Laine goal-drought watch: 15 games (ends 02/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
That's clearly not true because he's having zero impact right now. I don't even notice him most games.
That's because he's not being booked right by Maurice and the Jets. But the opponents still fear Laine and his shot. It's not like they leave him out there without covering him...

Reactions: thegr8one66

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That's because he's not being booked right by Maurice and the Jets. But the opponents still fear Laine and his shot. It's not like they leave him out there without covering him...
Laine doesn't even try to get open.

He's playing like he's pouting, but I'm not sure what he'd be pouting over.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Laine doesn't even try to get open.

He's playing like he's pouting, but I'm not sure what he'd be pouting over.
It's a combination of a lot of different things when it comes to Laine. It seems like everything just goes wrong for the guy. And that eats on him mentally too and that shows in a lack of effort from Laine's side. The only thing that has kept Laine alive so far is raw talent. 4th youngest player to reach 100 career goals, but now it seems like he's heading down the Nail Yakupov, Patrick Stefan and Alexandre Daigle career path. Some of that is on Laine but a lot of that is on the Jets and Paul Maurice... :(

Reactions: Mbraunm

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
There is really no rational explanation for Laine's lack of production. Winnipeg fans should be seriously concerned.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
He’s getting 10 minutes per game cause he’s not been playing well, not the other way around.
Hard to play well when Maurice is holding you back. Only 5 guys in the League have more powerplay goals than Laine this season. But Laine is still forced to be on the 2nd powerplay unit. Jets and Maurice don't even want to use Laine on the only place he's been good. At this point either Maurice or Laine has got to go. No point in the Jets keeping both, because they clearly don't get along.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
It is time to seriously wonder about what's going on with Laine. He's a different player. His lack of production, and lack of... everything, is very odd. With his talent, he should be producing without really trying. Is he trying at all? In the games I've seen, he's invisible.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
It is time to seriously wonder about what's going on with Laine. He's a different player. His lack of production, and lack of... everything, is very odd. With his talent, he should be producing without really trying. Is he trying at all? In the games I've seen, he's invisible.
He's playing too much Fortnite...

In all seriousness though, you do have to wonder if that is actually an issue. He really doesn't seem to have his head in the hockey game at all.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Hard to play well when Maurice is holding you back. Only 5 guys in the League have more powerplay goals than Laine this season. But Laine is still forced to be on the 2nd powerplay unit. Jets and Maurice don't even want to use Laine on the only place he's been good. At this point either Maurice or Laine has got to go. No point in the Jets keeping both, because they clearly don't get along.

Since December Laine is 21st in power play minutes, 45th in power play minutes per game, during this time he has 1 power play goal and 2 assists. During this time span 242 players have had 1 or more goals on the power play, 213 players have 2 or more assists, 217 have 3 or more power play points.

Laine was getting tons of power play time until recently and has done absolutely nothing with it since before December, that is why he is no longer on first power play unit.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Teams have realized that all he has is his shot. If you don't let him get that shot off, he is not going to hurt you.

Reactions: binop7

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Teams have realized that all he has is his shot. If you don't let him get that shot off, he is not going to hurt you.

He's been a very capable playmaker previously so maybe if the shot is being mitigated he ramps up that part of the game as an adjustment?

Nov 24, 2006
Love posts like these. Everyone is to blame for Laine except Laine. LMAO, watch the games and see for yourself.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

I am kind of getting sick of this excuse.

I could see that point being made if he was getting chances and just not scoring but his all around game is just garbage right now.

He's not skating. He's not hustling. He's losing EVERY SINGLE puck battle against the boards. You don't just keep throwing a guy out there who's not competing.

Thing is, he has shown glimpses of his old compete level....and he's looked REALLY good when he has. I don't give a shit about his goal scoring drought. I give a shit about how bad he looks during it. It would be one thing if he was snake bitten but he's just not moving.

Roslovic played his ass off and got moved up to that line...and has looked really good. Him and Little work well together. I am done saying that it's Little that's holding him back.

I say this as someone who's not worried about Laine. I know he's going to get out of this funk at some point but until then, I am done shifting the blame on everyone else.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

This take is garbage. When he's on his game, he's a player that's fully capable of being a multi-pronged threat. His shot just happens to be his deadliest weapon.

As of right now though....he has no weapons.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

It's all mental with the kid right now. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the highs are VERY high and lows are VERY low.

He is a player that rides the waves of confidence. If his confidence is low, he's too busy feeling down on himself. When his confidence is up, he's a machine out there.

Reactions: Fixxer

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Every other young player is putting in extra time to up their game. If you're spending xx hours playing Fortnite, while everyone else is levelling up IRL, this is the natural result.. which is frustrating given that I drafted him pretty early in my pool. :/

Read the Darryl Belfry account of how Matthews worked extensively to rework his shot from the ground up (even though he has an amazing shot already) and how he worked with other premier NHL talents like Patrick Kane to identify ways to improve his game at that same camp. Matthews wants to be an all-time great, and he's putting in time.

Talent can only bring you so far in the NHL. You've got to work hard to excel.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
This take is garbage. When he's on his game, he's a player that's fully capable of being a multi-pronged threat. His shot just happens to be his deadliest weapon.

As of right now though....he has no weapons.
Truth hurts. Even at his best he is significantly less dynamic than most other young stars in the league. He doesn't create a ton of offense with the puck on his stick, he's really good at finding the soft spots and getting open though. When he's confident he is one of the best in the league at that.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I am kind of getting sick of this excuse.

I could see that point being made if he was getting chances and just not scoring but his all around game is just garbage right now.

He's not skating. He's not hustling. He's losing EVERY SINGLE puck battle against the boards. You don't just keep throwing a guy out there who's not competing.

Thing is, he has shown glimpses of his old compete level....and he's looked REALLY good when he has. I don't give a **** about his goal scoring drought. I give a **** about how bad he looks during it. It would be one thing if he was snake bitten but he's just not moving.

Roslovic played his ass off and got moved up to that line...and has looked really good. Him and Little work well together. I am done saying that it's Little that's holding him back.

I say this as someone who's not worried about Laine. I know he's going to get out of this funk at some point but until then, I am done shifting the blame on everyone else.
For Laine to really work he needs to have 4 hard working linemates that can move the puck quickly, deliver hits and create space for Laine. Laine's job is to shoot and float around inbetwen looking for that sweet spot to shoot from. You shouldn't have Laine getting into board battles. He needs to put on another 20 lbs of muscles before he can win those...

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Truth hurts. Even at his best he is significantly less dynamic than most other young stars in the league. He doesn't create a ton of offense with the puck on his stick, he's really good at finding the soft spots and getting open though. When he's confident he is one of the best in the league at that.

And this hot take is from watching how many Jets games in the past 3 seasons?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
For Laine to really work he needs to have 4 hard working linemates that can move the puck quickly, deliver hits and create space for Laine. Laine's job is to shoot and float around inbetwen looking for that sweet spot to shoot from. You shouldn't have Laine getting into board battles. He needs to put on another 20 lbs of muscles before he can win those...

Then we are literally grooming him into being a one trick pony. That's....that's just pure insanity.

"For Laine to really work he needs to have 4 hard working linemates that can move the puck quickly, deliver hits and create space for Laine."

That's an alright system but it's also a HUGE problem. If we are going to pay him 10+ mil a year, he better damn well have more than one tool in the toolbox. You don't pay that much money to have someone just stand there and swing. If he wanted to do that, he should have picked up golf.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
that is some fetish you have about Mr. Laines' video playing.

isn't there a leaf thread somewhere that you discuss when Matthews has a solid crap after all the painkillers he has had to take?

Poster isn't even a Leafs fan, they're quite clearly a Jets fan. Seems like you're the one with a weird Leafs/Matthews fetish though.

Besides, most of the hot-takers on our board are too busy hating on Matthews right now to talk about Laine. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad