to be yet. He scored a lot. But does he make his team one that wins? That’s TBD. He’s a limited player outside his elite scoring. It’s a great trick for a one trick pony. But he’s not great in possession or defensively. That makes him less valuable than Jets fans care to admit. It’s also a big reason why he’s available. You don’t trade elite young scorers unless they have hair on their game elsewhere. He’s got some liabilities to his game.

I think it’s more of a function of having four #1 wingers on the team. If we didn’t have Kyle Connor, is this even a discussion? If we had a 1B centre, is this even a discussion? If Laine was willing to sign a team friendly deal like Connor, Ehlers, Schiefele and Morrissey, is this even a discussion?

Yes, Laine should not be classified as a solid two-way player but he is an elite goal scorer, young, and his overall game/engagement actually improved last year quite a bit. I hope it makes sense to keep him... he’s an incredible player.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Unless the offered return is going to make the Jets better no way they move Laine. In the next 10 years Laine could easily score 500+ goals.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Probably. The only way Peg definitely loses a Laine trade is if you make this offseason. So he needs to be patient. That may become harder given Laine knows he won’t be signing another contract with the Jets.

So if he is not signing another contract with the Jets, what then happens?

I'm seriously wondering if you even have a clue how that would work. I will give you a hint, 2025.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Unless the offered return is going to make the Jets better no way they move Laine. In the next 10 years Laine could easily score 500+ goals.
Not a chance. Literally zero chance.
Laine has motivation issues...and likely even attitude issues. And that doesn't even count for injuries which are inevitable over 10 years.

It takes a perfect storm to be able to score 50 in a single season. Doing it for 10 years in a row? Ridiculous.

Ovechkin, widely regarded as the greatest goalscorer of all time, has 572 goals in 15 seasons. He hasn't even been close to 500 goals over a 10 year period.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Laine is a great goal scorer. It’s not easy to score in the NHL, but Laine is one guy who can make it “look” easy. He could definitely score 500.
The only player in the past 20 years who's been able to score 500 in a 10 year span is Ovechkin. Highly doubt Laine manages that feat.

Edit: My mistake, I was looking at 11 years instead of 10 years. So not even Ovechkin has done it.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I'd rather have Laine just sit out the rest of his rights then the jets accept something like that
Sit out? He may be acting like a petulant butt hurt teenager but he isn’t going to sit out for 3 years and lose $20M. As a Jets fan I would be ok with playing him up to the 3rd year TDL and unloading him for a 1st+. We don’t need a couple of years of a marginal player or a handful of magic beans. I enjoy almost every minute of watching him play. Getting a total of 7 years out of him and a TDL return would be fine with me. Then he can sign wherever he chooses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->