Laine’s off-season training (see warning in post 832)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Let’s continue the bickering in a separate thread. Last post:

Patrik Laine himoaa henkilökohtaista palkintoa NHL:ssä – "Valehtelisin, jos väittäisin, ettenkö haluaisi voittaa sitä"

That is the link to the latest interview with Laine.
He discusses the way he practices and that he has focus of being at his best at the latter part of the regular season.
That though is not to be discussed here, which I am totally fine with.
But, besides that he also tells that he would have wanted to continue to play with Stastny and that he really wants to win the rocket richard but adding that Stanley Cup of course comes first.
He thinks the Jets will be a consistant contender within the next couple of years because of the young talent the team has.

Ares

May 8, 2018
Live look at Rautala and Laine training session

giphy.gif

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
There are no shortcuts in physical training.
The goal of Laines training is not to be at his "peak" next season, but to make him as good as possible in long term.
All the strength training he does now pays back later. Maybe that is not the best way to train considering only next season, but in long term that is the way to go. Or that's what Laine and the professionals he trains with think at least:nod:

Sure, but I’m not familiar with the concept of young players piggybacking on teammates for half a season in order to advance their own game. Laine is the only one doing that and it will make him look bad, and I think his coaches will have a serious talk with him if he comes to training camp in a bad shape again.

Missing half the season is indicative of a failed camp imho. How would it look like if all young players trained that way?

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
Sure, but I’m not familiar with the concept of young players piggybacking on teammates for half a season in order to advance their own game. Laine is the only one doing that and it will make him look bad, and I think his coaches will have a serious talk with him if he comes to training camp in a bad shape again.

Missing half the season is indicative of a failed camp imho. How would it look like if all young players trained that way?
Laine is 20. Do you expect him to carry his team mates at this point of his career? He has the talent, but he has a lot of training to do before he is ready for that.
Last season people were complaining because he was doing circles instead of stop and go. Well, the reason why he was circling around was that he lacked "dynamite" on his legs.
If he would mainly focus on his skating this summer, he would be better at circling, but his circling isn't the issue is it?

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Laine is 20. Do you expect him to carry his team mates at this point of his career? He has the talent, but he has a lot of training to do before he is ready for that.
Last season people were complaining because he was doing circles instead of stop and go. Well, the reason why he was circling around was that he lacked "dynamite" on his legs.
If he would mainly focus on his skating this summer, he would be better at circling, but his circling isn't the issue is it?

The training may be good for Laine, but I don’t see other 20 year olds coming to camp in bad shape and expect to be carried for half a season. Its not a team thing to do.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Scheifele not wanting to play with Laine?

Last edited:

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
The training may be good for Laine, but I don’t see other 20 year olds coming to camp in bad shape and expect to be carried for half a season. Its not a team thing to do.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Scheifele not wanting to play with Laine?
The bad shape thing is overstated. Laine scored plenty in the practice games. His "bad shape" started when PoMo put him to play with Little. Not that Little would be a bad player, but obviously Laine and Little doesn't mix well together.
And i haven't heard anything from Sheifele that he would have something against playing with Laine. Have you? And if you have, is that a team thing to do?:huh:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Guess there's a reason why Laine don't post pics like this

tumblr_oqgbbdyUOJ1qdsxk9o1_500.png

He's working on his explosiveness. In a few seconds, when he least expects it, a starter pistol will fire and he'll have to leap to his feet, race to the pool, dive in and swim under water for 15 metres, then launch himself towards the bar where his Pina Colada awaits, drain it in 3s flat, then javelin the cocktail stick into a target bin. Over and over again, until his will plumb gives out...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Laine looked sluggish and wasn't moving his feet enough during the first part of the year which was a factor in his first half uneven play. It wasn't just his linemates fault.

While I am sure there is some logic behind his training methods how do you think the team as a whole would perform if they all partook in the ame program where it takes the player half the year to really hit their stride? Imo despite the talent the team would be well out of a playoff spot.

The simple fact is that there are numerous young players in this league at various points in their physical development, but a great many of them have no issue being prepared to hit the ground running.

I really don't believe it should be acceptable for anyone to take half the season to get going especially when there are other methods and coaches out there that are able to get players prepped and ready to go for the start of October.

If Laine is sluggish again for chunk of the first half of the year then I would seriously start to question his routine.

Having said that I don't expect that to happen again as he was clearly annoyed with himself for his early season performance that I expect he will be ready to play at a high level at the start of the year.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He's working on his explosiveness. In a few seconds, when he least expects it, a starter pistol will fire and he'll have to leap to his feet, race to the pool, dive in and swim under water for 15 metres, then launch himself towards the bar where his Pina Colada awaits, drain it in 3s flat, then javelin the cocktail stick into a target bin. Over and over again, until his will plumb gives out...

I didn't hear anything about skating in that description... :sarcasm:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Laine looked sluggish and wasn't moving his feet enough during the first part of the year which was a factor in his first half uneven play. It wasn't just his linemates fault.

While I am sure there is some logic behind his training methods how do you think the team as a whole would perform if they all partook in the ame program where it takes the player half the year to really hit their stride? Imo despite the talent the team would be well out of a playoff spot.

The simple fact is that there are numerous young players in this league at various points in their physical development, but a great many of them have no issue being prepared to hit the ground running.

I really don't believe it should be acceptable for anyone to take half the season to get going especially when there are other methods and coaches out there that are able to get players prepped and ready to go for the start of October.

If Laine is sluggish again for chunk of the first half of the year then I would seriously start to question his routine.

Having said that I don't expect that to happen again as he was clearly annoyed with himself for his early season performance that I expect he will be ready to play at a high level at the start of the year.

LOL, to throw gas on the fire.... Don't we complain about Wheeler not showing up until the second half of the season every year?

Reactions: Ippenator

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I'm sure any negative impact from last off-season's training has been discussed and adjustments will be made. I seem to recall Morrissey being negatively impacted by one of his off season regimens and he seems to have turned out OK.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I thought this was funny (I don't know who this is but I cracked up when I saw rule #1):

"5 Off-Season Hockey Training Mistakes"

#1. Too much mobility work

Mobility has somewhat become a buzzword on social media these days and seems to have gained popularity only in the past 3-5 years or so. Which is kind of funny, all of a sudden everybody from your average couch potato to an NHL all-star should be on a full mobility system.

How come not before then, there was plenty of research?
I believe its popularity, along with activation work, is somewhat of a fad. Sure mobility and activation have their place and can they be affective? Absolutely! Does everybody need it? No, no they do not.

But when we talk mobility, it’s kind of a tough thing to define isn’t it?
Everybody seems to have a different definition of this and some cannot even define it at all and when asked will back up a little bit an unconfidently say something like “Well, like flexibility right?”
Kind of.

Mobility is best described as an intersection between three qualities:

1. Flexibility
2. Technique
3. Strength

Flexibility is a part of the equation because you need to have proper flexibility in order to perform the full range of motion through a given task. Therefore if you have flexibility issues it can either positively or negatively affect your mobility.
Technique is a part of the equation because a person’s technical skill may be poor enough as to present itself as an issue of mobility. For example, many people when in the hole of a squat (below parallel) tend to also bend over at the upper body and come out of the hole kind of in a squat / good morning motion. Mobility guys might jump all over this and look for tightness’s in the posterior chain when all the client might need is some proper technical coaching.

Lastly strength plays a large role in the topic of mobility because it is strength that is allowing you to remain stable throughout a range of motion. If you’re not strong enough to keep a fully postured back throughout a deep squat then that is a strength issue, not a flexibility issue. In another example, if you can’t lie on your back, extend your legs perpendicular with the ground and touch your toes this may be a weakness in the abdominals in order to bring your upper body off the ground and not a tightness in the back preventing you from moving.
So now that the intersections of mobility are a little clearer we can talk about the most important principal of all the principals of training, which is the principle of specificity.

Specificity is the principle of training that states that sports training should be relevant and appropriate to the sport for which the individual is training in order to produce a training effect. Meaning, anything and everything you guys do in and out of the gym in order to improve performance should be connected to improving your hockey performance in some way. In a far out example of an improper use of training specificity would be a power lifter running marathons in order to get better at power lifting, doesn’t make sense, not specific to the sport.

This also goes for mobility. More is not better.

Mobility is totally sport specific just like your training is. Do hockey players need to be as mobile as gymnasts? Of course not. Should hockey players be more mobile than a power lifter? You bet.
You’ve seen me talk about mobility in the past in reference to speed development for hockey players, BUT, what you didn’t hear me say is “more is better”. Because more is not better, more can actually be worse. Sprinters lower body’s are actually quite tight and this actually plays to their advantages because these guys are loaded like springs. Same goes for power lifters, it is actually advantageous for a power lifter to be tight (within reason obviously) as opposed to super loose.
Now as a strength and conditioning coach, would it be wise of me to un-tighten the sprinter and power lifter to the extent of a gymnast? Absolutely not! Why? Because that is not specific to their sport and can have negative outcomes.
Same goes for hockey players guys. If you’re one of these guys who is focusing way too much on total body super mobility you are only going to be getting better at mobility, not at hockey. When in hockey are you going to need to be crazy flexible? Almost never?
This is also important for time management. If you can only spend 4-6hrs per week on your off ice hockey development and you’re doing half hour “Mobility and activation” drills prior to every workout you are not wisely using your time. This time could be better used doing more strength work, conditioning work or skill work.
Once you have adequate mobility for hockey you need not reach for the stars in the world of mobility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad