Laine + Ehlers vs Matthews + Nylander

Which Duo is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Toronto duo pretty easily here

As expected the votes will be inaccurate due to the Leaf hatred on HF but objective observers can see they are CLEARLY above the Jets duo here

laine = 41 goal and 65 points in 70 games

ehlers = 27 goals and 53 points in 70 games

Matthews = 28 goals and 50 points in 53 games

nylander = 14 goals and 50 points in 69 games

laine + ehlers = 68 goals 118 points in 140 games

Matthews + nylander = 42 goals and 100 points in 122 games

clearly ahead

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
(Warning lengthy post) Buffalo fan saying leafs duo if i'm starting a franchise winnipeg duo for buffalo and as much attention matthews gets i feel he'll always be in the top 10 for goals and steal a rocket/ross a couple times along with a hart and be a selke finalist a majority of his career and win it a few times and laine is a tremendous player himself i feel he is gonna take over as the best goal scorer in the nhl once ovi's scoring ability declines and laine's improves i see him scoring 60 once maybe twice and 50 multiple times both will be among the very best of their generation as for nylander and ehlers i think its pretty close either one can take off and the other stangnate or each keep getting better continuing on developing into elite talents competing for top 10 at the wing position

Reactions: Kelly

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
It's funny. I'm pretty sure that most Jets fans, looking back at the Matthews/Laine draft, would pick Laine over Matthews if they had the option. He fits their team better, as they already have Scheifele and now Stastny.

Maple Leafs fans are in a similar spot, quite happy with the guy they got.

Yet Jets fans aren't happy that Toronto took Matthews and left them Laine. They aren't content with their superstar who loves their team and their city. Why is there this continuous attack on Matthews and Toronto? They did you a favour. You are better off for it. What difference does it make to compare them so much now?

I guess it's similar to the Ovie/Crosby thing. They'll always be compared. But it just seems like there's so much piss and vinegar from one side that I just don't understand. Toronto and Winnipeg both won in that draft.

No man I as a Jets fan love the fact we got Laine and with current info on Laine today I would had picked him 10/10 times as a Jets fan over Matthews(needs for the wing, more skill and excellent depth all around due to him) for the Jets team.

I just hate the fact that people say it’s laughable to think Laine is better regardless of Laines performance and show up to Laine related threads saying Matthews is better and comparing the two for no reason. Anyways both are great...

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Nylander has been struggling without Matthews. I don't think he's as good as the other 3 but Matthews is also a clear step above all of them imo. Hard call, will probably take the one with Matthews.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
No man I as a Jets fan love the fact we got Laine and with current info on Laine today I would had picked him 10/10 times as a Jets fan over Matthews(needs for the wing, more skill and excellent depth all around due to him) for the Jets team.

I just hate the fact that people say it’s laughable to think Laine is better regardless of Laines performance and show up to Laine related threads saying Matthews is better and comparing the two for no reason. Anyways both are great...

You got to be kidding, there’s like 6 threads going on about Matthews right now, every one of them started by a Laine/Jets fan.

The Laine thread about him scoring 40 (which preceded all these polls) was filled with you guys bringing up Matthews to trash him. And you wait until Laine is on a hot streak to do it, a month ago not one of you was talking smack.

This is very much a one sided obsession, Laine doesn’t get brought up at all by Leafs fans but twice a year when the teams play each other.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Nylander has been struggling without Matthews. I don't think he's as good as the other 3 but Matthews is also a clear step above all of them imo. Hard call, will probably take the one with Matthews.

He hasn’t been struggling, he’s been playing Center which is a more demanding position (especially under Babcock) and will put a dip in most players numbers. And he is very much on Ehlers level, but imo he isn’t a driver of offence in the same way Marner or Matthews are (he’s like Ehlers and Laine that way).

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
You got to be kidding, there’s like 6 threads going on about Matthews right now, every one of them started by a Laine/Jets fan.

The Laine thread about him scoring 40 (which preceded all these polls) was filled with you guys bringing up Matthews to trash him. And you wait until Laine is on a hot streak to do it, a month ago not one of you was talking smack.

This is very much a one sided obsession, Laine doesn’t get brought up at all by Leafs fans but twice a year when the teams play each other.

uhhhhh

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
No he hasn't. He's been a really strong possession player with horrible puck luck.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Why is Matthews here? This is so unfair to the Jets duo. Switch Matthews for Marner and I still take the Leafs duo.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

As expected the votes will be inaccurate due to the Leaf hatred on HF but objective observers can see they are CLEARLY above the Jets duo here

Explain please. I think most objective observers would at least admit that it's a close call, and not one duo is "CLEARLY" superior.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Second or third season with bad puck luck ? Hmm..
It still baffles me nylander cant bury them at a higher rate...he has a deadly shot and can snipe it but it just seem to happend once in a blue moon compared to his competition...its weird

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
It still baffles me nylander cant bury them at a higher rate...he has a deadly shot and can snipe it but it just seem to happend once in a blue moon compared to his competition...its weird
Yep.. his sh% in 173 games is 10.7

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Yep.. his sh% in 173 games is 10.7
How many shots? 22 goals in rookie season and 15 now? So something like 346 shots if im not misstaken ?

If anyone is interested in the maths part you add 22 and 15 goals = 37 then divide that by 10.7% (0.107)

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'll take the Jets. Had Laine ahead of Matthews even before the draft, but what surprises me here is Nylander. I've always been pretty high on him (and ahead of Ehlers) but based on this season's performance I'm no longer sure I'd pick him over Nikolaj as I originally did. Maybe Ehlers has surpassed him or Nylander is having some kind of slump and has trouble figuring out his game w/o Matthews. Either way, Jets all the way.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I think Laine+Marner would put up the most points out of the youngsters we talk about.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
How many shots? 22 goals in rookie season and 15 now? So something like 346 shots if im not misstaken ?

If anyone is interested in the maths part you add 22 and 15 goals = 37 then divide that by 10.7% (0.107)
205 + 148 = 352. And actually his careeer sh% is 10.6

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016

Well and also the fact that most Leaf fans vote as "neutral fans" to try and skew results in their favor. For that reason the Jets duo wins.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I'll take the Jets. Had Laine ahead of Matthews even before the draft, but what surprises me here is Nylander. I've always been pretty high on him (and ahead of Ehlers) but based on this season's performance I'm no longer sure I'd pick him over Nikolaj as I originally did. Maybe Ehlers has surpassed him or Nylander is having some kind of slump and has trouble figuring out his game w/o Matthews. Either way, Jets all the way.
Nylander has been playing C during Matthews absence. Adjusting to other teams matching their top centres up against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad