Lafleur vs Dionne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
How are we suppose to know? He(Dionne) could have been great(Or greater than he is now :D ), he(Dionne) could have been a bust... We're not sure. Alot of these questions are asked, but none of us are really sure how a player would have turned out.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Russian_fanatic said:
How are we suppose to know? He(Dionne) could have been great(Or greater than he is now :D ), he(Dionne) could have been a bust... We're not sure. Alot of these questions are asked, but none of us are really sure how a player would have turned out.
I ask because i think Dionne got shafted out of breaking G Howes alltime record i dont believe the Nhl wanted it broken before Gretzky did it. He was 79 pts short and still getting almost a point a game. His last season he only played in 34 gms.
Only the second time he wasnt a point per game. I was a big Oiler fan and was glad when Gretzky finally broke the record but i think Dionne might of done it sooner. It would of been ironic if Dionne was still in LA when Gretz arrived. On just powerplays alone Gretz would of been setting up Dionne for the record. It would of been close as to who hit it first.

Last 2 years Dionne with NYR 118gms 98pts 75 short of Howes record.
Gretz at the end of Dionnes last yr only needed 13 pts. Dionne missed close to 50 gms since he was traded to NY.The only time in his career since 82-83 that he missed any significant amount of time.

Last edited:

KOVALEV10*

Well both men were great players and I bet all my money if Dionne played in MTL instead of Lafleur then he would have been as famous as Guy was. Dionne managed to get almost as much points as Lafleur during the 70-s and all time has more goals and points and he did that on a very poor LA team.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Just going over some stats.

Dionne started his NHL career at 20 yrs old.
Gretz had appox 200 NHL points by the time he was 20. He played approx 120 gms.
Dionne averaged 1.06 pts per gm his first 3 years. If he was allowed to play at 18 like Gretz he could of had an extra 100 pts. He only needed 75 to break Howes record. He would of done it before Gretz. Gretz would have still smashed the record by over 800 pts if he didnt start playing before the age of 20 but Dionne would of done it first.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Im only 20 years old but I have always felt like if Dionne have stayed in Detroit or been drafted by Montreal he would be much more famous than what he is now and have a much more productive and better career. Its too bad I never got the chance to see him play, but it is alright I will have the chance to see an improved version of Dionne with more defense and a physial edge in Crosby :)

I.am.ca

Don't these what if's get boring..Ever?

What if Daigle really loved hockey and never lost his love for the game, would he be one of the stars of the league?

What if Lindros didn't have a concussion problem, would he still be a flyer?

What if...

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
I.am.ca said:
Don't these what if's get boring..Ever?

What if Daigle really loved hockey and never lost his love for the game, would he be one of the stars of the league?

What if Lindros didn't have a concussion problem, would he still be a flyer?

What if...

What if... They accually settled thier labour dispute so we wouldnt be thinking what if. Its just something to comment on dude...

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Roberto Luongo said:
Im only 20 years old but I have always felt like if Dionne have stayed in Detroit or been drafted by Montreal he would be much more famous than what he is now and have a much more productive and better career. Its too bad I never got the chance to see him play, but it is alright I will have the chance to see an improved version of Dionne with more defense and a physial edge in Crosby :)
Accually Dionne had a more productive career then Lafleur but he didnt become a french canadian hero like Guy. Growing up i was a Mon fan, my favorite player was Cournoyer. As for Mr Crosby i really hope he is the next superstar i think hockey will need a huge drawing card when this BS is settled. Im concerned about if he can stay healthy. I hope he has what ever version of a modern day Semenko to keep guys from taking liberties with him. His extra physical edge may hinder his career. hes got to learn to avoid checks at 5 11, 180 or even 200 you cant get hit game in game out. He sure sounded disapointed that he couldnt compete for the QMJHL allstars. Maybe he should learn to play lacrosse like Gretzky so he can learn to roll away when someone trys to paste him. The most amazing think about Grezky was the fact he survived as long as he did without a serious injury.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
jcorb58 said:
I ask because i think Dionne got shafted out of breaking G Howes alltime record i dont believe the Nhl wanted it broken before Gretzky did it. He was 79 pts short and still getting almost a point a game. His last season he only played in 34 gms.

...and got 23 points. That's nowhere near a point a game. He was done. At the rate he was declining, he'd have needed at least another full season and a half, maybe two, to catch Howe, by which time Gretzky would have long since passed him.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Dionne is without a doubt one of the all time greats, despite playing on poor LA teams for the better of his career. He would have been even more noticed had he played in Montreal just like any French player who never played there (Perreault, Ratelle) but take a look at those mind boggling stats he put up over the years. He was just one of the guys who no matter where or who he played with he put up good points. And that can never be underestimated.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
jcorb58 said:
How would these guys careers have changed if Mon drafted Dionne instead of Lafleur? Would Dionne thrived in Mon and become a great playoff preformer ?

Simple answer, yes. Dionne was just as skilled, albeit not as flash, and yet, far more durable.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Imo, Lafleur had the much higher peak, but Dionne was able to stay a high level longer..mainly due to injuries and the fact that Dionne played in an offensive style in L.A. in the 80's while Lafleur was stuck in a defensive minded system that ultimately lead to his first retirement.

Thought I would also mention that the habs were very, very close to landing the pick to draft BOTH players in 1971. Supposablely the deal to land the habs the 2nd overall pick was pretty much worked out but one detail couldn't be worked out...don't recall the whole story, but just imagining how great a Shutt-Dionne-Lafleur line would of done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad