Laine goal-drought watch: 15 games (ends 02/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Crapping on Laine would be sad to me except there are the Jets fans who consistently scream "HE's 20 aNd on PAcE foR 40!"

He's been in the league 3 years, hasn't improved in the things he's bad at, and has regressed horribly at the one thing he's good at. I like Laine, I want him to be good, but that age and pace argument are trash at this point.
He's actually improved quite a bit defensively and in his board play. It's just that no one noticed how bad he was at board battles before because he didn't get into them. He's starting to battle more, which is good to see.

He's still improving. His skating needs to improve by leaps and bounds before it's really noticeable though. But thinking he's done at this point is extremely premature. If he's still playing like this in a few years, we can say he never developed.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
He will score around 5 more goals this season. He doesn't deserve the ice time he gets. Neither does he deserve the powerplay time he gets. I'm very happy he isn't part of the Oilers. He would be our worst player, saying that from already having one of the worst teams in the NHL. I wouldn't even offer Lucic, neither Rieder for him. Look at all the chances he gets. Rieder would have much more points than him, if he would be playing there instead of Laine. Screenshot my post, in two years at latest, Laine will be considered as the biggest bust of his draft year. Who needs a player that plays good for a month and then just entirely stops performing. When he is on the ice during a 5vs5, it is almost like their opponent has a power play. I don't have any personal hate against Laine, nor do I have any hate towards the Jets. I'm German. I don't really have a favourite NHL team. He plays with 0 effort, keeps making bad plays, doesn't play any kind of defense and doesn't add any offense to the team. Look at his assists. That is something you would expect from a 4th liner, not someone who sees such a heavy amount of TOI.
:laugh: You say your not a fan of any team but then say i'm glad he's not part of the Oilers :laugh: You wouldn't trade Lucic for Laine :laugh: And now you know why Edmonton is a horribly run hockey franchise because they might agree with you . :laugh:

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I've got no way of knowing but is he actually playing a crapload of Fortnite during the slump? More or less than usual? Or is there not any way to actually tell?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Feb 23, 2017
I've got no way of knowing but is he actually playing a crapload of Fortnite during the slump? More or less than usual? Or is there not any way to actually tell?

He played more Fortnite during his crazy November than any other month starting from October.

Besides that, even summing every single match from October to the end of January and assuming that an average fortnite game takes ~7,5 minutes (a win lasts roughly 20 minutes but his win% is less than 15% so it's a fair, if even a bit high estimation I think), the estimate would total up to: (7.5 min*1457 matches) =~182 total hours spent on fortnite from October to January, which averages to 45 hours per month or 1.5 hours per day (so more on off days, less on game days, more some months and less on others)

You can see his monthly Fortnite stats on this page:
Nalle_Puh29's Fortnite Tracker Profile

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
He will score around 5 more goals this season. He doesn't deserve the ice time he gets. Neither does he deserve the powerplay time he gets. I'm very happy he isn't part of the Oilers. He would be our worst player, saying that from already having one of the worst teams in the NHL. I wouldn't even offer Lucic, neither Rieder for him. Look at all the chances he gets. Rieder would have much more points than him, if he would be playing there instead of Laine. Screenshot my post, in two years at latest, Laine will be considered as the biggest bust of his draft year. Who needs a player that plays good for a month and then just entirely stops performing. When he is on the ice during a 5vs5, it is almost like their opponent has a power play. I don't have any personal hate against Laine, nor do I have any hate towards the Jets. I'm German. I don't really have a favourite NHL team. He plays with 0 effort, keeps making bad plays, doesn't play any kind of defense and doesn't add any offense to the team. Look at his assists. That is something you would expect from a 4th liner, not someone who sees such a heavy amount of TOI.
All those years of struggling has really taken a tole on you I see. Im seriously concerned for your state of mind my friend. You are delusional.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Is this post serious?

As an Oilers fan, you should know that he would be your third best player immediately. Regardless of his slump, the Oilers are a tire-fire. His abilities would make a world of difference on your team. He's a young guy and he's slumping. Was he overhyped when he entered the league? Maybe. Is he a bad player? Not at all.

Reactions: NiftyMits

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He played more Fortnite during his crazy November than any other month starting from October.

Besides that, even summing every single match from October to the end of January and assuming that an average fortnite game takes ~7,5 minutes (a win lasts roughly 20 minutes but his win% is less than 15% so it's a fair, if even a bit high estimation I think), the estimate would total up to: (7.5 min*1457 matches) =~182 total hours spent on fortnite from October to January, which averages to 45 hours per month or 1.5 hours per day (so more on off days, less on game days, more some months and less on others)

Thanks for the summary I've been too busy this morning to figure that out myself because I'm not a Fortnite player. If the numbers are right and it's not even 2 hours a day I wouldn't say he has a problem

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Laine reminds me of Mario Lemieux
Well I guess if you think all Mario was, was a big bodied goal scorer.

In Lemieux's first 3 seasons his stats were
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Lemieux had 28, 58, and 36 more points than his next closest teammate. Laine has had 18, 21, and currently 31 less points than Blake Wheeler.
In his 2nd season Lemieux scored the most power play points ever in a season with 17 goals and 48 assists beating the 55 points Gretzky had in 81-82.
In his first 3 season Lemieux's power play totals were 47 goals and 88 assists.
His even strength totals were 98 goals and 115 assists.
Lemieux was 34th, 12th, and 8th(missed 17 games likely finishes 2nd) in shots on goal.

Lemieux clearly controlled the power play with nearly 2 assists per goal he scored on it, Laine has 40 goals and 19 assists on the power play he is used for his shot on the power play.

Lemieux despite having really poor teammates still manages to have more assists than goals at even strength, Laine has 65 even strength goals and 46 assists.

Despite creating lots of goals Lemieux has ranked higher amongst his peers in shots than Laine who has ranked 55th, 30th, and 17th.

Pittsburgh placed 2nd last, 15th(21 teams), and 14th while Winnipeg has placed 20th, 2nd, and currently 4th in the standings.

Saying Laine reminds you of Mario leaves out the fact that Lemieux was controlling and driving his teams offense, it ignores the fact that he had incredible passing, vision, and hockey iq, and ignores the fact Lemieux was put onto a horrible team.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

Nobody cares about facts my friend. HE'S AN ADDICTTTTT

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
but inquiring minds want to know.....

my top 3 are.....

will Matthews ever score more than 70 points in a season?

will wee willy nylander ever be a player worth 7 mil a season?

and when will laine score again.

I think laine will score many times in the future years.

nostrils and kneelander may never come around
I don't understand why Laine going through growing pains makes you wonder if Matthews will ever score more than 70 in a season. His pace over the past two years where he has missed some games has him at 86 last year and 94 this year pace wise. I think you can safely say he will score over 70 points in a season. And what do you mean about him having to 'come around'? He has 47 points in 41 games so far this season. Hardly struggling.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Can jets fans give us some clarity?

Does he look bad? Is he playing ok but not getting chances? Injuried? What’s up

He is the kind of guy who rides the highes very high and the lows very low.

He's not playing anywhere close to how he was before.

Then, we he gets himself together mentally, he can score 18 goals in a month.

It's all mental.

As of late, he's looked terrible. Not only not scoring but coasting and losing every single puck battle.

From time to time you get glimpses of what he was before: way more hustle, stronger puck battles, RIPPIN IT!, etc

I am not worried because I am sure he will find his game again....until then....eeeesh

Reactions: SI90

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Crapping on Laine would be sad to me except there are the Jets fans who consistently scream "HE's 20 aNd on PAcE foR 40!"

He's been in the league 3 years, hasn't improved in the things he's bad at, and has regressed horribly at the one thing he's good at. I like Laine, I want him to be good, but that age and pace argument are trash at this point.

Buddy....he's 20 and on pace for 40 goals.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I don't understand why Laine going through growing pains makes you wonder if Matthews will ever score more than 70 in a season. His pace over the past two years where he has missed some games has him at 86 last year and 94 this year pace wise. I think you can safely say he will score over 70 points in a season. And what do you mean about him having to 'come around'? He has 47 points in 41 games so far this season. Hardly struggling.
Well there's only 27 games left and if you take a look at Matthews' last 27 games he's put up 9+15=24 Points. A similar performance to end the season would give Matthews 33+38=71 Points. As a fellow Leafs fan I know it's hard to admit that Matthews has flaws. But we should wait and see how he ends the regular season before we celebrate. Hopefully Matthews will bring it and break 80 Points this season.

Laine on the other hand needs to get rid of Maurice or hope for a trade, if he wants to turn this around...

Reactions: thegr8one66

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Laine going through growing pains
I got curious just how much he has had growing pains and found these statistics:

2016, June, pre-draft combine
6' 3" / 192,4 cm

2019 NHL statistics (not sure when they measure these, but probably before the season starts):
6' 5" / 195,5 cm

That doesn't sound like it would cause much growing pain literally or mentally. But then again, Puljujärvi in 2016 (right after the WJC scoring win) was 6' 2" / 191 cm and in 2019 is 6' 4" / 195 cm, which is almost identical growth.

Reactions: smitty10

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
This will only help the Jets in negotiations. Deep down Chevy is liking this.
I honestly doubt that.
It's more likely he would prefer consistency from Laine as it would lend confidence to all the contract term options available to be negotiated with him. Not to mention the other difficult decisions regarding the pending cap squeeze and roster decisions he'll be forced into making as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->