Speculation: Laine Mega Thread V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
I agree with this.

He has a lot of talent, but he is a very flawed and limited hockey player. Very one-dimensional. He is a lethal sniper, but what else does he do at even an average level?

He doesn't pass above average. He doesn't play defense above average. He doesn't play physical. There are reasons to believe he might lack 100% work ethic or commitment.

He reminds me of Dany Heatley post-2007, he started to get lazy and rely completely on his shot and one-timer.

Laine could end up being a Hall of Fame player. No doubt about it. But he could also turn into a liability and a very bad contract if some team gives him big money with term.

I thought after his rookie year and sophomore year that he was the type of player you could build your franchise around. I am not sure about that anymore.
physical part and not sure on his puck skills but everything else was said about Ovi until Barry Trotz got a hold of him. Perhaps Islanders get involve on Laine? They don’t have the cap but they do have many assets. The point is he needs a HC who will get him to play D and develop properly.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Is a Finn born in China by Finnish parents Chinese?
They would be both.
And if they would continue living in China until they got drafted to the NHL, they would be able to represent China as they are completely Chinese.

And when it comes to Laine, I hope this debacle gets an ending soon so we can stop arguing about Barkov in Laine's trade thread.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
A three way deal where Buffalo gets Pat Kane, Chicago Pat Laine and the Jets get Dylan Cozens, Kirby Dach and Jeff Skinner.
wow

chicago gives up Kane AND Dach for Laine? how does Chicago pass this up?

seriously, kane is miles better than laine alone and even with the age difference, Dach could easily end up better than Laine too, he was a manchild at 19 in the playoffs. wait until the kid fills out

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think it comes to who Carolina would protect in the expansion draft. Skej isn't one of the defensemen, with Slavin, Pesce and Bean in the mix. Not too mention Dougie Hamilton. Necas has never even sniffed 40, so you are definitely getting the betting scorer. Jarvis is what makes the deal. It's the potential you are trading for immediate scoring help. What's Carolina's window? That's a trade that makes both teams better. You might get 50 goal Laine with Aho, so I don't think it would be a lowball offer.

Zero chance Winnipeg gets Seth Jarvis on top of Necas plus a top-4 D. Carolina is entering their window in the next 2 years. It is absolutely crucial for Cup competitors to have young, cheap, high-end forwards and Necas/Jarvis fit that mold perfectly with the Canes window. How many Cup winners have two $8+ million wingers? Because Svechnikov is better than Laine and about to get paid.

WPG may get Skjei + one of Necas/Jarvis + a smaller add. If I was Carolina though Jarvis wouldn't be on the table. Necas, Bokk, Suzuki, Bean, Geekie, Rees, Puistola, Gunler, etc. would be the chips to deal from. The Canes should hold onto Jarvis.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I agree with this.

He has a lot of talent, but he is a very flawed and limited hockey player. Very one-dimensional. He is a lethal sniper, but what else does he do at even an average level?

He doesn't pass above average. He doesn't play defense above average. He doesn't play physical. There are reasons to believe he might lack 100% work ethic or commitment.

He reminds me of Dany Heatley post-2007, he started to get lazy and rely completely on his shot and one-timer.

Laine could end up being a Hall of Fame player. No doubt about it. But he could also turn into a liability and a very bad contract if some team gives him big money with term.

I thought after his rookie year and sophomore year that he was the type of player you could build your franchise around. I am not sure about that anymore.

Obviously you are just guessing.

1st 2 years you are right.
3rd year he had a recurring back injury end of Dec til season end. Added a groin injury during the playoff. For me he should just have shut himself down.
4th year he is doing the team asked him to do. It will lower your goal scoring output but his assist went up.
Next 2 years we shall see :)
He will be 22 start of next season

RadekBong

Sep 27, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Well he was eligible to play for Russia also. Barkov is kind of like Brett Hull in a way. He's a US citizen, but many in the US consider him a Canadian. Also, bringing up Tampere doesn't help your argument as that is a very controversial city from a historical perspective.

Anyway back to Laine. Seems like they're trying to trade him to Columbus or Philadelphia right now. Columbus would be the much better fit and Laine would most likely score more there. Giroux and Voracek are pretty much done as star players and Laine wouldn't have much support there to work with. But Philadelphia would still be a lot better than Winnipeg...

What?

SoftDump

Sep 25, 2020

Hey bud fantastic timing w the hype vid. Might be time to post all those Pattie stats as well. Did Pattie ever explain why he threw B Litts under the bus? I don't know about you but I'm very disappointed, Patties still got the shithouse attitude now going into early 20s.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Hey bud fantastic timing w the hype vid. Might be time to post all those Pattie stats as well. Did Pattie ever explain why he threw B Litts under the bus? I don't know about you but I'm very disappointed, Patties still got the shithouse attitude now going into early 20s.

:laugh:

The Little issue,
This was explained actually by other posters few hours ago in the Laine thread in the Jets page.
You can find your way around :)

Its too bad you are dissapointed , i'm not .
You are affected by a player of a team you don't cheer for.

Its not Pattie stats anymore, his stat is actually pretty good. People moved in with another agenda :D you need to keep up ;)

:thumbu:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is there any concern in Winnipeg that Laine will sit out until he’s traded? If not, then don’t trade him.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Many players have dual citizenship. Hull is canadian. Born and raised and trained.

If memory serves he plays for the US because he couldn’t make team Canada.

and good for him. 4th best goal scorer of all time. He went where he could play.

Edit. I think it’s mostly about “hockey lineage”.

like Danny heatley was born In Germany. He played his whole life in Canada. When we think about German hockey players we don’t compare drai to heatley.

When talking about the best US all time greats. It’s generally about players who grew up In their system.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Winnipeg:
Jonathan Huberdeau
Aaron Ekblad

Florida:
Patrik Laine
Jack Roslovic
Neal Pionk

I think Perreault could be moved to a last-place team in another proposal to get a good cap room. Or even included in this one, just for those curious about cap problems for the Jets end.

Jets fans going to be disappointed once Laine is gone

Hubs is better player than Laine on hus own

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
We go out and get Paul Stastny for Laine & Ehlers and people actually think that we are moving him out for some scraps.

The trade is not happening.
Laine is a signed RFA. lol

Laine gets at least 7.5mil qualifying offer or even more from arbitrator. 2 seasons to UFA in the flat cap world after the contract expires next summe .

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Is there any concern in Winnipeg that Laine will sit out until he’s traded? If not, then don’t trade him.

We don't even know if he's unhappy at all. The basis of this entire story is pretty weak. My guess is that they were willing to hear some offers, didn't get anything too interesting, and are probably going to proceed as normal.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Absolutely. Almost everyone is under the false impression that Chevy has no choice but to panic and take a lowball offer now. Fortunately, he has up to 3 more years before he needs to do anything, so it isn't likely he'll rush into anything.

You may be of the false impression that the return for Laine will increase if the Jets hold on to him, despite the fact he as made it clear through his agents he would prefer to be moved.

Insider Trading: Patrik Laine, Winnipeg Jets remain poised to part ways - TSN.ca

From Murat Ates:

"
With the NHL returning to last season’s $81.5 million cap, teams are already finding it difficult to do business. Five teams are already over the cap maximum and will need to trim money before the season begins. Only 12 teams have $6.75 million in cap space this season, let alone the $7.5 million qualifying offer that represents the bare minimum for Laine in 2021-22.
Without a full complement of fans in the stands — and without a full, 82-game season — revenues are going down before they go up. I don’t expect the NHL to reduce its $81.5 million cap maximum but I can’t imagine a scenario in which it goes up.
Combine another $81.5 million cap maximum with reduced internal budgets as owners contend with lost revenues and next summer’s transaction market could take a major hit. The pool of teams who can afford to trade for Laine’s $7.5 million — or more, considering that he has arbitration rights — will be much smaller next summer than it is today"

The financial situation will get worse next offseason for potential trade partners, further limiting pontential teams and possible players coming back in return.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
Caps: Vrana and Orlov
Jets: Laine

Caps get the best two 1-2 punches in NHL history with Ovie-Kuz and Laine-Backs.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
It seems to me Laine won’t be traded because the best most teams can do is similar value trades. I understand teams don’t want to give up a prime piece for Laine but that’s where talks are probably stalling.
Honestly, that's how I see the recent statements. Both sides are open to the possibility of a move but also understand the complexity involved and that it won't be overnight. Both parties seem content to sit back and see how things play out and neither side has said anything that indicates the relationship is damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->