Laine+Matthews vs Boeser+Barazal

Laine+Matthews vs Boeser+Barzal

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Barzal's relative xgf% is much better though.

Ignoring PP completely, Barzal produces slightly less primary points in ES but that could mostly be covered by difference in oish%. Matthews might be better, but Barzal is definitely making it a discussion.
That’s primarily because the Isles 3rd and 4th Leafs are atrocious and all their talent is in the top 2 lines. Whereas the Leafs tried to spread the talent among 3 lines until recently.

He has 2 more primary points at 5v5 in 10 less games. I don’t think it’s balanced out by regression when you are talking 10 less games.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Not sure how you can say Matthews is THAT much better than Barzal. Not saying Barzal is the better player, but the play of each player this year certainly dictates the gap isn't as significant as you might claim.
yeah i agree...Barzal is a great player,

but it is fair to Say Matthews >>> Barzal

that being said, Barzal is/will be a #1 Centre, and the islanders will love having him for years to come

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
That’s primarily because the Isles 3rd and 4th Leafs are atrocious and all their talent is in the top 2 lines. Whereas the Leafs tried to spread the talent among 3 lines until recently.

He has 2 more primary points at 5v5 in 10 less games. I don’t think it’s balanced out by regression when you are talking 10 less games.
Matthews is shooting at 19.44% 5vs5. Sheer regression in his own personal shooting percentage will take away a lot of his primary points.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Matthews
Laine

Barzal
Boeser

Imagine if Matthews or Laine had the luxury of playing one-way cherry picking hockey like Barzal does on a team that doesn't even try to play defense. They would both score 50.

Imagine if Matthews had the luxury of outscoring Barzal and/or Boeser so Leaf fans could use that instead of hypotheticals.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
hrmm last time Barzal played the leafs he was -4 and looked lost out there, he is a skilled player but is not anywhere close to the big boys! isles fans are funny!
Nothing like a sample size of 1 to prove your heavily biased opinion.

Amazing that despite not being in their league, Barzal has outproduced all your so called "big boys"

naruto

Nov 13, 2017

Amazing that despite not being in their league, Barzal has outproduced all your so called "big boys"

Leafs big boys actually have to play defense tho. Babcock demands it. And they'll be rewarded with playoffs.

Maybe barzal should think about his game and what he can do to help his team make the playoffs while he's perfecting his golf swing this spring

At least boesers team is supposed to suck so there's not much more he can do

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

yup if babcock let the big 3 play like Weight does on the island they would have way more points, but seeing as the leafs actually care about D and winning games not giving up 465 shots a night lol, im quite happpy with our 2 way play!

Reactions: naruto

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Not really a fair poll, it's obviously Matthews+Laine. However, while this could've been a Toronto/Winnipeg vs Edmonton/Vancouver thing, don't let this distract you from the fact that Peter Chiarelli traded Mat Barzal for Griffin Reinhart and added in the 33rd overall pick.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
yup if babcock let the big 3 play like Weight does on the island they would have way more points, but seeing as the leafs actually care about D and winning games not giving up 465 shots a night lol, im quite happpy with our 2 way play!
Matthews has higher ca/60 and xga/60 than Barzal. Stats do not support Barzal playing run and gun hockey. He's just a damn good hockey player.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Matthews has higher ca/60 and xga/60 than Barzal. Stats do not support Barzal playing run and gun hockey. He's just a damn good hockey player.
gotta love the advanced stats, what auston does day in and day out is that of a franchise center, I bet he will win a selke in the next few years, and will be the Captain of the leafs, Barzal is a nice supporting player but no where close to A matthews come on now lol

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Which duo will have better combined careers?

And yes I know a spelling error in the title :'(

Why ask a poll where you know what the answer will be? It's common knowledge here to not start lopsided polls.

I think most posters know it is Laine-Matthews though I don't think the margin is as big as some may believe.. A better poll would have been which tandem have had better rookie campaigns/seasons. This is far more debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad