Laine + Ehlers vs Matthews + Nylander

Which Duo is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Someone should give this guy the most biased homer award. I can taste the salt for real.

It's not Laine's fault that Matthews can't stay in one piece. :laugh:

Your one of those dopes who goes into every thread voting for the Finn. And posted this gem when Matthews was injured, laughing about it, which should make you despised amongst all hockey fans.

The guy is injury prone machine this season:laugh:

It’s not Matthews fault he’s the better hockey player either.. oh wait, it is.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
that isn't how it works. it isn't how it worked last year and it's not how it works this year

you don't get to pick and choose what you want to believe based off some fantasy world that doesn't exist

btw laine has a higher gpg and more goals

How it worked last year is Laine lost the Calder not because he trailed Matthews in point (which is what some Laine fans believe), but because Matthews was by far the better player (which the voting reflects). It was widely agreed on HF, in the Calder thread, that Laine would need to outscore Matthews by upwards of 10 points to even have a shot.

What fantasy world? Only 8 or so games ago Matthews was ahead on points and GPG% in less games after already suffering two injuries. Laine has caught up and passed him because Matthews is injured. These are both facts.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
How it worked last year is Laine lost the Calder not because he trailed Matthews in point (which is what some Laine fans believe), but because Matthews was by far the better player (which the voting reflects). It was widely agreed on HF, in the Calder thread, that Laine would need to outscore Matthews by upwards of 10 points to even have a shot.

What fantasy world? Only 8 or so games ago Matthews was ahead on points and GPG% in less games after already suffering two injuries. Laine has caught up and passed him because Matthews is injured. These are both facts.

being the better isn't directly to having a better rookie season

rookie seasons are basically an art ross trophy for rookies to a certain extent

but that isn't what I was saying anyways

laine is also tied for lead in goals
he's not even competing with Matthews for anything

laine's team is ahead on points and he's tied in the league for goals
he's competing for a rocket trophy and competing for 1st in the central division

and Matthews doesn't have a higher gpg now does he?

just like last year laine was ahead on those stats too and laine then got injured

you sound hypocritical if you're gonna try and use those arguments and ignore those arguments from last year

the fact is laine is ahead in gpg and actually has more goals
that's the reality
your arguing isn't going to change that

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
You call me a kid yet fail to see that A: the results will be flawed regardless because there are poster who will vote for Laine for the same reasons some people voted for Donald Trump. That is not to support him so much as disliking his opposition even more.

B: Even baring that occurring, which will happen, what insight are you hoping to glean, that each fan base preferences the kid their team drafted? ‘mazing stuff.

C; It matters because you’re ignoring the playing field when it was level and are using a hot-streak, and the regency bias that accompanies, it to reach some kind of conclusion. It’s complete stupidity.

Yes, clearly the only reason anyone would take Laine over Matthews is just to be contrary and not because they think a game changing winger can be more valuable to a team than a center just by relative positional value.

As others have mentioned, this poll is already skewed just because the actual poll should be Ehlers / Laine vs Marner /Nylander. A more accurate Matthews comparable would be vs Schieffle. Half the Leafs duo voters have already stated that what swung the value was position, not relative skill levels

Reactions: wabagee

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Odd poll. As a Jets fan I cant vote for the Toronto pair. Also, comparing a C and a W to 2 Wingers certainly favours Toronto (IMO).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A few Leafs voted in the Neutral fan part.I got to laugh when they do that.Trying to deceive the homerism.

I always purposely do that because the idea of “neutral fans” is nonsensical.

Every sports fan has their own biases, whether or not they want to admit them is another matter.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I think Ottawa actually has more fans then you...

Infographic: Canada's favourite NHL team by region, generation, sex - Sportsnet.ca

SN-CAN-NHL-TEAM.jpg

Just be thankful you didn't live within driving distance of Toronto or it would be worse than it already is.

If you don't want to come across as obvious...maybe start making comparison threads with great players from smaller markets?

Otherwise I look at it as inferiority complex coming out because our fans cheer "go leafs go" in your barn fairly loudly...and it's annoying.
The f*** does this have to do with anything?

Yes they're are more Leafs fans in Canada than there are Jets fans, you want a medal?

I've been to the game against the Leafs every year since the Jets have been back. There's usually about 1000 Leaf fans there, congrats. Before this year they never had much to cheer for cause we always pumped them.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Yes, clearly the only reason anyone would take Laine over Matthews is just to be contrary and not because they think a game changing winger can be more valuable to a team than a center just by relative positional value.

As others have mentioned, this poll is already skewed just because the actual poll should be Ehlers / Laine vs Marner /Nylander. A more accurate Matthews comparable would be vs Schieffle. Half the Leafs duo voters have already stated that what swung the value was position, not relative skill levels

Why swing to the extreme, did I say that was the only reason, a significant one even? But unless your new to the site it’s pretty well known the Leafs have a sizeable following of trolls who habitually vote/post against their players whenever possible.

A more accurate comparable would be the kid on Buffalo who plays the same position, in the same division, and is of the same range of age, talent and pedigree. These Jets/Leafs polls and threads are always coming from Finnish Laine fans, and reek of insecurity.

Edit: Now 3 polls about Laine-Matthews going, lol. Their obsessed.

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The **** does this have to do with anything?

Yes they're are more Leafs fans in Canada than there are Jets fans, you want a medal?

I've been to the game against the Leafs every year since the Jets have been back. There's usually about 1000 Leaf fans there, congrats. Before this year they never had much to cheer for cause we always pumped them.

I want you to stop showcasing your inferiority complex by the continuation of comparing your team to our team and your players to our players. (when really only 4 points separates us, not that it matters...even if we were in last place and you won the Stanley cup, we would still get more press and attention than you)

I get it. It steams you that for the first time in...well...history. Winnipeg actually has a decent enough team to make splashes in the playoffs and yet you are still and always will be, overshadowed by the blue and white.

But their are 29 other teams out there with amazing players. You don't need to focus on us, because I assure you that we are not focused in on you in the least bit.

You can hand over that medal to your nearest leaf fan/neighbor. We are not hard to find. We are pretty much everywhere.

;)

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

In the end the Calder voters gave Matthews 164 out 167 1st place votes. So it was a landslide win for Matthews despite all the other factors Laine's fans said the voters would keep in mind, even though a lot of it was fictional stats if he played all 82 games.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That’s funny because I haven’t heard it once in the MTS Centre...
I remember during the season opener between the Leafs and Jets this past season in Winnipeg when Toronto won 7-2, the Leafs fans in attendance were pretty loud with a Go Leafs Go chant.

Now don't take that personal because the Leafs fans always show up when they play against any of the other Canadian teams in their arenas.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
68 Goals > 42 Goals i would take the duo with 68 goals this season but its close.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Stop comparing us to small market teams please.

Stick with Rangers, Boston, Chicago...Montreal...
We cant yet....you see, all of these teams have won a cup since the start of the 90s. Last time you guys did, the hippies were taking over San Francisco

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why swing to the extreme, did I say that was the only reason, a significant one even? But unless your new to the site it’s pretty well known the Leafs have a sizeable following of trolls who habitually vote/post against their players whenever possible.

A more accurate comparable would be the kid on Buffalo who plays the same position, in the same division, and is of the same range of age, talent and pedigree. These Jets/Leafs polls and threads are always coming from Finnish Laine fans, and reek of insecurity.

Edit: Now 3 polls about Laine-Matthews going, lol. Their obsessed.
At least when others compared Matthews to Eichel it made more sense. Both are American, their position is at centre and both play in the same division. If anything that's our modern day Crosby vs Ovechkin.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I want you to stop showcasing your inferiority complex by the continuation of comparing your team to our team and your players to our players. (when really only 4 points separates us, not that it matters...even if we were in last place and you won the Stanley cup, we would still get more press and attention than you)

I get it. It steams you that for the first time in...well...history. Winnipeg actually has a decent enough team to make splashes in the playoffs and yet you are still and always will be, shadowed by the blue and white.

But their are 29 other teams out there with amazing players. You don't need to focus on us, because I assure you that we are not focused in on you in the least bit.

You can hand over that medal to your nearest leaf fan/neighbor. We are not hard to find. We are pretty much everywhere.

;)
Between this poll question, the other poll question asking once again between Matthews vs Laine and all the regular Laine threads since he scored 40 goals, it's gone crazy. People like to say Leafs fans on HF can't stop hyping our own players, however I have not seen so many Laine related threads pop up so fast.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

I get it. It steams you that for the first time in...well...history. Winnipeg actually has a decent enough team to make splashes in the playoffs and yet you are still and always will be, shadowed by the blue and white.

;)
I didn't make this thread, I have never made a thread comparing them and I regularly post that Matthews is better and posted in this thread saying that I would take the two leafs players.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad