Lafleur's 1980 playoff injury

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I was wondering if anyone can recall the details of his injury and when it happened. I heard that Pat Boutette hit him knee on knee and then I have also heard that he broke an ankle in practice when Chartraw hit him with a shot. He played in all three games of the Hartford series, scoring a goal in the first period of game 3 but then nothing the rest of the game. I'm sure someone out there can fill in the details.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Not sure if it was 1980 or in the 1981 Canada Cup but he got into a car accident where Wayne Gretzky was a passenger. Lafleur was so destructive off the ice he derailed the latter half of his career.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Not sure if it was 1980 or in the 1981 Canada Cup but he got into a car accident where Wayne Gretzky was a passenger. Lafleur was so destructive off the ice he derailed the latter half of his career.
I don't remember the accident with Gretzky, but I do remember Lafleur's March 1981 car accident, where he fell asleep at the wheel and some type of steel pole came through the windshield, it could have killed him but just skimmed his head, I think.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I don't remember the accident with Gretzky, but I do remember Lafleur's March 1981 car accident, where he fell asleep at the wheel and some type of steel pole came through the windshield, it could have killed him but just skimmed his head, I think.

How he didn't die in this accident is a miracle.

the-damaged-car-of-montreal-canadiens-guy-lafleur-with-a-pol.jpeg

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I was wondering if anyone can recall the details of his injury and when it happened. I heard that Pat Boutette hit him knee on knee and then I have also heard that he broke an ankle in practice when Chartraw hit him with a shot. He played in all three games of the Hartford series, scoring a goal in the first period of game 3 but then nothing the rest of the game. I'm sure someone out there can fill in the details.
I don't remember the details of the injury, but this 1980 SI article mentions it. Apparently, he was going to play in the next round, if they'd won.

LES CANADIENS ARE LAID TO REST

Reactions: LeBlondeDemon10

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I remember seeing a clip of that on tv but Lafleur was just such a cool guy.

Like James Bond he might have a close shave here and there he always came out looking like a guy on top.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Wow. I had heard the accident described but have never seen this photo. This belongs in the “great photos” thread.

I saw this picture as a kid when it happened. It's been close to 40 yrs and it still freaks me out.

Here's a picture from the front of the car.

DIuIu8uUMAE7ilb.jpg

Reactions: mrhockey193195

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Apparently that pole through the windshield took off part of Lafleur's ear. My friends used to tease me that Lafleur tried to pierce his ear with a telephone pole.

Reactions: rfournier103

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Was Lafleur quite a party-boy back in the disco era? I mean, he made a disco record...

Yeah, there seems to be alot stories about him and the party lifestyle.

He'd be a good guest to get on a podcast like spittin chiclets if he opens up.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Yes, Lafleur was kneed by Boutette. Dirty play. First of a series of circumstances that took away the biggest edge he had on the pack, his speed. He was always about speed. Once he lost it, he just couldn’t or didn’t know how to reinvent himself like others have been able to. Up to that point, I think I only saw one player as a better skater, Bobby Orr.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yes, Lafleur was kneed by Boutette. Dirty play. First of a series of circumstances that took away the biggest edge he had on the pack, his speed. He was always about speed. Once he lost it, he just couldn’t or didn’t know how to reinvent himself like others have been able to. Up to that point, I think I only saw one player as a better skater, Bobby Orr.
Interesting. I'd read in some places that Lafleur was mainly known for his blinding speed when he was young and in his early prime years. I read some player's memory of joining the NHL in the mid-70s (can't recall who it was now), and he said he just couldn't handle the speed of Guy Lafleur, who was the fastest guy he'd ever seen in his life.

(I never saw Lafleur player except when he was old and sluggish with NYR and Quebec.)

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

This might have been a carryover from when Boutette was a Leaf. THey had a few bitter series in 78 and 79. There's video of Boutette attacking Lafleur in a 79 game when he was a Leaf. Tremblay fought him in the same game (and lost).

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I liked Lafleur's comment:

"If I were 35 and in the last year of my contract," Lafleur said, "maybe I'd go out and skate on one leg. But I'm only 28. I don't want to end up like Bobby Orr. It's more important for me to play for this team another five years than for us to win another Cup."

It's interesting for two reasons:
-- No player in later eras would dare be this honest with the media and say his own career and health was more important than the Cup
-- There's an unfortunate irony to his comment, because 40 years later all we hear is that "Lafleur had only six great seasons" and this moment he's being quoted is end of those six. Maybe he should have played on one leg after all...?

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad