Lafontaine, Robitaille, Gilmour

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I just thought it would make an interesting comparison :dunno:. Rank them 1 through 3, and give reasons.

Pat Lafontaine:

A fabulous offensive talent whose career was hampered and eventually ended prematurely by injury. 2nd best American player ever behind Chris Chelios.

-468g, 545a, 1013p in 865 games
-Defining season (1993): 148 points, 12 points in 7 playoff games
-championships: none

Luc Robitaille:

An incredible goal scorer, Robitaille started his career with 8 straight 40+ goal seasons. All-time leading scorer among LW's.

-668g, 726a, 1394p in 1431 games
-Defining season (1993): 63 goals, 22 points in 24 playoff games
-championships: one (detroit 2002)

Doug Gilmour:

Doug Gilmour was a tenacious 2-way centre with elite playmaking abilities. His playoff performances are the stuff of legend, as is Don Cherry's man-crush on him.

-450g, 964a, 1414p in 1474 games
-Defining season (1993): 127 points and Selke, 35 points in 21 playoff games.
-championships: one (calgary 1989)

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
1. Doug Gilmour - More of a complete package, his abilities went far beyond that of scoring.
2. Pat Lafontaine - Much more dominant at his peak, and did a lot of it by himself.
3. Luc Robitaille - While consistently a solid player, his best season came playing alongside the Great One, otherwise he was more a product of his generation/longevity.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
1. Gilmour. Really, really tough call between Gilmour and Patty LaFontaine. I went with Gilmour because he was the better playoff performer. They weren't mirror images in terms of style of play, but they had a lot of similarities. Both were smallish, but very gifted playmaking centres. They saw the ice well, and they made their teammates around them better. But they were both fearless. They backchecked, they ventured into the trouble areas, and they were both willing to take a hit to make a play. Gilmour was better defensively and a better leader. LaFontaine was the better offensive player. But if I was entering the post-season, I'd want Gilmour on my team. One of the best clutch players of his generation.

2. LaFontaine. So close behind Gilmour. Skill-wise, he's better. When he was healthy from 1988-1997, he was almost peerless. In 1989-90, he piggybacked an atrocious Islander team - a team that should have been battling for last overall - into the playoffs. More than 100 points on a team whose second-best forward was Brent Sutter. I've always felt that 1989-90 was LaFontaine's best year in terms of performance. The moment he stepped on the ice in Buffalo, he was magic. He would have scored more than 100 points that first year in Buffalo if not for a broken jaw suffered at the hands of Jaime Macoun. And then came the magic of 1992-93. He was never the same player after the knee injury in 1993-94, but when he did play, he was magic.

3. Robitaille. This is going to sound odd, but hear me out. Robitaille is the top-scoring LW of all-time. A sure-fire future HHOFer. But there was never a stretch in his career where he would have been my first choice of an NHL left-winger. From 1988 to 1991, it would have been Tikkanen. From 1991 to 1993, it would have been Kevin Stevens. Robitaille had the all-star team selections, but Tik and Stevens were much better when it counted most: the playoffs. Incidentally, Robitaille was benched several times during the Kings Cup run in 1993. Numbers looked good, but he was decreasingly effective as the playoffs went along. After 1993, you had Shanahan and Kariya. Robitaille did, of course, have longevity that none of those players, except for Shanahan, could come close to. Within five feet of the net, Robitaille is one of the best ever. He had those incredibly soft hands in tight. He had great hand-eye coordination and a very effective shot. While he wasn't physical, I'd never describe Robitaille as soft. It'd be criminal to describe anyone who takes that kind of pounding in front of the net as "soft."

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
1. Doug Gilmour - More of a complete package, his abilities went far beyond that of scoring.
2. Pat Lafontaine - Much more dominant at his peak, and did a lot of it by himself.
3. Luc Robitaille - While consistently a solid player, his best season came playing alongside the Great One, otherwise he was more a product of his generation/longevity.

That is wrong. Gretzky was hurt half the season. The center Luc played with the most that year was Jari Kurri. Its a common mistake that people make with Luc that year

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
That is wrong. Gretzky was hurt half the season. The center Luc played with the most that year was Jari Kurri. Its a common mistake that people make with Luc that year

Robitaille was great that year. And was awesome in many of his Los Angeles years sans Gretzky. But still he wasn't as good at his peak as either LaFontaine or Gilmour. Gilmour at his peak for 3 years in Toronto was almost the perfect all around player. Aside from the Freak Superstar players like Howe, Orr, Mario and Gretzky those are some of the best seasons ever put up by anyone in NHL history. Gilmour was so dominant in every single aspect of the game and was an amazing leader and raised his game at the right time in the playoffs. In the 93 and 94 playoffs Gilmour played like few have ever played.

I would guess that Bobby Clarke in the 1970's on the Flyers (with 3 Harts) was the closest comparision to Gilmour in Toronto.

I'll go 1) Gilmour 2) Lafontaine 3) Robitaille - All Hall of Famers and all great players

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Robitaille was great that year. And was awesome in many of his Los Angeles years sans Gretzky. But still he wasn't as good at his peak as either LaFontaine or Gilmour. Gilmour at his peak for 3 years in Toronto was almost the perfect all around player. Aside from the Freak Superstar players like Howe, Orr, Mario and Gretzky those are some of the best seasons ever put up by anyone in NHL history. Gilmour was so dominant in every single aspect of the game and was an amazing leader and raised his game at the right time in the playoffs. In the 93 and 94 playoffs Gilmour played like few have ever played.

I would guess that Bobby Clarke in the 1970's on the Flyers (with 3 Harts) was the closest comparision to Gilmour in Toronto.

I'll go 1) Gilmour 2) Lafontaine 3) Robitaille - All Hall of Famers and all great players

Except Gilmour's not in the hall yet.

And they inducted Dick Duff.

My ranking....
Gilmour - complete player, adn for two years was the very best all-roudn player in the game
Lafontaine - an explosive offensive force who was for a few seasons, top 5 in the game.
Robitaille - great player, but as someone said, a product of his era and his longevity.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Except Gilmour's not in the hall yet.

And they inducted Dick Duff.

My ranking....
Gilmour - complete player, adn for two years was the very best all-roudn player in the game
Lafontaine - an explosive offensive force who was for a few seasons, top 5 in the game.
Robitaille - great player, but as someone said, a product of his era and his longevity.

Except Gilmour won't have to wait for 30 years to be inducted like Duff. He will only wait a few.

Transported Upstater

1. Gilmour. Really, really tough call between Gilmour and Patty LaFontaine. I went with Gilmour because he was the better playoff performer. They weren't mirror images in terms of style of play, but they had a lot of similarities. Both were smallish, but very gifted playmaking centres. They saw the ice well, and they made their teammates around them better. But they were both fearless. They backchecked, they ventured into the trouble areas, and they were both willing to take a hit to make a play. Gilmour was better defensively and a better leader. LaFontaine was the better offensive player. But if I was entering the post-season, I'd want Gilmour on my team. One of the best clutch players of his generation.

2. LaFontaine. So close behind Gilmour. Skill-wise, he's better. When he was healthy from 1988-1997, he was almost peerless. In 1989-90, he piggybacked an atrocious Islander team - a team that should have been battling for last overall - into the playoffs. More than 100 points on a team whose second-best forward was Brent Sutter. I've always felt that 1989-90 was LaFontaine's best year in terms of performance. The moment he stepped on the ice in Buffalo, he was magic. He would have scored more than 100 points that first year in Buffalo if not for a broken jaw suffered at the hands of Jaime Macoun. And then came the magic of 1992-93. He was never the same player after the knee injury in 1993-94, but when he did play, he was magic.

3. Robitaille. This is going to sound odd, but hear me out. Robitaille is the top-scoring LW of all-time. A sure-fire future HHOFer. But there was never a stretch in his career where he would have been my first choice of an NHL left-winger. From 1988 to 1991, it would have been Tikkanen. From 1991 to 1993, it would have been Kevin Stevens. Robitaille had the all-star team selections, but Tik and Stevens were much better when it counted most: the playoffs. Incidentally, Robitaille was benched several times during the Kings Cup run in 1993. Numbers looked good, but he was decreasingly effective as the playoffs went along. After 1993, you had Shanahan and Kariya. Robitaille did, of course, have longevity that none of those players, except for Shanahan, could come close to. Within five feet of the net, Robitaille is one of the best ever. He had those incredibly soft hands in tight. He had great hand-eye coordination and a very effective shot. While he wasn't physical, I'd never describe Robitaille as soft. It'd be criminal to describe anyone who takes that kind of pounding in front of the net as "soft."

For all the random crap you see on HF, I still keep coming back, and will keep renewing my sponsorship.

Why?

Because of posts like the one above.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Lafontaine
Gilmour
Robitaille

All are great players. I will say that Lafontaine is the player who I think deserved a Cup that never won one, more then anyone else in history (Dave won his in 04, and yes I'm including Marcel). It's a shame he came on the Island the last year of the dynasty, and when we lost in the finals. I'd argue that his career with the Isles was a team struggling to make playoffs. Yes by the end I'd agree with you, but in the beggining to mid? With guys like Gilies, Potvin, Trottier, Bossy also on the team I really disagree with you.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Lafontaine
Gilmour
Robitaille

All are great players. I will say that Lafontaine is the player who I think deserved a Cup that never won one, more then anyone else in history (Dave won his in 04, and yes I'm including Marcel). It's a shame he came on the Island the last year of the dynasty, and when we lost in the finals. I'd argue that his career with the Isles was a team struggling to make playoffs. Yes by the end I'd agree with you, but in the beggining to mid? With guys like Gilies, Potvin, Trottier, Bossy also on the team I really disagree with you.
Those who are regulars around here know that I'm not a big Marcel Dionne fan. I've met the guy. Of the sports celebrites I've met and interviewed (and there are a lot, not as many as classichockey, but there are many), Dionne is easily the one who impressed me the least. I don't feel bad for him that he never won a Cup. He was a terrible playoff performer; 45 points in 49 games is appaling for a player of his calibre, and a testament to his lack of a big game mentality. It really impacts how I look at him among the all-time greats.

Trevor Linden is my all-time favourite player. I really don't know how I'd react if he got a ring as a player, especially if it came in Vancouver. (I don't see that happening though). So obviously he's my pick for the guy I want to see get a ring.

Brad Park, IMO, is the best player without a ring. Guys who deserve one? LaFontaine is definitely up there. So are Park and Linden. Norm Ullman, Dale Hawerchuk and Gilbert Perreault come to mind as well. (Talked to Perreault the same night I talked to Dionne. A complete contrast in class). Brian Propp is one of the best clutch players without a ring, and boy did he deserve one.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Those who are regulars around here know that I'm not a big Marcel Dionne fan. I've met the guy. Of the sports celebrites I've met and interviewed (and there are a lot, not as many as classichockey, but there are many), Dionne is easily the one who impressed me the least. I don't feel bad for him that he never won a Cup. He was a terrible playoff performer; 45 points in 49 games is appaling for a player of his calibre, and a testament to his lack of a big game mentality. It really impacts how I look at him among the all-time greats.

Trevor Linden is my all-time favourite player. I really don't know how I'd react if he got a ring as a player, especially if it came in Vancouver. (I don't see that happening though). So obviously he's my pick for the guy I want to see get a ring.

Brad Park, IMO, is the best player without a ring. Guys who deserve one? LaFontaine is definitely up there. So are Park and Linden. Norm Ullman, Dale Hawerchuk and Gilbert Perreault come to mind as well. (Talked to Perreault the same night I talked to Dionne. A complete contrast in class). Brian Propp is one of the best clutch players without a ring, and boy did he deserve one.

I agree with everything you said, except I do think that Lafontaine is the most deserving to never get the cup (the names you mentioned def. are up there as well, just a difference of oppinion I guess). I've heard that Dione is a jerk.

I am bias for Lafontaine since A)I'm an Islander fan, BUT when I say most deserving I also mean as a person, along with being a great player. Lafontaine hands down is the nicest NHL legend I've ever met (including Gretz, Bossy and some other big names). I'll never forget when I met him on Long Island (when he was a Sabre), I noticed him on the ice, so when he got off I knocked on the lockerroom door, he answered said wait one moment he had to get changed. I think I was like 8-9 at the time. So he comes out, and talked with me for about 10-15 minutes, he really cared in what I had to say. He walks off, and I thought he was blowing me off, then he picks up a puck off of the ground, signs it and hands it to me. He's such a great guy, and has done a lot of good for Long Island and Buffalo.

So yeah I am bias, but it's common knowledge around the hockey world that he is one of the best guys on and off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->